Looking for experts on T-56

Terminator Dave

Established Member
What is the best way to reinstall the guide plate, detent ball and spring? The case in on, the tailshaft housing is off, as well as the shifter, and flat plate on top. I saw the zip tie info, but I don't see how that can help. That assembly, the ball, guide plate, spring etc, all have to go in together. Any suggestions?

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

zredfire04

Established Member
there are some t56 rebuild videos on youtube.

hopefully the guide plate is still bolted to the tail housing. if not, bolt it in.

slide the housing onto the shift rod until it is in the box that the guide plate is in.

use a little grease to get the detent ball to stick to the spring.

then put the detent on the shaft with the ball in the neutral area of the guide plate and slide the housing on.

this is the sort of thing that you should be able to figure out if you're going to rebuild a transmission. it's a PITA, but the process isn't complicated...just a little tricky.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
I'll have to bolt the plate back it. No problem with that; done it a few times. The shaft is in the box, have the spring back in the shaft, but the ball won't stay on with the spring. The ball is supposed to be in the largest hole in the middle row? Done that. Even tried the zip tie, but getting the ball loaded up under the zip tie, is not going well. Even if I can get it, I'm sure it will fall of when I try to move it. I've seen the extensive YouTube videos, but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. There are supposed to be links on this sight to this issue, but the links are dead. Your last sentence is true. Can't get beyond that tricky part. Thanks for the reply. Any further suggestions?

zredfire04

Established Member
you have to compress the spring with the detent ball by pushing it against the guide plate, then lower the case so the shift rod slides into the detent.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
you have to compress the spring with the detent ball by pushing it against the guide plate, then lower the case so the shift rod slides into the detent.
Oh. We're on different pages. I'm beginning to think that's the only way, but that's not what I'm looking to do. I don't want to pull the case off. I've seen info on compressing the ball and spring with a zip tie, without pulling the case. Still looking for that info again. Sorry if I didn't explain myself better. The only videos on YouTube are about rebuilding a GM T-56. It doesn't use this detent system.

zredfire04

Established Member
you can't put the detent on the shift rod without pulling the case.

also, the shifting mechanism for gm t56 is the same. there are differences between the transmissions, but how they work is identical.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
you can't put the detent on the shift rod without pulling the case.

also, the shifting mechanism for gm t56 is the same. there are differences between the transmissions, but how they work is identical.
The video I saw showed the GM case. It doesn't have the box like the Ford case does. I reread some info on this zip tie method(just google zip tie detent for T-56) and alas, it does say you have to move the case up, insert the detent parts, hold them in and lower the case. I was trying to avoid that. I have some new ideas to try today before I go to that extreme. Do you know if the rail that all of this sits on can be tapped forward to allow the detent to be slipped in? I'm going to pull my manual and see if there are any roll pins, etc. I'd hate to have all the gears, syncros and such to fly off.

zredfire04

Established Member
just to qualify, i rebuilt my own t56. i'm not what i'd call an expert, but i know this:

the ONLY way to get the detent installed is to pull the case. it doesn't matter how extreme you think it is, that's what has to happen.

if you took it apart, you should know this because you have to drive out the roll pin and slide the detent off the shift rod to get it out.

i don't know what video you watched, but every t56 i've seen has a provision for both fore and aft shifter location except the corvette specific one...and even that one has the box where the detent goes, which is also the forward shifter location on the rest of them. our cars use the aft shifter location.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
just to qualify, i rebuilt my own t56. i'm not what i'd call an expert, but i know this:

the ONLY way to get the detent installed is to pull the case. it doesn't matter how extreme you think it is, that's what has to happen.

if you took it apart, you should know this because you have to drive out the roll pin and slide the detent off the shift rod to get it out.

i don't know what video you watched, but every t56 i've seen has a provision for both fore and aft shifter location except the corvette specific one...and even that one has the box where the detent goes, which is also the forward shifter location on the rest of them. our cars use the aft shifter location.
I'm sure you're right about the case, but I'm so damn close now. I'll know if this scheme works tomorrow, and I'll let you know. Got off the shift mech, both fore and aft. I'll look at the manual again, but I'm guessing you have to pull off everything in back of the case? Tried budging the case today, but nothing. Anymore suggestions? You've been very nice to help me so far. Did you see my other post on re-installing the headers, motor mounts, flywheel on back? Any particular order that goes in the easiest?

Terminator Dave

Established Member

Good afternoon. Well...I give up. You're right. There is no way to do it without pulling the case. I'm thinking now that the detent ball sits inside the same hole is the detent spring. Can't see for sure without taking it off. I'm off to pick up some new pins for my snap ring pliers. I know it shouldn't be a big issue, but..... Well, once again, thank you for your help.

zredfire04

Established Member
your best bet on the pliers is to suck it up and buy some good ones. the ones at the parts stores around here all suck. they break, bend, and just won't budge some rings.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
your best bet on the pliers is to suck it up and buy some good ones. the ones at the parts stores around here all suck. they break, bend, and just won't budge some rings.
I got it off, but it was a pita. Still can't get the gears and such from the tailend, but I think something is misaligned by the adapter plate. I'll have a better look tomorrow. Any more suggestions?

Terminator Dave

Established Member
I have it, but it's difficult to understand without a better view of the parts. For example, the detent spring and ball issue I struggled, if I could have seen that the ball goes in the hole with the spring, that would have saved me hours. Redfire was absolutely correct. Can't even remotely assemble the above with pulling the case. Now, I have some parts dislodged by the front adapter. I already ran into this mess before. Can probably straighten this out, but as best I can tell from the manual, I probably have to pull 5/6th gear out with a puller from the tailshaft section. Will this never end!

Four Door SVT

Established Member
You put the shift rod thru the hole of the detent and as you slide it, you put spring and ball in and down continue the slide down and as the case gets close, you slide a thin long screwdriver to get the shift rod alined to the back part of the case, it will move slightly in and out.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
You put the shift rod thru the hole of the detent and as you slide it, you put spring and ball in and down continue the slide down and as the case gets close, you slide a thin long screwdriver to get the shift rod alined to the back part of the case, it will move slightly in and out.
I was trying to avoid pulling the case. Guess I can't get around this. My problem now is I can't budge the case at all. I know I have some parts on the shift rail in the front of the case the are crossed. I ran into this before, but, once I get this resolved, I think I have to pull the 5/6 gears. Maybe it's just me, but the service manual is a little convoluted. I'll look at the video here before I go on. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread