Looking to pop my Terminator Cherry....what ya think about this thing??

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
forgive my ignorance.....ya mean cause of like roll tide lol

Lol, no! Because BAMA tunes aren't the greatest when it comes to a highly modified car. BAMA Performance is the full name.

Tuning thru data logging or on the Dyno is the safest way to go. A bad tune on a Cobra is not too forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobramort

Established Member
My opinion is if you can buy it right, it looks like a lot of the cosmetic stuff can be cured in a weekend with a good detailing. If it all checks out mechanically, go for it and clean her up.
But I also agree, a few G's more could likely get you a significantly nicer car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I purchased my silver 2003 Vert in 2016 with 75K miles on it for 16K including TTL.

Original owner lived in San Diego and second owner lived in Phoenix. I was given a book of receipts when I bought it and it seemed the original owner attempted to take good care of it. Not sure what the second owner did. Second owner claimed he only had the car 8 months, but here is the list (most of this is minor, but it bothered me):

Brake fluid looked like it was never changed.

Brake calipers and rotors were in bad shape visually (Calipers needed to be cleaned and rotors/pads needed to be replaced).

There was a horrible rattling coming from under the car. Turned out to be the clutch cable cover was not seated properly.

Hood had rock chips in it so bad it looked like it was driven behind a gravel truck (I painted it myself and got it back up to standard).

Hood liner looked like crap and was stained horribly (I replaced it).

All the bearings in the idler pulley's were shot and needed to be changed.

Both inner and outer belts needed to be changed.

Radiator fluid needed to be changed.

Seats had some "pile" up on them and needed to be sanded to remove it.

Interior switches had all the information rubbed off.

Spare tire was "missing."

Cold air intake filter was mounted upside down (i.e. the silver seam was facing up where you could see it instead of facing down).

Car has Black "Bullitt" style wheels mounted on it. (This actually looks decent to me, so no plans to replace at this point, but i know Cobra purist don't like them).

I think that's about it LOL. Yes, I know I'm anal about the small S#!T compared to some of the problems others have had to deal with.

So (after all that information LOL), if you're able to do some mechanical work and the car is good to go over all mechanically then I say 13.5K is a good price even though it needs some paint work and a new top.

Datman

Established Member
I purchased my silver 2003 Vert in 2016 with 75K miles on it for 16K including TTL.

Original owner lived in San Diego and second owner lived in Phoenix. I was given a book of receipts when I bought it and it seemed the original owner attempted to take good care of it. Not sure what the second owner did. Second owner claimed he only had the car 8 months, but here is the list (most of this is minor, but it bothered me):

Brake calipers and rotors were in bad shape visually (Calipers needed to be cleaned and rotors/pads needed to be replaced).

There was a horrible rattling coming from under the car. Turned out to be the clutch cable cover was not seated properly.

Hood had rock chips in it so bad it looked like it was driven behind a gravel truck (I painted it myself and got it back up to standard).

Cold air intake filter was mounted upside down (i.e. the silver seam was facing up where you could see it instead of facing down).

Car has Black "Bullitt" style wheels mounted on it. (This actually looks decent to me, so no plans to replace at this point, but i know Cobra purist don't like them).

I think that's about it LOL. Yes, I know I'm anal about the small S#!T compared to some of the problems others have had to deal with.

So (after all that information LOL), if you're able to do some mechanical work and the car is good to go over all mechanically then I say 13.5K is a good price even though it needs some paint work and a new top.

I can get it for under $12,500. I think it will be more than a few grand to get a lower mileage, better cosmetic shape one...you are talking $6K more, at least.....The dealership is sending him and me the service records via email on it today.. Also, he has agreed to let the delearship perform the compression test and a multi-point inspection before I buy..... I will probably be putting about 50 miles a week on the car, if that.... Not sure its worth it to put up 50% money than what I can get this one for, being the compression and inspection results are good!....
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS!!!! I greatly appreciate it!

Datman

Established Member

Ohhhh 380r.....its funny i see your name......I looked at a 2003 380r, red w/ 32k miles a few weeks ago! I was tempted but i didnt pull the trigger...I could get it for $9k. it needs new brake pads, 2 owner car!!! its still for sale i belive...I even called roush and they confirmed its a true 380r...I was trying to message you, but I cant seem to figure out how to on here!

RichM1983

Established Member
I paid 12k including taxes, title, and license for an 03 and ended up being 17-17.5 in it because I had to have it perfect. I couldn't afford that much at once so I went with the cheaper car and then slowly did what I needed.

In the end I paid for some paint work, a good set of factory wheels (sating and chrome...wasted some money), rebuilt the tans, and took the entire underside and interior of the car apart and cleaned/painted/detailed whatever was needed. Lots of nickel and dime stuff. The car was cleaner than most cars with half the miles or less once I was done though. Mine had 81k. Life changed and I sold it for 16 and felt like I shoulda held out for closer to 17. That doesn't count the many many many hours of my time.

The point is that if I would have spent 18k I MAY have had a better car but then again maybe not. I didn't have 18k at the time so it didn't matter. I went into it knowing this and don't regret it though. Well I wish I still had it but otherwise...no regret. I got lucky though. The motor was 100% stock and still healthy with pretty good compression.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/back-in-a-cobra.1041694/

Datman

Established Member
I paid 12k including taxes, title, and license for an 03 and ended up being 17-17.5 in it because I had to have it perfect. I couldn't afford that much at once so I went with the cheaper car and then slowly did what I needed.

In the end I paid for some paint work, a good set of factory wheels (sating and chrome...wasted some money), rebuilt the tans, and took the entire underside and interior of the car apart and cleaned/painted/detailed whatever was needed. Lots of nickel and dime stuff. The car was cleaner than most cars with half the miles or less once I was done though. Mine had 81k. Life changed and I sold it for 16 and felt like I shoulda held out for closer to 17. That doesn't count the many many many hours of my time.

The point is that if I would have spent 18k I MAY have had a better car but then again maybe not. I didn't have 18k at the time so it didn't matter. I went into it knowing this and don't regret it though. Well I wish I still had it but otherwise...no regret. I got lucky though. The motor was 100% stock and still healthy with pretty good compression.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/back-in-a-cobra.1041694/

Yea, I dont need it perfect, and I dont expect it to be perfect for the price...just somewhat reliable...thats why Im happy the seller agreed to let ford check it out for me....If the compression comes back good and no other major issues, then I think paying $12,500 or less is worth it.....

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, I dont need it perfect, and I dont expect it to be perfect for the price...just somewhat reliable...thats why Im happy the seller agreed to let ford check it out for me....If the compression comes back good and no other major issues, then I think paying $12,500 or less is worth it.....

You will love it. I came from a Foxbody as well, and the Cobra is just a special car. It makes me smile seeing it sitting in my garage all sinister looking, like it just wants to kill! You will enjoy it and the typical questions like "is that a real Terminator Cobra?!"

Anyhow, keep us posted on if you buy it or not. If you do, you have a ton of reading to do on here.

Datman

Established Member
You will love it. I came from a Foxbody as well, and the Cobra is just a special car. It makes me smile seeing it sitting in my garage all sinister looking, like it just wants to kill! You will enjoy it and the typical questions like "is that a real Terminator Cobra?!"

Anyhow, keep us posted on if you buy it or not. If you do, you have a ton of reading to do on here.

For sure man! I appreciate all of the input.... heres my 86 gt....

Attachments

• 86 gt.jpg
    86 gt.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 91

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
For sure man! I appreciate all of the input.... heres my 86 gt....

Just curious, are you keeping the 86? I highly recommend you do if you can.

I traded my 89GT for my Roush. Since I have 2 Terminators now I regret that trade (Didn't have the Cobra's back then though). Should have kept my 89 and never got the Roush. 2 reasons. I like the 89GT better (I'd rather have a fox body and 2 new edge instead of 3 new edge) and the value of the Roush did not hold as I had hoped. So, spent a ton on the Roush and it's not worth that much now. I could have put that money into my 89 and had something really cool/special.

Datman

Established Member
Just curious, are you keeping the 86? I highly recommend you do if you can.

I traded my 89GT for my Roush. Since I have 2 Terminators now I regret that trade (Didn't have the Cobra's back then though). Should have kept my 89 and never got the Roush. 2 reasons. I like the 89GT better (I'd rather have a fox body and 2 new edge instead of 3 new edge) and the value of the Roush did not hold as I had hoped. So, spent a ton on the Roush and it's not worth that much now. I could have put that money into my 89 and had something really cool/special.

Yes, Im keeping the 86gt for now....Unless I get $8k for it lol........ Yea, the 380r hasnt held value which sucks.....I can still pick the 380r up for less than $9k but I dont think its worth it unfortunately. Its cool, but its a gt with a supercharger as you know..... thoughts on value of the 380r???

Datman

Established Member
Soooo this was interesting...I have the carfax on it...and on some of the reports they list the retail and trade in prices in the upper left hand corner...unsure why some of them show this and sometimes they dont show it....Well this morning I pulled up the car fax and the "retail" price jumped up about $1500 from yesterday. Nothing has changed on the report. Nothing was edited. Nothing. Just thought this was kinda odd.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yes, Im keeping the 86gt for now....Unless I get $8k for it lol........ Yea, the 380r hasnt held value which sucks.....I can still pick the 380r up for less than $9k but I dont think its worth it unfortunately. Its cool, but its a gt with a supercharger as you know..... thoughts on value of the 380r???

LOL, don't get me started. That car stickered at $50K ($25K for the GT and $25K for all the Roush options). So, to hear you can get one for less than $9K is a little upsetting to hear to say the least :mad:. Mine is practically brand new (only has 7500 miles on it). So, I would not let mine go for less than $27K (yes, I know, good luck with that when you can get a nice Terminator for that).

So, I will keep it. And for those who say I need to drive it more, just know, the only thing worse than the value of the Roush right now is trying to find Roush replacement parts. Stage3motorsports had to come up with an aftermarket rotor to replace the 14 inch Roush Alcon rotors...... And they are not cheap :(...

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
anything modded was molested, just take that with a grain of salt

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
That '86 looks sweet! It will probably collect dust once you really get to know that Cobra!

Users who are viewing this thread