Looking for a straight up trade for an IRS(01-GT-SRA)

SlowSVT

Established Member
You aren't really going to bring up a extremely exclusive limited run 55 grand custom race mustang to a v6 gt or cobra comparison are you?

Wouldn't you rather have the same rear suspension as an extremely exclusive limited run 55 grand custom race mustang then one from a garden variety GT? I mean Ford put it in there for a reason or was that for pure marketing reasons?

......... Opps! I forgot, you do prefer the garden variety GT axle. Leaf springs and drum brakes must be on the menu :-D

:poke:

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Wouldn't you rather have the same rear suspension as an extremely exclusive limited run 55 grand custom race mustang then one from a garden variety GT? I mean Ford put it in there for a reason or was that for pure marketing reasons?

......... Opps! I forgot, you do prefer the garden variety GT axle. Leaf springs and drum brakes must be on the menu :-D

lol cmon now. you're just embellishing now. I think we both know the Cobra R has a lot more then just the IRS. Those mods allow it a much better shot at using the IRS. It's also a track car and not a drag car, it's really not even a street car.
You could say why don't you take out your back seat and A/C like some of the Rs? See where that goes? Kinda silly. Just like the IRS.

If I wanted handling I'd get a viper or corvette. I bought the mustang for cheap speed.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member

since the IRS is soo much better, then why are most whipple/kb cobra's with IRS slower in the 1/4 then most SRA eaton cars? is it because they are better? NO.. its because everyone is scared to break that junk, and looking like a fool!!!, MY setup handles just as good as my IRS DID!!, it can take all the abuse i put it through.. NO wheel hop ever!! the IRS isnt worth putting the ftbr kit in it.. i would never spend that kind of money on the IRS and still have a chance of breaking a half shaft.. that is why i pulled that junk out.. apples to apples, you cant beat SRA.

SlowSVT

Established Member
lol cmon now. you're just embellishing now. I think we both know the Cobra R has a lot more then just the IRS. Those mods allow it a much better shot at using the IRS. It's also a track car and not a drag car, it's really not even a street car.
You could say why don't you take out your back seat and A/C like some of the Rs? See where that goes? Kinda silly. Just like the IRS.

If I wanted handling I'd get a viper or corvette. I bought the mustang for cheap speed.

:nonono:

Digital

I was always under the impression that you knew more about suspensions and generally have a well balance perspective but suddenly your intellect seems to have taken a turn for the worst. You actually believe the Cobra R is the only Mustang that can take advantage of the benefits of an IRS? I know you don’t actually believe that and have read your post stating such. This topic is getting to be more of an amusement to me every time it comes up with you and I on our perch deciding if we are going to throw our hat in the ring.

I well sorted road race car makes for a great street car since their attributes translate more directly to the kind of driving a typical DD sees everyday (starting, stopping turning). Drag racers only requirement is to launch hard and maintain a straight line. As I have stated in the past I understand why you gravitate toward straight line performance living in Florida. Out here in California a well sorted drag race Terminator has no business up on the twisty mountain roads which would be a frightening experience.

Owning a Vette or a Viper is not even a consideration for me. Both are very impressive cars but for me are more of a fashion statement. A Mustang Cobra is a bit more “low key”, has way more “cool factor” and doesn’t project the playboy image. Besides, there is nothing better then taking down expensive hardware with a Mustang. This is the only performance car that appeals to me and the ability to hang corners with confidence is just as important then how much power it puts to the ground which can conspire to get you into hot water. I was under the impression you understood this.

Russ :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
since the IRS is soo much better, then why are most whipple/kb cobra's with IRS slower in the 1/4 then most SRA eaton cars? is it because they are better? NO.. its because everyone is scared to break that junk, and looking like a fool!!!, MY setup handles just as good as my IRS DID!!, it can take all the abuse i put it through.. NO wheel hop ever!! the IRS isnt worth putting the ftbr kit in it.. i would never spend that kind of money on the IRS and still have a chance of breaking a half shaft.. that is why i pulled that junk out.. apples to apples, you cant beat SRA.

Now here is a real genius :dw:

This post is almost laughable. You suffer from 1/4 mile on the brain :smmon:

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
God I love this shit...

As you said before SLOWSVT, "ford put the IRS in for a reason"... well they realized it was a fail so they took it out for that reason, and never looked back. As we all know the corvette is designed around the suspension and it works great Well with our IRS it was designed around the car and had to fit where a different more simple rear end once was. That sir is why it is garbage.

And you are right these arguments are very laughable.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
God I love this shit...

As you said before SLOWSVT, "ford put the IRS in for a reason"... well they realized it was a fail so they took it out for that reason, and never looked back. As we all know the corvette is designed around the suspension and it works great Well with our IRS it was designed around the car and had to fit where a different more simple rear end once was. That sir is why it is garbage.

Garbage?!?!?! :dw: Laughable?!?!! :read:

Mustang equipped with FTBR optimized IRS spanks a Conga Line of Z06's part 1

Mustang equipped with FTBR optimized IRS spanks a Conga Line of Z06's part 2

Mustang equipped with FTBR optimized IRS spanks a Conga Line of Z06's part 3

And all of these were before I knew how to drive!!!! :idea:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
God I love this shit...

:-D

I guess at this point from your perspective the stick axle has to be better. Funny how quickly you forgot everything I told you on your thread regarding this swap and why Ford chose not to equip the GT500 with an IRS. The extent of your understanding on this goes no further then "because" :dw: as noted on the post above.

Perhaps I'll cut a paste this statement and post it in the Cobra R section and watch how quickly those guy who all pretty much track their cars pounce on your statements :pop:

See what Top Gear had to say about the stick axle in the GT500

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46E0gCF5os"]YouTube - Mustang GT500 car review - Top Gear - BBC[/nomedia]

Note what James had to say about the rear suspension, the handling and what the cars was good and not so good at doing. He called it a "girder with wheels at both ends"

At least you admit I was correct regarding the absurdity of some of the statements made on this thread. Now all that's needed is remove the blower and the 6 speed and your car will revert back to a GT Mustang :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
:-D

I guess at this point from your perspective the stick axle has to be better. Funny how quickly you forgot everything I told you on your thread regarding this swap and why Ford chose not to equip the GT500 with an IRS. The extent of your understanding on this goes no further then "because" :dw: as noted on the post above.

Perhaps I'll cut a paste this statement and post it in the Cobra R section and watch how quickly those guy who all pretty much track their cars pounce on your statements :pop:

See what Top Gear had to say about the stick axle in the GT500

YouTube - Mustang GT500 car review - Top Gear - BBC

Note what James had to say about the rear suspension, the handling and what the cars was good and not so good at doing. He called it a "girder with wheels at both ends"

At least you admit I was correct regarding the absurdity of some of the statements made on this thread. Now all that's needed is remove the blower and the 6 speed and your car will revert back to a GT Mustang :thumbsup:

Good video. But now you are comparing a heavily modded Cobra IRS to a bone stock GT500 stick axle. Not to mention it's a totally different car and weighs a lot more.

I have never said that a stick axle will turn better than a IRS. But i will go to grave saying the IRS has wheel hop and the SRA doesn't. I will also say a SRA will hold more power before breaking and CAN have good handling if desired. Obviously the SRA will be heavily modded but so is everyone else's IRS cobra that is open track ready.

That's another thing... why is it that you IRS nuts only talk about tracking the car. Never do you talk about the strip or even the street. The SRA is very universal IMO, and so is the IRS but at a lower power level.

I don't think that anyone ever wins these arguments because everyone uses their cobra differently than the next guy. Their needs and wants are different. I know for me, it is mostly a street car and might see the strip in a blue moon but i am swapping to the SRA cause of wheel hop. I have put enough money into the IRS with no results due to being misinformed. I never knew about Bruce's kit till like a year after i had poly bushings installed otherwise I would have tried it. Yea that's right I said poly:xpl:. However, even with Bruce's kit i still hear of guys having hop issues and i'm not willing to take that chance again.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
WOW! This OP never came back and edited his thread so I could clean it up and move it to the market.

I'm not going to fix his first post if he is AWOL.:nonono:

I guess the diatribe can carry on then.

Although the four link quadra-bind 78 Fairmont live axle suspension should never be compared to the three link in the 05 and up Mustangs.

The S197's rear suspension actually works and the 79-04 Quadra-Bind is a HUGE PIECE OF CRAP! No question that it is a pitiful down grade.:nonono: And yes they sometimes hop too, but my IRS doesn't, not anymore.:-D

Carry on...:bored:

Teej281

Established Member
I find these threads entertaining. lol Both sides have very good points, as well as points that are not quite so good. SRA's can get wheel hop...ask me how I know. Happened with that SRA youre getting JUNKIE. Bruce's kit might still get some hop...but I've only ever heard that with convertibles. As well, the SRA can be made to handle wonderfully, with the sacrifice of street driveability. There are always pro's and con's to each scenario. And the fact is, each scenario is different from the next. So everyone needs to quit with the blanket statements of which one is better.

I've had both the IRS and the SRA in my GT, so I can tell you from both standpoints whats what. I love my IRS. I liked my SRA. The only thing I wish I could fix on the IRS is the wheel hop that I get, and that is solely because I drive a convertible. If I cage it, the hop might go away, but I dont know if that will help yet or not. Jury is still out on that one.

SRA can be made into a nice piece of engineering, as can an IRS. I say work with what you've got to start with. I didnt like where my car was at, solely based on the poor ride and handling of an SRA, so I went IRS due to the fact that I can have AWESOME handling while maintaining the ride quality I wanted.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
I find these threads entertaining. lol Both sides have very good points, as well as points that are not quite so good. SRA's can get wheel hop...ask me how I know. Happened with that SRA youre getting JUNKIE. Bruce's kit might still get some hop...but I've only ever heard that with convertibles. As well, the SRA can be made to handle wonderfully, with the sacrifice of street driveability. There are always pro's and con's to each scenario. And the fact is, each scenario is different from the next. So everyone needs to quit with the blanket statements of which one is better.

I've had both the IRS and the SRA in my GT, so I can tell you from both standpoints whats what. I love my IRS. I liked my SRA. The only thing I wish I could fix on the IRS is the wheel hop that I get, and that is solely because I drive a convertible. If I cage it, the hop might go away, but I dont know if that will help yet or not. Jury is still out on that one.

SRA can be made into a nice piece of engineering, as can an IRS. I say work with what you've got to start with. I didnt like where my car was at, solely based on the poor ride and handling of an SRA, so I went IRS due to the fact that I can have AWESOME handling while maintaining the ride quality I wanted.

I do also find these threads entertaining. I might have been a bit brash when i said the IRS is garbage but I don't feel it is right for me. TJ you have felt my wheel hop... it's quite violent especially at the strip. I never felt hop in your GT with the stock SRA but i really doubt it was as bad as what i got haha. I am not spending more money on a kit that might leave me in the same boat as I am in now. I'm also switching for the durability of it... SLOWSVT don't even say that the IRS is a strong piece :D

I am glad the OP made a thread and lets us jack the *uck out of it haha.

Teej281

Established Member
I know why you're doing the swap Ian. Your plans for "the build" probably would snap most anything you throw at it if you catch traction. I really hate these threads in reality because there are so many arguments to be made, for both sides, and I really dont feel like putting the effort into this debate.

All I know is, many go SRA prematurely and, IMHO, ruin their cars. Going from an IRS to an SRA for a primarily street car is the last thing that I would want to do. A nice set of slicks helps with launching at the track, and the IRS will handle hooking pretty well on the street with drag radials. You just gotta put the time into the setup to make it how it was supposed to be.

And please, for the love of God, dont quote this message and drag me back into this. Threads where members argue about this same issue are just a waste of time, as none of them ever go anywhere.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
But i will go to grave saying the IRS has wheel hop and the SRA doesn't.

Almost EVERY stock SRA will hop just as bad if not worse than an IRS. You need to look no further than the GT500 section where guys continually ask how to get rid of wheel hop!

why is it that you IRS nuts only talk about tracking the car. Never do you talk about the strip or even the street.

Did you ever wonder why EVERY single high performance sports car, without one SINGLE exception comes from the factory today with an IRS under it. It's not because it's cheaper, it's actually more expensive. If you don't know why, it's because the IRS will deliver a superior ride, superior handling and performance over an archaic stick axle.

The SRA is very universal IMO

Correct, the SRA is very universal. You can use it on a John Deere tractor, a farm wagon, a dump truck, a fire engine, a car hauler, 4x4 pick up truck, yadda, yadda yadda. Ride, performance OR handing is NOT a concern or an issue with vehicles like this.

I never knew about Bruce's kit till like a year after i had poly bushings installed otherwise I would have tried it. Yea that's right I said poly:xpl:.

I've been advising people to avoid using poly suspension bushings on this board for over six years. Where've you been!! :poke:

However, even with Bruce's kit i still hear of guys having hop issues and i'm not willing to take that chance again.

95% of those people have verts and there's a reason verts hop as bad as they do. They have zero structural rigidity. They are what I refer to as a "Special Needs" vehicles and additional steps are required for these cars. About 95% of coupe owners cure 80-90% of their wheel hop issues with our kit and there are additional things that can be done for their vehicles as well.

An SRA is a great suspension component for dedicated drag cars that don't have to handle or ride particularly well. But 98% of the people reading this spend 99% of their 'driven vehicle miles' on the street! :read:

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Almost EVERY stock SRA will hop just as bad if not worse than an IRS. You need to look no further than the GT500 section where guys continually ask how to get rid of wheel hop!

Yes key word stock.

Correct, the SRA is very universal. You can use it on a John Deere tractor, a farm wagon, a dump truck, a fire engine, a car hauler, 4x4 pick up truck, yadda, yadda yadda. Ride, performance OR handing is NOT a concern or an issue with vehicles like this.

:lol: Holy shit that was hilarious!!! tushe sir, that was a good one but almost a hit below the belt... however, reliability and strength are concerns for them! That's why they don't the IRS :beer:

Thanks Bruce for the bearings i got this week from you!

Teej281

Established Member
I think a lot of the issue is the design of the half shafts that we use in the IRS. I've heard if we swapped over to shafts with a U-joint like a driveshaft rather than a CV joint, we'd have less problems. But we definitely need some shafts that wont just sheer clean off like some of the pictures I've seen on here...

Users who are viewing this thread