Log Homes

haz-matt

Established Member
Getting ready to build a house sometime next year out in a rural area where I have land at. Wondered if any of you guys had log homes. I have read and heard bits about how they are very high maintenance. I love everything about them, the inside, the outside and the rugged yet refined look. I'm leaning very strongly towards going with one but don't know anyone personally that has one. Keeping all the exterior wood treated and stained seems like a daunting task. There is a model home a few hours away that I'm going to look at this week but I know I will get info that is slightly biased. Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
guba8udy.jpg

;)

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
We live in one. It was built in 1983. Logs need blasted/stained every 5 years or so. You aren't supposed to power wash them but it can be done if you are careful. The corn blasting is very expensive and messy. Other than that, maintenance is same as any other house.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Are termites a problem in your area?

Nope, because all my neighbors a=have log homes. LOL!

I always wanted a log home and still love the looks. FL scared me away from getting one, though modern termite treatment is supposed assure termite free homes. I was not sold on it.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I live in a log home and built it in 1989. It is made of Western Red Cedar logs and all the interior beams are Douglas Fir. If you build one stay away from pine logs they warp, crack and are more prone to bug issues.

Maintenance is not a concern. I have found that it needs exterior coating with a preservative every 6 to 8 years to keep it looking nice. Otherwise it darkens and begins to look grey. I have never needed to pressure wash or power blast mine.

The only drawback is in the mechanical systems. My house is large (over 3000 sq ft) and running ductwork for HVAC was a nuisance. Being that the exterior walls are solid log all of the runs and return ducts need to be placed in interior walls. Since most log homes are open with beams, there are limited interior walls in the right places for duct work. Proper planning while building can make it work. Also be sure to preplan everywhere you want outlets and lighting in the exterior walls. It is not easy to add or change things later.

A plus is that all of the interior walls are not load bearing. That makes it easy to change the floor plan around. I recently ripped out some downstairs walls and opened up an area when I redid the kitchen.

I like the house and enjoy sitting under the beamed ceiling in front of the stone fireplace looking out the French doors to the woods that surround my house. :coolman:

wht93gted

Established Member
A good friend of mine has one. Overall, he's happy, just some minor things he's had to deal with.

The first "issue" was carpenter bees. I'm not sure if they're an issue where you're looking, but here in NJ they're rampant. He had massive issues with swarms of them drilling their perfectly round 1/2" holes all over his house. It's a constant battle to fill the holes, and exterminate the bees.

The second issue was what someone else mentioned about the stripping and painting. He has a modest sized home, I think 1800sqft, and he paid just about $8000 to have it painted a year ago.

He had another issue with the interior logs becoming water stained, I don't remember from what, but to remedy he had to sand and re-finish huge sections of wall inside his house.

The final thing was noise, the house was noisy as hell inside. People walking upstairs would cause so much creaking and cracking noises, there's no hiding it. That's just because his upstairs floor was planks over the exposed beams underneath. So, sitting in the living room, you could hear the slightest movement anywhere upstairs.

I think, for me, I'd only have a log house if it were a vacation home, not a primary residence.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The first "issue" was carpenter bees. I'm not sure if they're an issue where you're looking, but here in NJ they're rampant. He had massive issues with swarms of them drilling their perfectly round 1/2" holes all over his house. It's a constant battle to fill the holes, and exterminate the bees.

Tell him to get a bunch of these and hang them up..... they work very well.

595_1218_carpenter-bees-trap.jpg

haz-matt

Established Member
Very interesting guys. Thanks for the input. I've not priced one myself but read online somewhere that a complete log home will end up costing $125-$200 per square ft. I'm not very familiar with the price of stick building a home but I thought that figure added up to be a bit more expensive than an average stick built home? I suppose all that has a lot to do with what bells and whistles and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread