Longest road trip in a lightning

boomr

Established Member
I'm about ready take my lightning on a 2500 mile road trip, AK to WA. What's the longest road trip you've done in your lightning?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I drove mine from ATL to Mobile, AL two weeks ago. Just over 700 miles round trip, took two tanks of gas and had zero problems. Just pulley down so you don't work the blower so much and you should be good to go, hell you could even take the s/c belt off if you wanted to and run 87 octane.

scott818

Banned
I went 750 one way, 1500 round trip, twice in one month. 3000 total with a 2lb lower going a minimum of 90 the whole way. Not a single problem. I would cover your bumper with painters tape though, mine looks a little haggard now.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You don't have to stay out of boost you just don't want a 6 lower spinning the s/c for hours on end at such an elevated rpm for safety's sake.

My front bumper was already threadbare prior to beginning the trek so I decided to forego any attempts at protecting it further and I'm glad to say it's none the worse for wear.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
boomr said:
I'm about ready take my lightning on a 2500 mile road trip, AK to WA. What's the longest road trip you've done in your lightning?

From Oceans 11: "Your outta your gawd damn mind!"

Well no not really. These things turn 100k all day and don't have issues.. your wallet however... from The Usual Suspects: "and like that :poof: he's gone"

I've done a 450 mile round trip trip once, but I was putting 300 miles a week on it, still ::knock on wood:: have not had a real issue other than me liking to flip the check engine light because I forgot to plug something in. :coolman:

It'll be a nice trip, lots of mountains right? That would be a blast.

boomr

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
I drove mine from ATL to Mobile, AL two weeks ago. Just over 700 miles round trip, took two tanks of gas and had zero problems. Just pulley down so you don't work the blower so much and you should be good to go, hell you could even take the s/c belt off if you wanted to and run 87 octane.

I thinking about 6, maybe 7 tanks. Motor is stock, except cold air intake, should be ok. Going to take some additive just in case, I have no idea on gas quaility in Canada.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Every year I drive from NC to WI and back. Last year I went from FL to NC, NC to WI, and then WI to NC. It is still a truck. It should not matter how far you drive it. When I drive to WI, it is a 21-23 hr drive, and we only stop to get fuel. Snack foods at the gas station, and let the Dogs go potty. But like Fade said, I'm not sure I would be confortable doing that trip with a 6lb lower on. I only had the 2.80 upper last time I made the trip. But I can tell you that in Sept when I go back up to WI, I wont be putting the stock lower back on. It should be fine. I really don't see the difference in running it hard all weekend at the track vrs driving conservativly only 20hrs.

boomr

Established Member
TucsonPred said:
From Oceans 11: "Your outta your gawd damn mind!"
Thank you, thank you very much, I can't wait, going to be one hell of an adventure.

Well no not really. These things turn 100k all day and don't have issues.. your wallet however... from The Usual Suspects: "and like that :poof: he's gone"
The wallet is not going to like this very much, premium in AK is at 3.06 a gallon right now, I'm figureing if I can keep it under $800.00-$900.00, I'll be ok with that. The truck just ticked over 30k on the odometer.

It'll be a nice trip, lots of mountains right? That would be a blast.
Nothing but mountians and tree's, thanks.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
On an otherwise stock L even 91 octane should be sufficient, after all they use it in CA and other states where 93 isn't available. Keep your fluids checked during the jaunt, have fun and for the love of pete take lots of pictures!!

boomr

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
On an otherwise stock L even 91 octane should be sufficient, after all they use it in CA and other states where 93 isn't available. Keep your fluids checked during the jaunt, have fun and for the love of pete take lots of pictures!!

I used to work at a dealership, on the service side, all the fluids are up to snuff, new brakes, fresh trans service, fuel filter, air filter, etc.... All we can get here is 90 octane, nothing any higher, kind of bites. I'll buy a camara on the way.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I went from south of Houston, TX to Tulsa, OK and back. Probably what? 900 miles? Zero problems, hauling ass there and back.

BigBob917

Established Member
I drove from miami to auburn, al and that is like 700 give or take... fun and loud as hell... i was with my grand dad who came b/c he is an ex dolphin and a bunch came up t meet w ronnie brown, so all i heard were stories and that helps a long drive... gotta love ur grand parents... have fun man

FordFanStan

Established Member
boomr said:
The wallet is not going to like this very much, premium in AK is at 3.06 a gallon right now

My parents filled up right outside vegas today on their way to the Detomoso Pantera show/event/race and it was $4.05 a gallon. Of course this was for premium, We dont own a vehicle that accepts regular haha, this was in a 03 Mercury Maruader. Here in the desert the average for premium, (91 octane), right now is $3.65 a gallon... Stan

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Oh BTW, VPRPWR and I plan on driving our L's to Lfest, racing, and driving our trucks back to SoCal prolly :eek: :bowdown: :rockon: :coolman: ... Stan

wallie40

Established Member
I drove from Los Angeles to Coeur D Alene, ID 1400 miles one way , 1400 miles back. 0 problems. Just a flat tired in Portland Or. Wasnt Lightning's fault. It was a nice ride, comfortable for my wife and I.

I loved the 93 oct in OR ,WA, ID. truck ran great.

-paul

klrsvt

KB Blown
Established Member
Enjoy the miles of dirt road ahead of you, including the numerous window chips, flat tires and rock dinge's all over the truck. I would not even think of taking my baby down that road but hey, I wish my fellow Alaskan good luck

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
FordFanStan said:
Oh BTW, VPRPWR and I plan on driving our L's to Lfest, racing, and driving our trucks back to SoCal prolly :eek: :bowdown: :rockon: :coolman: ... Stan

I'll be driving up from Houston as well. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread