Low HP Cobra, or more Break in needed? Opinions wanted

MJ32V

Established Member
You need to put more miles on car... don't be easy with it. Get on it more often... get into boost any vary RPMs. Road conditions/surface will have big influence on wheel spin also. Took my car a while to break in. Yours is probably fine. Take it to dyno at 1,000 miles.

MJ

Mowgli

Established Member
I want to amend my above post. Tried this again this morning on commute into work. Dry road, a little cool (mid to high 60s). Had no problem breaking them loose in 1st. Tried at rpm ~2200, don't know what corresponding mph, but it spun them without hesitation, then the TC came on and ruined the party.

Then tried 2nd. Second gear at 3000 rpm, same thing, lit them up without hesitation.

Currently have ~4400 miles on the car.

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

Network, go to www.dynojet.com and go to their dyno locator. There are two or three in Charlotte other than Nascar teams that will dyno your car. Do not try to get it done on Saturday if possible. I tried a couple of them and they said they were racing and didn't have time. You also have Hendren's Racing Engines in Rutherfordton and Hoyles Auto Sales in Taylorsville. A dyno will give you piece of mind. Road surfaces make a lot of difference and how you step on it and the orientation of the car. I have 464 rwhp with 4.10's and it will light them from a slight roll. I think if you accelerate up and let off and then hit it it will spin a lot easier. But, don't use this as a way to tell what kind of power you are making.

If you ever up in Hickory look me up. I'm well into mods and don't mind helping.

Larry

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
Network, go to www.dynojet.com and go to their dyno locator. There are two or three in Charlotte other than Nascar teams that will dyno your car. Do not try to get it done on Saturday if possible. I tried a couple of them and they said they were racing and didn't have time. You also have Hendren's Racing Engines in Rutherfordton and Hoyles Auto Sales in Taylorsville. A dyno will give you piece of mind. Road surfaces make a lot of difference and how you step on it and the orientation of the car. I have 464 rwhp with 4.10's and it will light them from a slight roll. I think if you accelerate up and let off and then hit it it will spin a lot easier. But, don't use this as a way to tell what kind of power you are making.

If you ever up in Hickory look me up. I'm well into mods and don't mind helping.

Larry

Larry,

If I'm ever in the Hickory area I will definitely look you up. I contacted one of the dyno shops to try to get pricing. If it's very expensive it will have to wait, as I am trying to come up with the $$ to pay off the Z28. For now, I am going to run it at the strip and see what I get. Not entirely accurate, but it will at least give me an idea (and I'm no stranger to dragstrips, though this will be my first time with a manual on a strip).

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
my car performs the exact same way (except now with the x pipe it usually spins through first) but before the x pipe it would just go, no spinning, slight chirps through 2nd and 3rd, i thought something was wrong, it sure as hell felt fast. so i took it to the track and it performed fine, 12.76@111 w/2.009 60', so it probably could of gone 12.4 or 12.5 with a 1.8, 1.9 60'. and that is with only catback and silencer removed. which i think is right up to par with everyone else. especially the 111 mph. so if i was you i would just take it down to the track and see how it performs. and if you would think about it, i would rather have traction,than wheelspin, makes it so much easier at the track. i think this car is so much easier to launch then the old 5.0s.

junglehyped

Established Member
dont sweat it!!!!!

I was one of the first to post dyno numbers here,and it was a pathetic 344 rwhp,as soon as i got 3500 miles on it it really woke up im sure it would dyno higher now!!I just recently took it to ciccil and ran a 12.8 @ 110.6 with a 2.0 60 foot all stock except for a k&n and silencer yanked so i know it will dyno better next time!!!Dont worry itll break in soon then all will be well!!!!just keep a nose out for a sulfer kinda smell then you might have the clogged cats issue......

:beer: :beer: :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread