Losing boost

2003 Cobra Kid

Established Member
I have been lossing boost at like 5500 rpm in 2nd gear down to like 5-6 pounds. Stock pulley idk what it could be spark blowout maybe? Or belt slip but its stock besides cold air, mid pipe, and cat back.
Thanks, Joe

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Hmmm... Did you buy it new? How many miles are on the car? I would say belt slip, I don't think it would be spark plug blow out. Does the car hesitaite as you're trying to accelerate?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Look for rubber deposits on hood and coolant crossover pipe as evidence of major belt slip

Fix might be as simple as installing a new belt

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
...I also solved a boost loss issue by going from the JLT CAI to the RAI.

Boost should not be a factor in deciding which intake is best for your application

Power is what's important

You want to make the most power with the LEAST amount of boost

2003 Cobra Kid

Established Member
no did not buy the car new and has 74000 on it now, have an aux idler in my room but not on car yet, and it does not hesitate when accelerating so seems like belt slip

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Well if the car has the srtock pulley i'm assuming it still has the cover, there is a possibility it has a lower but highly unlikely. My vote goes with belt slip, with that many miles you should replace the belt anyway. I'm sure it'll cure your issue. FWIW if you do have the guard on you will have issues putting on that aux idler lol I wouldn't worry about putting on that pulley until you replace the blower pulley and have it tuned.

Josh

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Like JB said, check for visible signs of belt slip. If you've got slippage you should find belt dust deposits.

mike302

03BLKVENM
Established Member
I have been lossing boost at like 5500 rpm in 2nd gear down to like 5-6 pounds. Stock pulley idk what it could be spark blowout maybe? Or belt slip but its stock besides cold air, mid pipe, and cat back.
Thanks, Joe

are your heads in good condition, may be the valve guides/seals are going bad and boost is escaping from there:shrug: is there anything out of the ordinary like stalling, smoke, noises???

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
how do you solve that problem I'm also losing about 3PSI I put on a even tighter belt than when I got it tuned and at the tune it made 15PSI???:shrug:

Well the only way to check it at WOT would be on a dyno, but you can see it on the side of the blower. Under WOT watch to make sure the lever stays down on the bolt, closing the hole and not letting boost leak. If it creeps up at all then it might be letting some leak. Unscrew the two bolts that hold it on, push the cylinder down a bit then tighten the screws back. How do you know you are losing boost?

mike302

03BLKVENM
Established Member
Well the only way to check it at WOT would be on a dyno, but you can see it on the side of the blower. Under WOT watch to make sure the lever stays down on the bolt, closing the hole and not letting boost leak. If it creeps up at all then it might be letting some leak. Unscrew the two bolts that hold it on, push the cylinder down a bit then tighten the screws back. How do you know you are losing boost?

I only see like 11-12PSI on my guage, and I was at 15PSI when I got it tuned:shrug: my car pulled beautifully made 460/491 now i feel like I have 400-410 and just like 2 days ago my I gave it nearly full throttle got like half way on boost as I was accelerating to get into freeway and it felt like it cut off almost like if I hit the brakes:shrug:then it picked up again

Users who are viewing this thread