local Ford dealer wont clean IMRC plates

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
The SCT tuning shop I use said to be sure to lubricate them before installing after cleaning with carb cleaner. If you want more info call Jim at www.swtuning.com.

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Their telling you to get new IMRC's which are over $1500.00 just for the parts. This is a classic sign of a dealership robbing you. I have the deletes on mine and let me tell you DO NOT get them keep your stock setup this will save you money and problems down the road. Deletes are obsolete now.

I know exactly what your talking about with robbing. Took the cobra in for an inspection and they claimed I needed 4 new tires and that they had a great selection of tires to choose from.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Yeah, there's not much more to say. I owned a '95 push rod engine, and have no experience with IMRCs, but I've read every post (practically) in the last few years.

You can do everything you mentioned that the dealer was going to do. Get a Haynes Repair Manual (for good measure, & technical Specs), floor jack, and two car stands. You'll learn a lot, and will have very little trouble.

The money saved will be well worth the extra effort. It may take you a couple or three days, but so would the dealer. Just put quality parts back on. Good hoses, and OEM gaskets.

Now, if you don't have a garage, and you don't have some good tools, and aren't terribly mechanically inclined ... you may have a problem. But really, everything we've talked about is relatively simple, as long as you can read.

Good luck:banana::read::banana:

tbone7467

Established Member
Well I took it to another ford shop based on what people here said. The new shop said with out a shadow of a doubt there is no way that my first estimate could have set off the check engine light. They also did the smoke test like was meantioned here and found a few issue, one being that the IMRC plates were bad and needed to be replaced. Im looking at about 2100-2600 for the repairs.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
The first thing I'd do is get it out of that dealership, and look for a speed shop that works on the 4.6 4V engine. A lot of the owners are removing their IMRCs ... why are you buying new ones? This question is from a 5.0 previous owner :shrug:.

Vigilante

Established Member
Delete them. No way should you have to buy them or fix them sense they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Vigilante

Established Member
I'm not quite sure but somebody said, can't remember who or when, that you can just remove the plate and leave in the rods and delete the function and code.
Or you could take the rods out and fill the holes and you've now made you own.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
buy delete plates from NA SVT and then get a tune after you install them to clear the codes, you will spend far far less than 2 grand the stealership wants

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Well I took it to another ford shop based on what people here said. The new shop said with out a shadow of a doubt there is no way that my first estimate could have set off the check engine light. They also did the smoke test like was meantioned here and found a few issue, one being that the IMRC plates were bad and needed to be replaced. Im looking at about 2100-2600 for the repairs.

Dude that's nuts. Seriously, for that much money, drive the car to Missouri and I'll clean them for you for free. 1000 miles / 20 mpg * $4.25/gallon * 2 is around $400 in gas + 20 in carb cleaner instead of 2100-2600.

I have cleaned the IMRCs so many times I can get everything apart in about 40 minutes.

Don't get any cleaner on the rubber gaskets or they will swell for a week. With 97,000 miles I can promise you everything is going to be nasty.

I deleted mine but I probably wouldn't delete them again unless I was going forced induction. (Which I am but I'm using a complete 03 motor.)

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
get yourself some hi temp epoxy and pull them, clean them, and delete them. bring it to me I will do it for a case of beer.

tbone7467

Established Member
I guess it isnt that they need to be cleaned, they failed all together. some of the housings were warped also.

as for deleting the IMRC's I read this about doing that:

Some people will go as far as deleting the IMRCs with a kit, but this causes bucking, stuttering and a loss of torque

sighwest

Established Member
I would suggest you read more about imrcs, their intended purpose, practicality and what thousands of cobra owners have done about them. Many times they've been deleted, and the car retuned to adjust any negative effects.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I'm not quite sure but somebody said, can't remember who or when, that you can just remove the plate and leave in the rods and delete the function and code.
I am the one that said that. But the butterfly plates themselves are what keep the rods from sliding out, so you will need to fabricate a small stop that screws to the same spot that one of the IMRC plates screws to hold the rods in against the wall of the port. You could easily do it by cutting down one of the butterfly plates to be the width of the rod.

If you do that, you don't need to delete the function and the code.

Users who are viewing this thread