Looking for experts on T-56

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I don't see any pictures. Where can I find them?

These forums make my head hurt almost as much as Facebook groups...

You actually have to click on the link in the section, or that is copied - again - to the post I referenced. That is where the pictures are...

Terminator Dave

Established Member
I don't see any pictures. Where can I find them?

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I tried clicking everything I could of. Nothing displays any pictures.
Screenshot_20180831-103029.jpeg

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Really cause I can. You go to post 16# and click on the link, then scroll down on page and tons of pics of the trans disassembled. Maybe you have a ad blocker or some sheet but it's there.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I hope you find the info your looking for Dave. I can honestly say, I am glad to be doing a 6R80 rebuild. Compared to the t-56 it's like I am not even rebuilding a transmission.

zredfire04

Established Member
the thing is, t56 isn't hard to rebuild. i took mine apart and rebuilt it months later. i did have to take the tailhousing back off to put in the plastic reverse washer, but otherwise it was easy.

my advice to OP is to take it to a pro. not everyone is cut out for stuff like this.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Really cause I can. You go to post 16# and click on the link, then scroll down on page and tons of pics of the trans disassembled. Maybe you have a ad blocker or some sheet but it's there.
You could be right. I'll have to try it from the laptop, because truly, when I click on things like this on my cell, at times it goes to a page "web page can not be found". I just assumed someone pulled the page.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. As to the pics, I am all to familiar with those guide pins, and such. Been there, done that. I managed to get the detent ball and spring in yesterday with your help. No problem when I pushed my imagination a bit, however, parts of the syncro assembly in the front half of the case, that I took off, are giving me trouble. It's now the rails next to side of the case that are being difficult. I'll get them back on. With this damn trans, sometimes I wish I had a third hand. Hold this, push that, make sure this doesn't fall out, etc. What a pita.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
the thing is, t56 isn't hard to rebuild. i took mine apart and rebuilt it months later. i did have to take the tailhousing back off to put in the plastic reverse washer, but otherwise it was easy.

my advice to OP is to take it to a pro. not everyone is cut out for stuff like this.
They call that a funnel. I guess it's like an oil slinging of yesteryear. I think it also channels oil from one bearing to the other.

zredfire04

Established Member
no, it's not the funnel. the funnel goes behind a bearing race in the tailhousing.

i'm talking about the black plastic thrust washer that goes on the mainshaft reverse gear between it and the reverse synchro. it's not on the assembly drawing in the tremec manual, which is why i didn't put it in. i didn't remember where it went because of the amount of time between tear down and rebuild. i had it left on the bench when i was "done" and had to take it back apart to put it in.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Oh sorry. I left the entire reverse assy intact. I have enough trouble. LOL. Well, I think I have it figured out today. I keep loosing the light, and it's damn hard to see the parts where I have to work. The main issue, is you have to put in the entire assy at one time, the levers, shift rails, detent, etc. I have it now, but I forgot at the last moment to put the spring and ball back in before I slid the shift rail back in..Damnnnnnnn. So frustrating. No matter. I know how it goes now, so I'll nail it tomorrow. Good thing I don't get paid by the hour.

hotcobra03

Established Member
have you compared the installation pics for our ford manual t56 ..

black and white but shows every part with tips and notes..

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Are you talking about the Ford Mustang manual? I have that and the Tremic, but I have only looked in the Tremic manual. As to the posting on the ls2.com website, I went there, but I can't see any such posting, even doing a search for everything t-56; shows nothing.

hotcobra03

Established Member
ye
Are you talking about the Ford Mustang manual? I have that and the Tremic, but I have only looked in the Tremic manual. As to the posting on the ls2.com website, I went there, but I can't see any such posting, even doing a search for everything t-56; shows nothing.

yes that ford manual..it has more pics than tremec.

I had found a link for e4od..this has a thousand more pieces ..so there should be better links than ls2.com,

I will look around ,I'm soon to work on mine,,420k and never touched except retainer bearing at 40k

Terminator Dave

Established Member
ye

yes that ford manual..it has more pics than tremec.

I had found a link for e4od..this has a thousand more pieces ..so there should be better links than ls2.com,

I will look around ,I'm soon to work on mine,,420k and never touched except retainer bearing at 40k
I finally found the section in the Ford manual, like you said. Unbelievable! They give you every detail, yet the Tremic manual shows squat. Tremic shouldn't have even bothered. No wonder it was free to download!

One question. I am not pulling all the gears and syncros out, however, I need to rebuild one of them in the front case. Sorry. I forget the gear number at the moment. I only way that I see even possible is, like the manual says, but they are explaining the procedure with the entire syncro removed. I am trying to install the sleeve on the hub, with the back spring in back installed, slide the keys under the spring, and install the front spring. I did figure out the spring tangs, then confirmed the procedure with the new found info.

Does this sound feasible? Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread