Looking for a GM Forum to Research 17-18 ZL1's

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Chevy has been advertising "employee pricing" for Christmas season. How much off is that? Invoice? Below invoice? Park's Chevrolet in Charlotte has a white ZL1 on the floor now. I think the 1LE they had is gone. They have a few Z06s, too. City Chevrolet has plenty ZL1s and Z06s. I haven't seen a 1LE at their store, though.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I went and sat in a ZL1 yesterday. I have some opinions, but the most disappointing thing was the lack of headroom for me. I'm only 6' tall, but even with the seat at what I assume was the lowest position (the battery was either dead or disconnected), my head was almost touching the headliner. Zero room for a helmet, if I were to use it for competitive track days. That particular car had a sunroof, though. I expect there's at least another inch of headroom without it. I believe they had both seats set at the extreme's. The driver seat was all the way up, and I had to bend my head to the side to sit in it, and I was still touching the headliner.

Also, the car didn't "speak" to me at all. When I'm sitting in my Mustangs, I feel like I'm driving a piece of Americana. The ZL1 just felt like "a car." Nothing special. I have no doubts that I would enjoy driving it, but I wouldn't feel like I was driving something special.

As I was sitting in it, I immediately remembered what Jason Camissa said about the GT350R's interior plastics in that Motor Trend comparo. Turns out he was being 100% disingenuous. The ZL1 has HARD plastic literally everywhere! From the dash to the floor, if it wasn't covered with alcantara, it was super hard plastic. That includes the door panels. The '10+ S197 has better interior materials than the 6th gen Camaro. I was actually shocked. Looking at it in pictures and videos, it looks like soft touch stuff everywhere. Nope. Hard plastics. Good ol' GM. Anyway, I'm not a dashboard feeler, so I would definitely not have a problem owning one.

The seats were nice, though. They seem a lot more supportive than they look. I would need to drive it to know for sure. They're nowhere near as supportive as the Recaros in the GT350/GT350R. And I don't know why Ford and Chevy keep putting backseats in Mustangs and Camaros. There is zero leg room back there. The backseats should be optional on both cars. (I bet if they made it optional, they'd sell more without the backseat than with it.)

I just have to wait and see what Ford does with the next GT500. I was originally thinking if I don't like it, I'd trade my GT500 for a ZL1 1LE. Driving my GT500 yesterday reminded me of how much I LOVE driving it. I have it dialed in to near perfection for what I want out of the driving experience in it. It would be hard giving that up for any Camaro. I might have to just add the ZL1 1LE to the collection. I need more garage bays! LOL

blk02edge

Established Member
I went and sat in a ZL1 yesterday. I have some opinions, but the most disappointing thing was the lack of headroom for me. I'm only 6' tall, but even with the seat at what I assume was the lowest position (the battery was either dead or disconnected), my head was almost touching the headliner. Zero room for a helmet, if I were to use it for competitive track days. That particular car had a sunroof, though. I expect there's at least another inch of headroom without it. I believe they had both seats set at the extreme's. The driver seat was all the way up, and I had to bend my head to the side to sit in it, and I was still touching the headliner.

Also, the car didn't "speak" to me at all. When I'm sitting in my Mustangs, I feel like I'm driving a piece of Americana. The ZL1 just felt like "a car." Nothing special. I have no doubts that I would enjoy driving it, but I wouldn't feel like I was driving something special.

As I was sitting in it, I immediately remembered what Jason Camissa said about the GT350R's interior plastics in that Motor Trend comparo. Turns out he was being 100% disingenuous. The ZL1 has HARD plastic literally everywhere! From the dash to the floor, if it wasn't covered with alcantara, it was super hard plastic. That includes the door panels. The '10+ S197 has better interior materials than the 6th gen Camaro. I was actually shocked. Looking at it in pictures and videos, it looks like soft touch stuff everywhere. Nope. Hard plastics. Good ol' GM. Anyway, I'm not a dashboard feeler, so I would definitely not have a problem owning one.

The seats were nice, though. They seem a lot more supportive than they look. I would need to drive it to know for sure. They're nowhere near as supportive as the Recaros in the GT350/GT350R. And I don't know why Ford and Chevy keep putting backseats in Mustangs and Camaros. There is zero leg room back there. The backseats should be optional on both cars. (I bet if they made it optional, they'd sell more without the backseat than with it.)

I just have to wait and see what Ford does with the next GT500. I was originally thinking if I don't like it, I'd trade my GT500 for a ZL1 1LE. Driving my GT500 yesterday reminded me of how much I LOVE driving it. I have it dialed in to near perfection for what I want out of the driving experience in it. It would be hard giving that up for any Camaro. I might have to just add the ZL1 1LE to the collection. I need more garage bays! LOL
Ive been in a new camaro with a helmet on. Im 6'2

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What size/type helmets? Did those Camaros have sunroofs? Do you sit erect like you're supposed to or with the seat leaned back to accommodate the helmet?

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
If the battery was dead and you couldn't adjust the seats, then I would go back for another look. The seats had a surprisingly wide range of adjustment.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
If I get the coupe with the sun roof, I'll have my wife take some pics with a helmet on. Possibly getting it tomrrow. I'm only 5' 9", so I might have to sit on a phone book for you. :p

Never_Enough

Established Member
Do they not have all the leather covered pieces with colored stitching that the 2SS cars have? Been a while since I have been in a 6th gen so I don't recall how many pieces were hard plastic crap, but I do recall the door armrests not being hard junk. So that's a plus.

I'd try and act serious with a dealer and drive one.

Just arrive in the GT500, they will see serious.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Do they not have all the leather covered pieces with colored stitching that the 2SS cars have? Been a while since I have been in a 6th gen so I don't recall how many pieces were hard plastic crap, but I do recall the door armrests not being hard junk. So that's a plus.

Just arrive in the GT500, they will see serious.

I'm assuming the ZL1 replaces the leather with alcantara, but there was no leather on the dash or doors. Aside from the leather/alcantara seats, the whole interior trim was either alcantara or super hard plastic. The plastics looked fine. I have no issue with the appearance of it, and it wouldn't put me off from buying one.

I did drive up in my GT500. I parked far away from the showroom, though, so I don't think anybody saw what I arrived in. Surprisingly, there weren't that many salesmen around, either. Which is fine by me. I can't stand having a salesman hovering over me. I'm not shopping the ZL1, anyway. I went there hoping they still had a ZL1 1LE. That's the only one I'd buy. I sat in the ZL1 because the interiors are the same, and I just wanted to try it on for size.

blk02edge

Established Member
I will agree that the interior quality is kinda crap in person, i dont really care that much becuase it does look nice and the performance is there.

Anyone else notice that chevy salesmen dont gives two shits about your existance? Every time I go to one they completely ignore me and its even hard for them to bother to grab keys to unlock the damn cars.. Ive been to multiple dealers in multiple cities and they all seem the same. Maybe thats why their cars sit on lots forever lol

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I will agree that the interior quality is kinda crap in person, i dont really care that much becuase it does look nice and the performance is there.

Anyone else notice that chevy salesmen dont gives two shits about your existance? Every time I go to one they completely ignore me and its even hard for them to bother to grab keys to unlock the damn cars.. Ive been to multiple dealers in multiple cities and they all seem the same. Maybe thats why their cars sit on lots forever lol
I had the opposite experience. As soon as I walked up to the ZL1 the salesman greeted me. I explained to him I am a Ford guy and just wanted to check it out, sit in it,and that I wasn’t buying. He asked which one (black or white) I wanted to sit in, told him the white one. He went inside and remote started the car (it sounded damn good). I sat in it for about 10 minutes. After that he explained to me how their dealership works (salary, no commission, and nonnegotiable price). A very pleasant time.

Now the Ford dealers here when inquiring about any of the Performance vehicles they act like they’re doing me a favor by being there and offering anywhere from $5K-$30K over MSRP.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The Cobra now has a brother from another mother.

bigbrotherarrives.jpg

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Options:
1. A10
2. Carbon Hood Insert
3. Performance Data Recorder
4. Hyper Blue paint adder
5. Sun Roof (which I didn't want, but surprisingly love)

Had 5 miles on it and skipped dealer prep.

Users who are viewing this thread