Looking for Deep Sound

Ralo

Established Member
Listen to how this sounds after it goes by and grabs the next gear. Its deep, loud, but......mellow, NOT raspy. This is my MRT catted H with Super 44's and stock manifolds.

YouTube - 2004 Cobra Exhaust Clip flyby #2 Flowmaster/MRT

That is a real good tone. I have a o/r x and lm1's and it is nasty. Sometimes I wish it was a deeper more mellow tone. It's just right around 2500 where it gets raspy but at WOT it is just amazing.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Well I've done some searches and read a bunch. I'm thinking of running Magnaflows and a catted midpipe.. I'm leaning towards a Bassani Catted X.. I'm still thinking about the flowmasters, but is a 3" tip big enough or do you need to buy a bigger set?

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Go with a different X-pipe than the Bassani, its a chambered X and won't be as smooth sounding as a true X. 90% of the people that are Bassani X fanboys have only heard Youtube videos and haven't actually driven a car with it much less even heard one in person.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Go with a different X-pipe than the Bassani, its a chambered X and won't be as smooth sounding as a true X. 90% of the people that are Bassani X fanboys have only heard Youtube videos and haven't actually driven a car with it much less even heard one in person.

The reason I like it is because a friend had one on his GT. It was a solid sounding car... I know he had a cat back on it ias well but I don't know which brand. I really haven't found much on here about them so maybe I should read into that. Maybe I'll run the Magnaflow or SLP X??? I am going to run cats... I want it to be loudered than stock and sound good but I don't want it to be too LOUD!

SlowSVT

Established Member
A full 3" exhaust will lower the resonance frequency (slower exhaust velocity) and should provide a deeper tone your looking for. Won't help exhaust scavenging and the car may have a bit of a drone.

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member

Very true. The Bassani design allows exhaust to be collected inside its X, whereas the Maggie design is much tighter and better flowing. The Maggie X is radius down the closer the pipes get to the X.

Maggie X with the Maggie catback will probably give you the DEEPEST sound for STRAIGHT-THRU mufflers, but not necessarily the LOUDEST. An MRT H/Prochamber with Flowies or Mac catback will probably give you the DEEPEST sound for CHAMBERED mufflers, but not necessarliy the LOUDEST.

Are we looking for DEEP or LOUD??? There is a big difference. Some guys want a deep tone. Some guys just want to be loud. Trying to find your exhaust nirvana can, and will, get expensive very fast.

P.S...I know you heard a Bassani on your bud's GT, but exhaust on a 2-valve engine does sound different than the 4-valves. And if its an older pushrod 2V, it will sound VASTLY different.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Very true. The Bassani design allows exhaust to be collected inside its X, whereas the Maggie design is much tighter and better flowing. The Maggie X is radius down the closer the pipes get to the X.

Maggie X with the Maggie catback will probably give you the DEEPEST sound for STRAIGHT-THRU mufflers, but not necessarily the LOUDEST. An MRT H/Prochamber with Flowies or Mac catback will probably give you the DEEPEST sound for CHAMBERED mufflers, but not necessarliy the LOUDEST.

Are we looking for DEEP or LOUD??? There is a big difference. Some guys want a deep tone. Some guys just want to be loud. Trying to find your exhaust nirvana can, and will, get expensive very fast.

P.S...I know you heard a Bassani on your bud's GT, but exhaust on a 2-valve engine does sound different than the 4-valves. And if its an older pushrod 2V, it will sound VASTLY different.

I didn't even think about the 2V to 4V difference. I want to make the best choice the first time. This could be a costly mistake!! I do NOT want the loudest exhaust!! I want deep, mellow, but aftermarket sound for sure. What I really want is that cool, ya that's a badass sounding mustang sound you hear when a nice one starts up acrossed the parking lot..

deckhouse

Established Member
i just bought a bassani cat-back and an MRT catted h-pipe. Its going on saturday and i cant wait to hear how that is gonna sound!!!!

dlaude

Established Member
I vote h pipe also. and with a chambered muffler. 3" catbacks will be louder, but deeper and cats will clean up the sound alot, and deepen the tone.

check these out:

YouTube - 2001 SVT Cobra JBA Exhaust

YouTube - 2003 SVT Cobra w/ JBA Exhaust Kit

I will be switching to a h pipe soon to compliment my kooks lt's and steeda (borla) catback. right now, I have the kooks o/r x and it sounds pretty good, but not quite deep enough for me.
Yeah, I agree. I would be looking for something a bit deeper also.

Listen to how this sounds after it goes by and grabs the next gear. Its deep, loud, but......mellow, NOT raspy. This is my MRT catted H with Super 44's and stock manifolds.

YouTube - 2004 Cobra Exhaust Clip flyby #2 Flowmaster/MRT
Wow, that sounds amazing.

Does anyone have a sound clip on hand that's got maggie x with maggie catback (I assume that is magnaflow?).

How about MRT/prochamber with flows or macs c/b?

I'm all about deep. IMO it's all about how big your balls are, not how far you can piss :D (there's a stretch of an analogy).

03ghostcobra

Banned
I vote h pipe also. and with a chambered muffler. 3" catbacks will be louder, but deeper and cats will clean up the sound alot, and deepen the tone.

check these out:

YouTube - 2001 SVT Cobra JBA Exhaust

YouTube - 2003 SVT Cobra w/ JBA Exhaust Kit

I will be switching to a h pipe soon to compliment my kooks lt's and steeda (borla) catback. right now, I have the kooks o/r x and it sounds pretty good, but not quite deep enough for me.
mac lt's, shorty o/r h pipe and the borla/steeda cb-ftw-deep sounding and pro stock sounding at wot:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread