local Ford dealer wont clean IMRC plates

tbone7467

Established Member
My check engine light came on after a year worth of sitting in the garage on blocks for upgrades and tune-ups. I took it to my local ford dealer and had them test the computer and let me know what was wrong. They told me that my Intake gaskets were bad and needed replacing. well since I needed some other stuff done I figured since its all inter-related I would have it done too. so I told them new radiator hoses, thermostat, serpetine belt, and also clean my IMRC plates while your in there. well after I got the estimate they are going to charge me labor to do the things that they were already doing to replace the gaskets like draining the coolant, stuff like that.

They told me that they wont clean my IMRC plates. I was like why I have read plenty about them getting gunked up and not working right. Now was the best time to do it since they would be in there working. After talking to the mechanic he told me that when you clean them off it could clean out the bushings and cause issues later on. I was like well if they get gunked up and wont open and close correctly cant that cause issues also? He was like well yeah. I have never really cleaned them before. At this point I am thinking I need to find a diffrent shop. if he has never done them can I trust he will know what he is doing when he cracks open my intake?

my question since a few people here have cleaned their IMRC plates were there any issue or will this cause issue. No deleting them is not an option for me at this time.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I can't imagine your intake gaskets throwing a code. I think if the gaskets were a problem you would have a vacuum leak, and that causes drivability or at least idle problems. Cleaning the plates is a good thing to do, assuming that they need it.

My advice is to pull the codes yourself. Auto zone type places can do it for you for free. Then look up what the numbers refer too and ask some questions then.

When I took my car in to get the IMRC's cleaned at a dealer, they tried to tell me that my injectors were "brittle", and that I needed to replace all of them at $150 each. There's some serious BS right there. This dealer you are talking to sounds like they are full of it too, IMO.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
My check engine light came on after a year worth of sitting in the garage on blocks for upgrades and tune-ups. I took it to my local ford dealer and had them test the computer and let me know what was wrong. They told me that my Intake gaskets were bad and needed replacing. well since I needed some other stuff done I figured since its all inter-related I would have it done too. so I told them new radiator hoses, thermostat, serpetine belt, and also clean my IMRC plates while your in there. well after I got the estimate they are going to charge me labor to do the things that they were already doing to replace the gaskets like draining the coolant, stuff like that.

They told me that they wont clean my IMRC plates. I was like why I have read plenty about them getting gunked up and not working right. Now was the best time to do it since they would be in there working. After talking to the mechanic he told me that when you clean them off it could clean out the bushings and cause issues later on. I was like well if they get gunked up and wont open and close correctly cant that cause issues also? He was like well yeah. I have never really cleaned them before. At this point I am thinking I need to find a diffrent shop. if he has never done them can I trust he will know what he is doing when he cracks open my intake?

my question since a few people here have cleaned their IMRC plates were there any issue or will this cause issue. No deleting them is not an option for me at this time.

Bullchit. Take it to another deal or save yourself hundreds and do it yourself. Its not that hard of a job really. There are write-ups on the net to guide you through it. The gaskets are reuseable and are pretty strong. -Mark

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i can understand where he is coming from, but now a days, with work they way it is at this dealership... i would be being for that kinda work...lol

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
do it yourself, it will take you a day to do it all but save you tons of cash and you will feel good about yourself afterwards

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
If you do a search you will find that about half of the members who have cleaned their IMRC's have had idle issues afterwards. Maybe the mechanic knew what he was talking about? But definitely if you want something done right you might was well do it yourself, if you can.

Last edited:

Svets96

Established Member
Their telling you to get new IMRC's which are over $1500.00 just for the parts. This is a classic sign of a dealership robbing you. I have the deletes on mine and let me tell you DO NOT get them keep your stock setup this will save you money and problems down the road. Deletes are obsolete now.

tbone7467

Established Member
No my intake gaskets they say are bad. I asked if they would clean my IMRC plates when they have the intake apart for the gaskets. They said no because They dont clean them because you damage them that way.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
If your intake gaskets where bad your first clue would not be a code. It sounds like a hose job to me....as said before...check the code yourself you will be glad you did.

elcobrita

Established Member
dude, y dont you want to delete them? just do it bro. its easy. doesnt cost you any money. and you acutally feel the kick of the car after 3700 rpms. it idles fine. you dont loose any torque in the low end. you cant loose if you delete them dude.

caliboy08

Established Member
u guys can't call b.s. on the dealer right away... if they smoked the intake, maybe the gaskets are leaking... the dealer won't clean the plates(too much liability).. besides its an easy fix.. get the codes scanned and do the IMRC cleaning yourself and replace the gaskets too....:rockon::beer:

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
He says the car drives fine, and threw a CEL. He takes it to the dealer asking what is wrong. They say his intake gaskets are bad.

I think he is looking for a solution to the CEL, not to tear into the top end changing gaskets and cleaning IMRCs when it might not be necessary. If the code said they were stuck shut or open that would be one thing, but we don't know that. We don't even know how many miles are on the car. If he has 20k on it there should not be any reason to do a cleaning.

I'd be looking for another place for car service for sure.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
What I 1st want to know is how that gasket goes bad? I have taken mine off and put it back on several times, and I can't see why it would "go bad" if not ever being messed with to begine with. I suppose it could get cracked, but that's about it. Personaly, I would rather replace ALL of that stuff you mentioned myself as I would not trust them to either #1 do it at all, or #2 do it correctly.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
No my intake gaskets they say are bad. I asked if they would clean my IMRC plates when they have the intake apart for the gaskets. They said no because They dont clean them because you damage them that way.

Bull. Unless you're stuffing 100psi of boost down its throat those gaskets rarely break. If the gaskets were bad you'd be pulling unmetered air in which its not going to tell where. It will just say a lean condition if anything. They are trying to rip you off. Tell them to F off. Do it yourself and post a thread on here. All of us will help and guide you through the process. I hate dealerships. -Mark

tbone7467

Established Member
The car has about 94,000 miles (1997 Cobra). They did say it was running lean, caused by the intake gaskets. It was sitting for the last year and a half Driven live a total of a month during that peroid (like 2 weeks her a few days there). I was doing a huge tune up and fab'ing some subframes to go under my CDC side exhaust. I ordered a set that was suppose to work from Paul's High performance, they were total garbage. Took forever to get them (came damaged), didnt come with instructions, when I was able to get a hold of them again for the instructions the bars caved in during install. Totally a Waste the bar walls were so thin that I could have probably crushed them by standing on them. When I tried contacting them to see about refund for defective materials I never heard back from them $235 down the drain. As thin as the bars were i doubt they would have helped. I ended up making some custom ones that work very well with the help of my dad. we also started a huge stereo install when my parents got sick so the car sat for a long time. I ended up not being happy about the weight I added to the car from the stereo so I ended up pulling it and starting over. Now I have a lot of stereo. Well it hit the ground this spring. had to get new tires and after I put them on order bang Check engine light. and a Bill for 550 for 2 rear tires. How Gay!!

Users who are viewing this thread