Looking for guidance

papajoewill

Established Member
Hello everyone,

This past fall I purchased a 01 Bullitt with an 04 cobra swap. It was completed by my uncle 5+ years ago but due to financial situations with him, it has never seen the road. Since owning it, I have put around 1k miles on it and believe I spun a bearing in the motor.

I changed the fluids in it once I got it registered but right at the 1k mile mark of me driving it, I made a pull with a friend and could hear the tapping noise around 2k RPM afterwards. I checked the oil and it wasn't registering on the dipstick :mad:. I haven't pulled the motor yet but have taken the necessary pictures to put it back after it is fixed. So here is where I am requesting some guidance.

I have the car stripped right now to be repainted and to fix a few dings. The plan is to up the power while it is out. Because I got the car from my uncle it was kind of a package deal and I have a lot of directions I could go because of things he's gotten before me taking over the project.

The cobra drivetrain was sold to my uncle supposedly with a ported eaton. It has obviously been pullied and made about 11lbs of boost WOT. No other power supporting mods have been acquired or installed to my knowledge. I would really like to set the goal at 700+HP to the tires but still be a true street car and maintain streetability.

The car currently has the SRA from the stock bullitt but an IRS was purchased sometime over the years and could be beefed up? It has some suspension work done already too. QA1 coilovers on all four corners, subframe connectors, k-member (and required kmember goodies). Probably a few other things but I'm not in arms reach of the car so I can't say with certainty. My uncle told me he was building the car without skimping.

So with all that said, I would love some input from experienced guys on supporting more power safely. I have 2V venolia pistons that my uncle got from a deal that we thought would work but to be honest, I'm very new to getting inside of motors and would rather get what we need to do it right. I thought about going with a whipple 2.9 setup to achieve our goals but if anyone has ideas I would be very appreciative hearing them.

- Joe

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
700 hp can be done with a 2.3 tvs or 2.9 whipple. That's assuming you use e85. I'd go with a fore innovation return fuel system. Walbro 465 or aem 320e pumps.

Who plans on building the new motor, your uncle? I'd go with someone knowledgeable with these motors. Find a trustworthy tuner.

As for the suspension, there's people running 9's with the irs. Just depends what you want to do with the car. That can always be changed later.

papajoewill

Established Member
700 hp can be done with a 2.3 tvs or 2.9 whipple. That's assuming you use e85. I'd go with a fore innovation return fuel system. Walbro 465 or aem 320e pumps.

Who plans on building the new motor, your uncle? I'd go with someone knowledgeable with these motors. Find a trustworthy tuner.

As for the suspension, there's people running 9's with the irs. Just depends what you want to do with the car. That can always be changed later.

My uncle has always been adamant on using pump gas vs e85. I personally would run the corn juice but would ask if that means only running it or could i run a mix if i needed? There are a few pumps in town with it so it wouldn't be too ridiculous if that was the case.

With that said, I still plan on going return style for the fuel. I was looking at some of the kits on Lethal but wasn't sure if they would do the job.

For the engine assembly, while my uncle owns and operates a full machine shop, we do know some reputable builders and would take it to them before we tried anything silly.

I'm pretty sure I want to build the IRS with some delrin bushings, maybe a kit. Don't plan on it being a track car so the launching doesn't necessarily scare me.

I really appreciate the input man!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Pump gas over e85 is mind boggling. 700 hp on pump gas is asking for disaster. You'd have to push 20+ lbs of boost. E85 is nearly detonation proof and helps motor run cooler. It's come along way over the years.

papajoewill

Established Member
Pump gas over e85 is mind boggling. 700 hp on pump gas is asking for disaster. You'd have to push 20+ lbs of boost. E85 is nearly detonation proof and helps motor run cooler. It's come along way over the years.
Hey man, I revisited the idea of e85 but where I'm located it looks like I'd have to buy a drum and keep in in the garage and return there anytime I wanted to fill up. Am I being ignorant or would that be the way to do it?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey man, I revisited the idea of e85 but where I'm located it looks like I'd have to buy a drum and keep in in the garage and return there anytime I wanted to fill up. Am I being ignorant or would that be the way to do it?
Plenty of people buy a drum. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the car. And how much you drive it. I personally won't run more than 18lbs on 93 fuel.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're in Jacksonville, right? Doing a quick search, it appears that there are numerous E-85 stations there. I guess I'm not understanding why you don't seem to be near enough to one or more of them. That said, you definitely want to seriously consider E-85 for your build. Brady gave you some excellent advice. And he's definitely knowledgeable in this area.

03' White Snake

Established Member
+1 for E85. You will never want to run 93 again.

Just for the record, its not that bad on mpg either. I can get over 200 miles on a tank of E85 just cruising. It drops obviously when your hammering on the car.

For example, I leave with a full tank, drive 100 miles to the track, race all night, put in 1 VP race can of E85 (6 gallons) and I make the 100 mile ride home. I get home with just under 1/4 tank. Even on 93, I'd have to get gas along this trip.

FTBR has the best IRS bushing kit. Upgrade the diff cover too and you will have the best IRS. Don't bother with aftermarket axles. For 700 hp you will need a better clutch, if it is a T56 tranny, upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft while doing the clutch upgrade.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You need to stop listening to your uncle. You have a car with a blown motor because it wasn't setup right. Find a modular mustang performance shop with a good rep in your area and talk to them about your goals.

speedoflife

Established Member
You need to stop listening to your uncle. You have a car with a blown motor because it wasn't setup right. Find a modular mustang performance shop with a good rep in your area and talk to them about your goals.
Not trying to be a jerk to the OP or to you, but the motor was blown because someone (I don't know if OP changed the oil himself or had someone do it) didn't put enough oil in the car. You can setup and build a motor all you want, but if it runs at high RPMS with no/low oil, something's going to give. We've all made mistakes. Were I the OP, I would first go here (even though the car isn't a Terminator, most of this still applies):
https://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

I'd build up the IRS with an FTBR kit. Google has more information about upgrading the IRS than anyone is willing to type in this thread:
https://www.google.com/search?q=upg...rome..69i57.4083j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Don't forget to get low profile bolts for the top mounting points of the IRS and grade 8 9/16" bolts for the lower mounting points. (check post #14 in this link: https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/14mm-irs-bolt-question.573657/ )

It sounds like you'd rather build the car up mostly between you and your uncle rather than take it to a shop, which is awesome. Just be willing to search this site and ask questions and you'll find all of the information you could have ever wanted. Does the car have an Eaton swap or an engine swap? Is it still a 2v? Does it have the Terminator forged internals?

E85 vs pump is your decision. I think it's better/safer than pump gas, personally. If you decide to stick with 93 octane fuel, you'll save yourself a lot of headache by setting your power goals closer to 600hp. Just my opinion.

You don't want to be pulling this motor again soon. Listen to this guy. If your uncle is knowledgable, great. Do you have a lot of experience working with cars yourself?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I use to have to travel about 25 miles one way to get to the E85 pump in my area....it was totally worth it. Not even debatable. Small trip to make to have 150 more HP/TQ and actually hear the blower whine on the increased boost. Also have the huge safety margin E85 provides.

I never contemplated a drum at the house.....I did not feel the mpg loss was that significant as long as you stayed out of boost. I would fill the tank up, put the car on cruise, and make the 25 mile trip back to the house burning very little out of the tank. Now the more tricky part was gauging how low I could get before having to make the return trip for fuel. These cars fuel level monitors move really quick below 1/3 tank.....basically I don't believe they're accurate. I'd initiate the 25 mile refuel trip with at least 1/4 tank to be sure.

Where I live now the pump is only 6 miles away.

papajoewill

Established Member
You're in Jacksonville, right? Doing a quick search, it appears that there are numerous E-85 stations there. I guess I'm not understanding why you don't seem to be near enough to one or more of them. That said, you definitely want to seriously consider E-85 for your build. Brady gave you some excellent advice. And he's definitely knowledgeable in this area.
Thanks for the input. Which site do you use to track where it is located?

papajoewill

Established Member
+1 for E85. You will never want to run 93 again.

Just for the record, its not that bad on mpg either. I can get over 200 miles on a tank of E85 just cruising. It drops obviously when your hammering on the car.

For example, I leave with a full tank, drive 100 miles to the track, race all night, put in 1 VP race can of E85 (6 gallons) and I make the 100 mile ride home. I get home with just under 1/4 tank. Even on 93, I'd have to get gas along this trip.

FTBR has the best IRS bushing kit. Upgrade the diff cover too and you will have the best IRS. Don't bother with aftermarket axles. For 700 hp you will need a better clutch, if it is a T56 tranny, upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft while doing the clutch upgrade.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not really worried about mpg but appreciate you mentioning it. My only other thoughts would be that using e85 would limit my long distance trips without planning where would have it. Or would a quick tune be possible in the event 93 was the only available? I have pretty much made up my mind to use the FTBR kit. It is a T56. I was going to get a dual disc clutch once it comes out as well as the 26 spline input shaft.

papajoewill

Established Member
It's a spun bearing (we think) but still haven't gotten it out to verify. Not so much a blown motor but thanks for your input.

papajoewill

Established Member
Not trying to be a jerk to the OP or to you, but the motor was blown because someone (I don't know if OP changed the oil himself or had someone do it) didn't put enough oil in the car. You can setup and build a motor all you want, but if it runs at high RPMS with no/low oil, something's going to give. We've all made mistakes. Were I the OP, I would first go here (even though the car isn't a Terminator, most of this still applies):
https://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

I'd build up the IRS with an FTBR kit. Google has more information about upgrading the IRS than anyone is willing to type in this thread:
https://www.google.com/search?q=upg...rome..69i57.4083j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Don't forget to get low profile bolts for the top mounting points of the IRS and grade 8 9/16" bolts for the lower mounting points. (check post #14 in this link: https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/14mm-irs-bolt-question.573657/ )

It sounds like you'd rather build the car up mostly between you and your uncle rather than take it to a shop, which is awesome. Just be willing to search this site and ask questions and you'll find all of the information you could have ever wanted. Does the car have an Eaton swap or an engine swap? Is it still a 2v? Does it have the Terminator forged internals?

E85 vs pump is your decision. I think it's better/safer than pump gas, personally. If you decide to stick with 93 octane fuel, you'll save yourself a lot of headache by setting your power goals closer to 600hp. Just my opinion.

You don't want to be pulling this motor again soon. Listen to this guy. If your uncle is knowledgable, great. Do you have a lot of experience working with cars yourself?
Great reply to read through. I appreciate the time you took to comment. The motor had the oil changed at a professional shop in my area. I didn't check it since then when I know I should have now :/ Live and learn. I'll be honest and say I am still learning the ropes under the hood. After some research I was going to go with the FTBR IRS kit like the others have mentioned too.

To answer some of the questions you asked, it is the 4V motor and tranny from an 04 cobra. The only modification was a smaller pulley and porting but that was done prior to us getting it and swapping it into the bullitt. I definitely agree with not having to take it out again so we plan on having the engine built by a professional in the area but we will most likely take care of the other modifications that need to be made. I will also probably upgrade the fuel system to return style and go with the corn. The response of e85 vs pump gas has been overwhelming.

papajoewill

Established Member
I use to have to travel about 25 miles one way to get to the E85 pump in my area....it was totally worth it. Not even debatable. Small trip to make to have 150 more HP/TQ and actually hear the blower whine on the increased boost. Also have the huge safety margin E85 provides.

I never contemplated a drum at the house.....I did not feel the mpg loss was that significant as long as you stayed out of boost. I would fill the tank up, put the car on cruise, and make the 25 mile trip back to the house burning very little out of the tank. Now the more tricky part was gauging how low I could get before having to make the return trip for fuel. These cars fuel level monitors move really quick below 1/3 tank.....basically I don't believe they're accurate. I'd initiate the 25 mile refuel trip with at least 1/4 tank to be sure.

Where I live now the pump is only 6 miles away.
Thanks for the reply man. I think corn is going to be the route I take. My uncle brainwashed me a little bit but after more understanding it does make sense to run it.

papajoewill

Established Member
Plenty of people buy a drum. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the car. And how much you drive it. I personally won't run more than 18lbs on 93 fuel.
After much consideration and all of the responses, I think I will head in the e85 direction. Most likely still would keep a drum in the garage just incase

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have 2 tunes on my hand held, corn and 93. It is a simple 2 minute change between them. Just so I won't ever be stuck.

I built a hose and fitting assembly so I can pump either fuel out at my rail when switching. It is a pita to do, so I don't switch between them often. I switch to a tank of 93 for winter and will go right back to corn in the spring when I take the car back out.

cj428mach

Established Member

I have a drum in my garage that I keep e85 in. I live in a small town with no e85 pumps, but 25 miles away in Wichita (the big city) there are several e85 pumps. It seems myself or my wife makes it to Wichita a few times a month, and we just take a 5 gallon can with me that we fill up and bring home to dump in my barrel. I have a cheap rotary pump that I bought off ebay that I drop in when I need to fill up the car, if not I keep the barrel sealed.

Theres been a time or two that the barrel has gotten almost empty, in those instances I just loaded up the barrel and took it to the E85 pumps. The only down side to doing this is unloading a full 55 gallon drum by yourself at home. It can be done but I certainly don't enjoy it lol.

I also haven't ever worried much about swapping fuels. The first few times I drained the tank but after that I just drove until I had an 1/8th of a tank or less and then filled it up with the other fuel. Sometimes I'd put a few gallons of the new fuel in the tank and drive around until I had burned that out then I'd just fill up all the way with the new fuel. Eventually you'll just quit switching, I think this May I'll be 2+ years with nothing but e85 in the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread