Looking for a really sticky rear tire for boss 302

tek302

Established Member
Im looking for a rear tire that keeps traction. I can't do a rolling 1st gear hit without nearly wiping out. It sucks. Nitto makes a NT05 in a 275/35. How would those do compared to my 285 hankook evo v12 tires?

If you want to know my suspension

frpp boss springs
bmr lca's
bmr panhard
roush upper arm
oem boss shocks set on 5

Im not looking for a road racing tire. This is a weekend fun car. I just want to be able to have fun without effing spinning all day in a low gear

Kyle55

Established Member
Im running 275/40/18 Michelin super sports with 420 rwhp 373 gears, and they hook always in 2nd and when there warm they hook in 1st. If u want something stickier than the super sports get the bridgestone re-11 best two tires for daily driving in my opinion.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
^ Do you have the torsen? If so you might want to stay away from the strip with a sticky tire. Set your front shocks on one or two, to get a little more weight transfer. Keep your rears set on five.

As far as tires, compound>width. That being said first gear on a mt82 with 3.73s is almost useless on a cold street(Rowlett was in the low 50s today). Are you rolling into the throttle or are you stabbing it? It's not hard to "find" traction in these cars due to the lack of low rpm torque.

Last edited:

tek302

Established Member
I roll into 1st. Yes I have torsen.
My suspension is pretty good, shaun says i don't need lca relocation so its gotta be bad tires right?

You local to rowlett?

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
Tek302 - You might want to consider some tires with lower treadwear ratings so they are stickier. The RE11, RE71, and some others with 200 treadwear would be better ideas than either of the 2 you mentioned in your OP.

I had 285/35/19 RE11s on my Boss and they were very good overall, now have 295/30/20 PSS (which is wider than most brands 305s and 315s) and they are pretty good, too, especially when above say 60 degrees.

EDIT: NT05 is actually a 200TW tire, sorry. It is apparently a decent tire but the RE71 is the current king of the hill in the 200TW class (per autoX results).

Last edited:

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
I roll into 1st. Yes I have torsen.
My suspension is pretty good, shaun says i don't need lca relocation so its gotta be bad tires right?

You local to rowlett?

Not local, I looked up the weather. Summer tires in general like heat so on colder days they turn into hockey pucks. Do you have the same traction issues during the summer? I agree with Shaun, LCA relocation isn't necessary with FRPP boss "T" springs. A softer rebound setting on the front shocks will allow the front to transfer a little more weight to the rear.

FYI, running drag tires(DR or slicks) at the track with a torsen will destroy it after a few passes.

tek302

Established Member
I havnt gotteb the chance to test out the new setup in summer temps yet. Poor traction was during 60 to 70 degree day tho

tek302

Established Member
Tek302 - You might want to consider some tires with lower treadwear ratings so they are stickier. The RE11, RE71, and some others with 200 treadwear would be better ideas than either of the 2 you mentioned in your OP.

I had 285/35/19 RE11s on my Boss and they were very good overall, now have 295/30/20 PSS (which is wider than most brands 305s and 315s) and they are pretty good, too, especially when above say 60 degrees.

EDIT: NT05 is actually a 200TW tire, sorry. It is apparently a decent tire but the RE71 is the current king of the hill in the 200TW class (per autoX results).

Those 295s fit on a 9.5" wheel??

KBBoss302

Established Member
I am running 20x10.5 at all 4 corners.

I don't think most tire manufacturers would recommend a 295 on the stock Boss 19x9.5, but I could be wrong.

Holovacko

Established Member
If you truly want traction, you'll need a drag radial. Nitto's are a nice DD tire, but if you want to hook, get M/T. I know Nitto makes drag radials, I have a set. M/T's are much better.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I would tend to agree with Holo. If you want to stick in 1st you are going to need a drag radial and they suck in the rain. Pretty dangerous in fact if you aren't careful.

tek302

Established Member
I never drive in the rain or severe cold weather. Its not a daily driver. Guess i need a set of something similar to nitto 555R or R888. 275/40 for some more sidewall

_Snake_

Established Member
Bumping this up.

Anyone have feedback on the BFG Rival S? I'm close to buying a set in the factory size (285/35/19) for my Boss and the reviews seem pretty good.

06 F150

Established Member
Im looking for a rear tire that keeps traction. I can't do a rolling 1st gear hit without nearly wiping out. It sucks. Nitto makes a NT05 in a 275/35. How would those do compared to my 285 hankook evo v12 tires?

If you want to know my suspension

frpp boss springs
bmr lca's
bmr panhard
roush upper arm
oem boss shocks set on 5

Im not looking for a road racing tire. This is a weekend fun car. I just want to be able to have fun without effing spinning all day in a low gear

The Nitto Nto5Rin a 305/35/19 will fit on your factory 19x9.5 wheel, I run them on my factory Brembo 19x9 wheels, they don't bulge to much. They work really well on the street, I ran them at the track last Friday night for the first time and managed to cut a 1.79 60ft. I'm not sure how they handle on wet roads though, I never drive my car if it even looks like it might rain lol.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ I have 19x10s and the 305 nt05r bulges on mine more than id like.

Can't imagine them on a 19x9 brembo.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
originally lowered on steeda sports but ive dumped them in favor of some stock cut springs. They ride much better.

Front tire is the stock Pirelli 255/40r19 on a 9.5 GT500 rep.

thanks!

KushBandit

Established Member
originally lowered on steeda sports but ive dumped them in favor of some stock cut springs. They ride much better.

Front tire is the stock Pirelli 255/40r19 on a 9.5 GT500 rep.

thanks!

Any info on the cut springs? I have Steeda Sports on my car and I'm tired of them, I've heard decent reviews about the stockers being cut.

Users who are viewing this thread