Looking for help/recommendations planning a possible San Diego vacation from folks who live, or have vacationed, there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So, we've been planning our June vacation and I've looked at past destinations like Maine, Long Beach (CA), Florida (west coast), and Maui. We'd like to go somewhere new that has nice beaches and lots of things to do/see other than laying on the beach. I started to investigate San Diego. The beaches there are nice, hotel prices (on the beach) are reasonable, and there are some cool things to do and see, including the USS Midway museum, San Diego Zoo, Naval Air Station. We're planning on staying there 8 nights.

So, those SVTP brethren who either live in San Diego or have vacationed there, do you have any recommendations as far as restaurants and places of interest to visit?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
@gimmie11s lives around there. Wife and I stayed in Coronado at the Coronado Hotel which was ok. I pretended to be a Navy SEAL at the bar after the wife went to the room to sleep.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Bali Hai restaurant on Shelter Island is nice - great Mai Tais.

Old Town Mexican Cafe is decent too.

Lajolla is close by but pricey. George’s at the Cove is a decent restaurant too.

North Island is also nice but pricey to stay

Gas Lamp quarter in Downtown San Diego is worth a visit

01yellercobra

Established Member
@Black Gold 380R

He usually gets a condo in Pacific Beach I think. Unless you have ID you won't be able to get on base. But you can see the ships from across the harbor. Two of them are out on deployment right now, but should be back by June.

The wife and I like to do the Sheer Water behind the Del for our anniversary. My friends like Island Prime on Shelter Island. Old Spaghetti Factory downtown is good too.

Let me know what dates and I might be able to buy you a beer.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@gimmie11s lives around there. Wife and I stayed in Coronado at the Coronado Hotel which was ok. I pretended to be a Navy SEAL at the bar after the wife went to the room to sleep.
Was it the Coronado Island Marriott Resort? That's on my list, but I'm leaning towards staying a bit north at the Sea Bird Resort (Hyatt) which is in Oceanside, on the beach. We'll likely make a day trip or two to Long Beach and Manhattan Beach. It looks to be about $150 cheaper per night (still not cheap, though, LOL).

@Black Gold 380R

He usually gets a condo in Pacific Beach I think. Unless you have ID you won't be able to get on base. But you can see the ships from across the harbor. Two of them are out on deployment right now, but should be back by June.

The wife and I like to do the Sheer Water behind the Del for our anniversary. My friends like Island Prime on Shelter Island. Old Spaghetti Factory downtown is good too.

Let me know what dates and I might be able to buy you a beer.
I plan to apply for an ID through the VA to gain access to the base. Pretty easy process that takes about 2 weeks from what I've read on the base's website. I can get into the Navy Exchange, too. I just have to check to see if my wife can go into the base with me.

Thanks for the tips on Island Prime and the Old Spaghetti Factory. (y)

If we do go, which is looking positive unless a Caribbean vacation ends up being cheaper. The dates would likely be from June 19 to June 27.

It would be awesome to see at least one CVN carrier docked while we were there.

Bali Hai restaurant on Shelter Island is nice - great Mai Tais.

Old Town Mexican Cafe is decent too.

Lajolla is close by but pricey. George’s at the Cove is a decent restaurant too.

North Island is also nice but pricey to stay

Gas Lamp quarter in Downtown San Diego is worth a visit
Thanks for those tips! So noted.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
After reviewing the base regulations for veterans, it appears that even with an approved pass I could only visit the Exchange complex. I wouldn't be able to just drive around the base and get a closer look at a carrier. Not a deal killer. I can still visit the USS Midway museum and tour the ship.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Was it the Coronado Island Marriott Resort?
We stayed at the Hotel Coronado. It’s like a historic hotel there and overlooks the Navy base. Wife said it was old and kinda dirty but she’s really uppity. I thought it was a nice place.

01yellercobra

Established Member
After reviewing the base regulations for veterans, it appears that even with an approved pass I could only visit the Exchange complex. I wouldn't be able to just drive around the base and get a closer look at a carrier. Not a deal killer. I can still visit the USS Midway museum and tour the ship.
That's really odd. I've used my VA card to get on other bases and didn't have a problem going around base. If you're wanting to see a CVN I'll see if they still do the tours.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Coronado Island is great. I live about 2 hours north of San Diego, but wife and I stayed at the Marriot Resort on Coronado earlier this year and loved it.

Walk outside the hotel and take the Coronado Ferry to the USS Midway and spend the afternoon on that side of the bay shopping, grabbing lunch, etc.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
We have been to San Diego many times over the years. We typically stay in one of two places:

The Hacienda has nice rooms, nothing special, and is close to most attractions. Pricing and parking is quite affordable and appropriate.

The Marriott is nicer and has more amenities. The gym is really nice for a hotel. Many attractions are within walking distance. The views are great, but you pay for the location.

We've stayed in La Jolla as well. It was nice, but small and secluded. Pricing is high and not a lot of bang for your buck.

For breakfast, Cafe 222 and Richard Walkers Pancake House are really good.

For dinner, the Edgewater Grill is good. The Melting Pot is nice. We typically hit new dinner spots each time when we're there and haven't been disappointed. You can basically find whatever you are looking for, just Google it.

You will be able to see and do a lot over 8 days.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Spend as much money as possible. Their child trans refuge law goes into effect tomorrow. Need to get that stuff funded.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Old town SD is really cool. Sometimes we take day trips down there just to hang out. The Mexican food is really good there too. The Whaley House in old town is a cool place to tour. The Cosmopolitan hotel in old town doesn’t have much to offer but has a cool bar that Wyatt Earp bought and had sent to Az but then his altercation happened and it sat in storage for a very long time and ended up being returned to the sender. Something like that. It’s literally just a old school wooden bar, I don’t even think you can order a drink. It’ll take up 5 minutes of your time is all but if you’re walking around old town you should poke your head in there, kinda neat. I think they have a desk Mark Twain use to write on too.
You mentioned the zoo, the SD zoo safari park is a better experience than the sd zoo. If I had to pick one park between the two, I would go to the safari park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blown 89

Established Member
San Diego has turned into an overcrowded shit hole full of homeless, trash, and filth. Find somewhere else to go. Seriously.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Not sure why you would want to go to Long Beach! I'd stay far away from there! You can't drive one block without seeing a cop car.

If you are looking for something really cool to do, drive through Long Beach north to Palos Verdes. Stop at Trump National Golf Club. It's open to the public. The bar/restaurant is TOP NOTCH!! They have the BEST views of the Pacific and Catalina Island, from both inside and outside the restaurant. Being perched on a 150 foot cliff is the reason. They also have a nice easy trail that you can even walk in your formal dinner clothes that takes you around the edge of the cliffs. I guarantee you will enjoy it! Staff is super attentive and beyond friendly! You won't even think you are in LA, it is such a cool location, rural, and truly a place most people don't even know exists. Then you can drive 10 miles north up to Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan Beach, with the Pacific on your left.

If you're looking for a hotel recommendation in this area check out the Portofino Hotel in Redondo. It is famous for being right on the ocean, and also for being the terminus of everyone's attempt at The Cannonball Run. It is an ok hotel, but rooms in this area are slim to none. You will be super close to the three beaches, and it's only a 20 minute drive from Trump's.

Seriously though, skip Long Beach!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread