Live closest to the most tracks with the most events...

racer726

Established Member
If I could live anywhere... where should I live, if I wanted to be nearest to the most real racetracks with the most events to open track a pony car... or to race in the NASA series maybe... where would this be?

A while back I lived in Colorado Springs, and road raced a motorcycle... 30 minutes to Pikes Peak International Raceway, an hour to Pueblo Motorsports Park, less than 2 hours to Second Creek by DIA, and about 2 hours to Mountainview or whatever it was called at the Mead exit off the I-25. Some of those tracks are closed now, and that was for motorcycles... so I had it pretty good... but that was then and this is now.

I live in Phoenix now, not too bad, all year around track activities, but a little tough for about 2-3 months out of the year for obvious reasons. I have Firebird East, Firebird West, Firebird Main tracks about 20 minutes away... Phoenix International Raceway about 45 minutes, and Arroyo Seco about 3-4 hours away. I could be at the track about once every month on average or even more sometimes, but since they closed AMP, there aren't any good tracks really, and some of the events are somewhat lame.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I also live in the desert, palmdale ca. I live 25 minutes from willow springs, there they have willow springs big track, streets of willow and horse theif mile. Buttonwillow is less then 2 hours away. I loive about 10 minutes fronm lacr (drags) they usually have wednesday night drags, friday night drags and most weekends but they are closing soon. Then there is california speedway (about an hour away) either in the parking lot or on the oval/infield, they just biult a new drag strip. Most of these tracks are booked year round.

Cobra-R

Established Member
You are sitting in a pretty nice position as far as tracks go compared to the 5 hr drive I have to get to any real track.

I have always admired the indiana guys where they have decent acces to the great tracks in the eastern US. Mid-Ohio, VIR(?), Road America, Putnam, Autobahn, Gingerman, Mosport(?), beaver run, ect are all within a half days drive or so.

Brian

Last edited:

1993R

Established Member
Atlanta. You have Road Atlanta,Atlanta Dragway,Lanier Speedway and Chateau Elan, and Lake Lanier on the NE side of town. Atlanta Motor Speedway on the Southside.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
I agree with Brian - Indiana or western Ohio would be my first choice. Four of the best tracks in the nation (VIR, The Glen, Mid-O and Road America) all a reasonable drive away.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
+another for Brian and Fred.
I live in Western Michigan and love it. 2 hours to Gingerman, 1 hour to Grattan, 4-5 hrs for Autobahn, 7 hours to Putnam Park, probably about 7 to Mid-Ohio, 3-4 for Waterford Hills, I am sure there are even more but if I lived father south there would be a ton more that much closer.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
1993R said:
Atlanta. You have Road Atlanta...

I don't know, Larry. You also have massive traffic jams and high property taxes. :-D I just wanted to take a nice Sunday afternoon cruise a couple of days ago and found a backed-up Hwy 400 that didn't allow me to reach my destination (the north Georgia mountains). I rode around at 0-30mph for an hour and came home.

I'd suggest N. Georgia (north of Rd Atl). You'll have RA, Roebling (Savannah, 4 hours and now repaved), Sebring (9.5 hours), Mid-Ohio (12 hours), VIR (6 hours), Barber (4 hours), and if you have any racing funds left you can get to the north courses in a day and a half (or one day if you want to kill yourself). You can also enjoy some spirited mountain pass driving to bed in your brakes (within the traffic laws).

BTW, when are you going to scrap off the mothballs from your (our ;-) ) 93R and get it to the local tracks? :poke:

1993R

Established Member
Well I would agree on the North Georgia part. Of course being in beautiful Winder I don't have any of Atlanta's problems. I'm currently under- employed again and doing a job search now. In the last 30 days I actually have started my own transportation and logistics company.So in other words things might start picking back up for the R soon. I actually have been driving it to my kids school occassionally. I also have been screwing around with the ACR some. Might do some OT and Solo II in it for kicks next year...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I live in Spring, Texas and I love it.

Our tracks don't close for winter(that I know of).
We don't have salt on our roads(no snow).
You don't need a winter rat(like I needed in Syracuse).
Lots of job opportunities.
ETC.. ETC.. YADA YADA YADA... bing bang BONG ...

MSR Houston is 56 miles from me.
http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/TX/MSR.html

Texas World Speedway is 76 miles away from me
http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/index.php

MSR Cresson is 260 miles
http://www.motorsportranch.com/

There are more being built...:pepper: :rockon: :banana:

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Detroit, MI!

I have Gingerman, Grattan, Waterford (Does that count?), MIS, Autobahn, Blackhawk Farms, Putman, IRP, Mosport, Mid Ohio, Beaverun and Nelson Ledges within 5 hrs of my house. Within 7 hrs add Watkins Glen and Road America.

Our tracks AREN'T open the whole year which is an advantage because you have 4-5 months to repair and maintain the car and you don't feel like your missing anything!!

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
In northeast NJ, we also have traffic jams and high taxes....but also the following tracks:

Lime Rock = 2 hours - small but fun!
Pocono = 2 hours - Roval with several configurations, not one of my fav's
Watkins Glen = 4.5 hours - One of the best!
Summit Pt = 5 hours - 2 fun tracks
beaverun = 6 hours - havent been there yet
mid ohio = 8 hours = havent been there yet
VIR = 11 hours - awesome track and facility!

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Kansas City, 45 minutes from Heartland Park and 3 hours away from Midamerica Motorplex and 3.5 hours from Hallett.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
cobraracer46 said:
San Francisco Ca. 45 minuets from infineon raceway, 1.5 hours away from Laguna Seca, 3 hours away from thunder-hill park.
I think we have a winner here (although I couldn't afford to live in the City By the Bay).

I still prefer Sears Point Raceway to Infinite RacyThingy. :-D

Who can beat Sears Point and Laguna Seca within less than two hours? :poke:

It gives me an excuse to post a picture of Mustangs at the famous corkscrew at Laguna Seca:

Laguna%20Seca.jpg

NJ2000R said:
Watkins Glen = 4.5 hours - One of the best!
Yep...Maybe THE best?

We've done this before but...
Watkins Glen, Sebring, Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Road America must have the longest and best history?

The next five?
Road Atlanta, VIR, Mid-Ohio, Mosport, and ?

SDW Racing

Established Member
I'm with Ken on this....

Club Cranky considers Watkins Glen its 'home track'. Yoy can't beat it, rich in road racing history, has the the support of the village, the racing museum, the original street course that folks now parade on prior to key vintage events.

We love to take folks on a tour of the original course and you think how, back in the day, guys were running 'balls to the wall' with cable activated drum brakes in open roadsters, its just amazing.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would love to be able to run "The Glen"... I used to flag there when we still had Formula 1, Can Am, 6 hours, and Trans Am....

A truely fantastic track!!! Lots of guard rail...:eek: but certainly much safer now than when I worked there!!!:rockon:

I still remember Gille in the Ferrari lapping the field IN THE RAIN!!!:eek: :pepper: :banana: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Gille tribute-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEFprKV6SC0

jimbbski

Established Member
I live south of Chicago just off I-80 near Il & IN state line.

I have the following tracks near by and travel time:

AUtobahn - 40 minutes
Gingerman - 1.5 hours
BlackHawk Farms - 2.25 hours
Road America - 3.0 hours
Grattan - 3.5 hours
Waterford - 5.0 hours
IRP - 3.0 hours
Putman - 3.0 hours
MidOhio - 6.0
Nelsen Ledges - 7.5 hours
Beaver Run - ?
Gateway - 5.0 hours
Mid America - 8.0 hours
Brainard - 10.0 hours
Watkins Glen - 12.0 hours

I know there are 1 or 2, I missed.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
South of Chicago isn't bad, but at little further east puts you in better range for great "right coast" road courses like The Glen and VIR (Full track).

Johnny Mac... good to hear from you bro. I am dying to return to Watkins Glen. Bruce and I were taliking about it last weekend and we may make that a priority for 07. Hopefully we can hook up with the crankoids again???

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
Watkins Glen

Fred if you pack up and leave right now Thurs.9/14 you can be at WGI for the NASA Northeast event starting Monday.:poke: Johnny Mac won't be there but Rich Alpert will be with his outragous 700 HP 67 Mustang.:thumbsup:

Last event of the season at WGI for a lot of us.:whine: Switching to the small track at LRP for those with mufflers.:rollseyes

Perhaps see you guys next year???:idea:

RD

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SDW Racing said:
I'm with Ken on this....

Club Cranky considers Watkins Glen its 'home track'. Yoy can't beat it, rich in road racing history, has the the support of the village, the racing museum, the original street course that folks now parade on prior to key vintage events.

JM you forgot the best part. The Club Cranky Track Whores with their very own resident Stand-up Comic!! :rockon: :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread