Long tubes drops boost? Right or wrong??

98trmn8r

Established Member
I been hearing about long tubes droping boost compared to set ups without long tubes ... So with that being said if I have an 18# pulley I will see 16 or 17# of boost... I just installed my KB 2.8H with a 3.75" pulley according to KB I should see 18.5# of boost ... Now with me having long tubes I'm not going see 18#.... Is it true...???

svtaddict

Established Member
i have a 2.76 pulley and longtubes and am only seeing 12 pounds of boost but running 475 to the wheels. i don't know about on a whipple or kenne bell car but you generally do see boost drop by one or two pounds. however you should make more power because the engine will be running more efficiently.

98trmn8r

Established Member
My old set up made 467rwhp with longtubes and I was seeing 14# of boost with the 2.76" pulley ... I didn't see a change on boost

Anabolic

Banned
im losing 3lbs with my Mac LT/ offroad mid/SLP LM1s whipple 2.3 stock upper rated 13 im at 10-11 & she burns rubber in 2nd at 40mph

itSSlow98

Established Member
Yes, less restiction....less boost. Generally you will make the same or more power on less boost and youll really see the gains when you add that boost back in.

SVTDice

Established Member
Correct. PSI is actually a form of restriction. If you have more HP with less PSI, Your engine is being more efficient.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Correct. PSI is actually a form of restriction. If you have more HP with less PSI, Your engine is being more efficient.

boost is psi, psi is restriction, so remove restriction and get lower boost.

500hp on 10lbs
550hp on 10lbs <---- more efficient motor

sooo...what he said ^

TRBO VNM

Yup, boost is a measure of back pressure. Free up that back pressure by opening up the exhaust stream and boost goes down. Generally you are making the system more efficient, so you make the same or more power at lower boost.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
correct
you will drop a few PSI with small LTs and even more with 1 7/8th

with the headers in my sig pic (ARH's ) some guys have reported losing around 5 psi BUT gaining 40+ hp

98trmn8r

Established Member
I just installed my 2.8H KB 3.75" pulley stock lower according to KB is suppose to make 18.5# but now with the long tubes I'm not going to see that ... I have to get my car retuned before I go full throtle and see how much boost I'm making ...

03cobraracer

Established Member
Tossed mine in the trash. Broke apart leaking ect. Garbage.

Hell yeah man mine to. Even had them welded by a friend but just cracked again they are complete junk. Can't wait to get a quality exhaust on the car. Love my stingers though

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
JBA's really seem to be hit or miss. i know for my Bassani mid lengths, the welds started to crack after a few years.

SVTDice

Established Member
I have Pacesetter long tubes myself, I'm actually looking for a better replacement. I have a very slight exhaust leak on the drivers side. If I decide to do it, get myself a nice set and ceramic coat them. Any suggestions that are not $1000?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I wanna do a set of ARH so bad. I have jba shorties now and they are garbage

Tossed mine in the trash. Broke apart leaking ect. Garbage.

Hell yeah man mine to. Even had them welded by a friend but just cracked again they are complete junk. Can't wait to get a quality exhaust on the car. Love my stingers though

images

:p

testorossa1989

Established Member
They cause issues with clearance in autos, K-member spacers + steering column issues, and price. I dont see the point unless your going for a sound or say you dumped a lot of cheese for kooks. If your doing it to lower boost then most likely one of the above reasons will conflict

Users who are viewing this thread