Limitations of -8 feed line on e85?

ctgreddy

Established Member
Over the past weekend I found my limit on the aem320e pumps I have. Going to change them out for the walbro's over winter. Curious if anyone knows what the limit of a -8 feed line is on e85. If I should upgrade to -10 now while the tank will be dropped or not. Long term I want something that will support ~900whp blower/e85. If -8 wont support that I'll change it now so I dont have to drop the tank again down the road.

Soap

Established Member
You will be fine, -8 will support a ton of power as long as your other components are up to the task. Make sure you get the high pressure 465's.

I know guys who have made 1xxx to the tire with -8 feed on ethanol.

--Joe

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
At what hp did you max out the aem 320e?

ctgreddy

Established Member
At what hp did you max out the aem 320e?

I’m actually now thinking the pumps are fine and I maxed out the injector. I looked at my logs last night and fuel pressure was holding steady. But trying to richen up the tune I couldnt so something was at its limit.

But due to cold temps I was making 24.5 lbs of boost so I’d guess in the 800whp range.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m actually now thinking the pumps are fine and I maxed out the injector. I looked at my logs last night and fuel pressure was holding steady. But trying to richen up the tune I couldnt so something was at its limit.

But due to cold temps I was making 24.5 lbs of boost so I’d guess in the 800whp range.
Cool, keep us posted.

Soap

Established Member
Can you just up the base pressure of your regulator and see if it gives you headroom on the injector? Not sure what max pressure of those 320's is, you might be pushing it if they have like a 80psi relief valve.

--Joe

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
we are pretty close set up wise. difference is I have ID1000's, and the lethal performance 2nd gen hat with 2# 340's. Running out of 1 pump at 550hp. Tuner said if I want 750+ the 340's might be at there limits. I switched out to the wally 450's(267) put on the 3.5 pulley and seen 24.5 lbs at 2k rpm's tuner said lets back it down so the 4.0 pulley went back on.

Gonna try next year once e85 here gets up to well e85.. mid june

cj428mach

Established Member
Have you logged injector duty cycle?
I know everyone thought me and Malcolm were full of it when we said we pegged our id1000s.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I know everyone thought me and Malcolm were full of it when we said we pegged our id1000s.

I've tried but cant find injector duty cycle pid to log.

I will be upping base pressure as I dont see myself making a whole lot more power next year as I made last week. Eventually I'm gonna switch to ms3 so I can get some holley 160's. Until then gonna ride out the current set as I dont really want to spend the money on a set of dw 1200's or ID 1300's.

cj428mach

Established Member
I've tried but cant find injector duty cycle pid to log.

I'm sorry I'm not much help there, I was running Binary Editor at the time when I discovered my injector issue. There was an injector duty cycle pid in their software.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm running -8 feed line, 320e pumps, and id1000 injectors. My base fuel pressure is 45psi. My injectors are at 91%.

IMAG2218_zps8lledksf.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2217_zps9loihbgo.jpg
    IMAG2217_zps9loihbgo.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I was told the same thing about the -8, and it's 1,000+hp capabilities on E85. Why not just sell off the injectors and buy some ID1300s? With Black Friday sales coming up on blowers, someone is bound to buy them off of you!

MalcolmV8

Established Member

Yup there seems to be a lot of misconception about how much power ID1000s will hold on E85. I've since seen many others peg them and they always feel something is wrong because everyone feels they are so huge they'll never max them out. I suppose that was me several years ago too. Most guys around here with 1200 + seem to always switch to -10 as caution so I couldn't say if it's needed or not.

OP as for -8 line. I can't tell you its exact limit but I'll tell you I've seen over 1000 whp on E85 with -8 with no issues.

As for injector duty cycle if you're data logging with SCT the PID you want is "INJECTOR DUTY CYCLE". Use the search in live link when selecting PIDS and find it.

Soap

Established Member
I was just reading an article from DeatschWerks on fuel line sizing and it said this...

“Most of the factory Mustangs will use a 5/16-inch fuel line for the supply,” Mark Hutchison, Marketing Coordinator for DeatschWerks, explained. “On many of the applications we deal with, 5/16-inch, or -5AN for an inside diameter size reference, will support around 750 horsepower. Beyond the 1,000 horsepower mark, a 1/2-inch or -8AN equivalent would be necessary.”

Hope it helps.

--Joe

Users who are viewing this thread