Looking to get a new short throw shifter

Comp281

Established Member
Most people like the MGW. If you search you will find a bunch of debates and the MGW seems to be the top pick. Nice Mark. I had 4 Mark VII's over the years. They were fun and got me into mustangs. The Mark VIII is a sleeper!

mi03cobra

Established Member
To be perfectly honest if there isnt anything wrong with yours keep it stock. I was let down when I went aftermarket to just go aftermarket. I am going to put my stock one back on. I bought a steeda tri-ax and there isnt anything wrong with it, I just prefer the stock one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you want a shorter throw, absolutely go with an aftermarket shifter. Everyone has a preference, but the MGW would be at the top of my list, closely followed by Steeda and Pro 5.0.

Whichever one you choose, pick up a set of my shifter gaskets. Very inexpensive ($15.00) and it not only will help isolate tranny gear noise and vibration, it makes the install easier and cleaner because you don't use silicone sealer.

mi03cobra

Established Member
If you want a shorter throw, absolutely go with an aftermarket shifter. Everyone has a preference, but the MGW would be at the top of my list, closely followed by Steeda and Pro 5.0.

Whichever one you choose, pick up a set of my shifter gaskets. Very inexpensive ($15.00) and it not only will help isolate tranny gear noise and vibration, it makes the install easier and cleaner because you don't use silicone sealer.

Unless mine was already aftermarket ( which it sure didnt look like it) I didnt notice any difference in the length of throw. All I do know is the shifter I took out had a shorter handle and the neutral spring was tighter than the steeda.

Silverboost

Established Member
I have a pro 5.0 with a Steeda handle and I love it. I had the Steeda shifter before and it was terrible. Lot's of people rave about the MGW and I personally have never tried one.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Unless mine was already aftermarket ( which it sure didnt look like it) I didnt notice any difference in the length of throw. All I do know is the shifter I took out had a shorter handle and the neutral spring was tighter than the steeda.

I'd be willing to bet yours was already changed then. The difference between stock and my MGW is night and day. I also tried a Pro 5.0 but thought it was terrible compared to the MGW. But everyone's different: seat position, shifting style, shifter angle, etc..

Oh, and CobraBob's gaskets are well worth the $15.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

There is a difference. Less felt on the TriAx than on the MGW. Aftermarket shifter manufacturers modify the geometry of the shifter so that the travel distance of the shift lever is reduced. The pivot point is moved higher up the shift rod resulting in a shorter shift distance. Most short throw shifters include a shorter shift handle to complement the short throw shifter. You might have an aftermarket shifter installed already.

Here's a Steeda diagram showing the difference.

Tri-Ax_Throw_Diagram.jpg

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
Had the MGW and hated it, too notchy for me. Still have it actually, trying to sell it.
Went back to stock.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I had a steeda in my 99 cobra, and found it to be notchy compared to stock. When I got my 03 I had to order a shifter right away cause I was used to the shorter throw but opted for the MGW and haven't looked back. I thought the MGW was as smooth as stock but with a much shorter throw.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^
If you're loving your Pro 5.0, save your money and keep it. Spend the money on other mods. JMO. I just don't believe in changing a setup a person is very happy with.

JMoore112

JM0 SVT
Established Member
Just ordered the MGW today. I already have the Pro 5.0 in my 5.0 and do not have any complaints. Looking forward to seeing how the MGW compares. I just need to order one of Cobra Bob's gaskets now to go with my MGW.

HIonPSI

Established Member
MGW here...only got it cause i was sick of hyperextending my arm to get 3rd, 5th, and reverse - otherwise I kind of liked the stock shifter.

Happy with it but I eventually may try something else like a Pro 5.0. Had a Triax in my old cobra and hated it FYI.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have one car with a 5.0 and another with the MGW. To me they are both quality shifters and are above the rest of what's out there by head and shoulders. If i HAD to pick one over the other I would probably pick MGW by a hair.

Users who are viewing this thread