Likelihood of Ford screwing over 2015 buyers just like 2010 owners?

BigDan

Established Member
My buddy is super pumped for the new 2015 and plans on getting one as soon as they come out. I think he should wait until the 2016 specs are released because I see things going down just like they did in 2010.

Ford and GM have a bad habit of using carry over engines/ trans their first year of a new or updated vehicle only to put their new/better engine/trans in the following year.

With the 6th Gen Camaro due out for 2016 MY I can see Ford offering MAJOR upgrade's like Direct Injection, optional track suspension and maybe even a Tremec 6060 to hold up to the added hp and low end torque as a result of the DI.

Last edited:

StuckInNY

Established Member
I'm sure they will want to keep it fresh, so there will probably be updates sooner rather than later in this generation (especially considering it is now a "world car"). The main 2 that come to mind are direct injection and the rumored 10-speed auto. I'm not sure they will be changing the engine anytime soon. I believe they needed to for 2011 to keep a level playing field with the Camaro engines. If the new Camaro gets the 450hp engine from the Corvette, Ford just needs to add Direct Injection to keep pace hp-wise (should be good for a little bump).

Last edited:

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
That's a good point considering the 2010 to 2011 change. I just don't see them putting in a Tremec in the 16 base GT.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I don't think you'll see any major changes shortly after 2015.

1. EVERYBODY knew 2 years in advance that the Coyote was coming. If you didn't know, you lived under a rock.
2. The 2015's are getting a TON of upgrades, even to the engine. The car itself has countless upgrades, therefore no big changes are needed for 2-3 years. This is unlike the 2010, which was basically a reskin of the 05-09 car with a tweaked interior. The Coyote didn't come one year later because Ford felt the heat to upgrade; it was absolutely intended for 2010, they just couldn't make it happen.

I don't think any 2015 owners will have buyer's remorse. Aside from the SVT versions, we haven't really heard of anything new in the pipeline. If it was coming for 2016, we would have had ears on it by now.

steeltoe

Established Member
Ford did that with the F-150, Escape, Fusion along with the Mustang so I don't see how Ford screwed anyone.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
If you did a little research and just waited a bit, knowing the history, you wouldn't get "screwed".

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Ford was already behind with the 300hp powerplant. With the 420-450 5.0 they are still ahead of the curve, there will not be anything new for a while. Fords original plan all along was the 5.0 in the 10 however either marketing or the counters said lets give an upgrade each year instead of all at once. We may never know if that worked or not.

We still dont know the specs of the 15 5.0 so until we do its all mute anyway. I have heard(but none from my sources) same as 14 GT to the boss specs 5.0.

BigDan

Established Member
Ford did the same to 2010 GT500 buyers who spent $47k + $1k GG tax only for Ford to give the 2011 GT500 all these standard upgrades for a $1,500 increase in price.

*Aluminum block
*Electric steering
*Silver finish on SC
*Blue power coat valve covers
*Improved exhaust manifolds
*Larger exhaust diameter
*H pipe vs 2010 X pipe
*More aggressive sounding mufflers
*Painted rear end
*Finned aluminum diff cover
*Improved brake cooling
*Auto start ignition
*40% larger inter cooler
*HID's standard
*No gas guzzler tax
*Flip up/ down rear headrests
* Improved under body aero dynamics
*Orange antifreeze
*Bigger faster more complex computer
*Knock Sensors that accurately control timing vs an IAT sensor
*New colors
*Improved suspension, fixed the 2010's wheel hop.
*10 horsepower more but seems to make more like 20whp
*Factory "Boost a pump" for the fuel pump
*"My key" for limiting speed and TC for certain keys
*Different tuning due to the 2011-12 constantly making peak whp at redline
*Optional glass roof
*Blind spot side view mirrors.
*extra sound deadening material

+ everything that's in the optional SVT PP like

19 and 20" light weight forged wheels
Goodyear G2 tires that pull 1.0g same tires as Z06
Lowered suspension
Larger sway bars
Improved shocks/ struts
3.73 rear end
White shift knob
Lemans stripes

Most reviewers could immediately feel the weight difference, and the 2011 PP shaved 9 seconds a lap off the 2010 at VIR. My 2011 weighed only 3,660lbs with just Racestars. I could of got it into the 3,5xxlb range with a one piece drive shaft and aftermarket exhaust which is crazy light for a GT500. All of the added features made it so I didn't have to modify my suspension, buy exhaust, buy better tires, buy new gears, etc.

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I would honestly really like a to vs pony car, especially if they will have fueling fixes for DI. I would probably replace my gt500 with one. Now, will for or Chevy be the first to do it......

BMR Tech

They may make changes to the car itself, but likely not the engine and trans.

Ford hit a homerun with the Coyote powerplant.

Then, they revise the Coyote Powerplant for MY 2015.

You cannot compare it to 2010. Ford did not revise the 3V engine drastically, for 2010, then swap to a Coyote.

IMO, this last revision of the Coyote will be "the one" to get.

I think the future is going to be dominated by more efficient engines. (smaller cubes, etc)

The base V6 will be the breadwinner for Ford. The Eco-Boost, IMO, was designed to slowly start taking the place of the big bad V8's. Why else have (3) engine options?

The SVT model, IMO, will likely be Naturally Aspirated for the first time since 2003.

Hmmmm

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The Eco-Boost, IMO, was designed to slowly start taking the place of the big bad V8's. Why else have (3) engine options?

I agree. The future CAFE requirements are very aggressive, and I suspect that the mainstream NA V8 will largely go away some day for all but the really small volume specialty models.

BMR Tech

A new NA svt motor will have to have more cubes. And a lot more to make svt kind of power.

A 600 HP Naturally Aspirated DOHC engine would be somewhat awesome, especially if the S550 ends up being lighter than the S197, by a good amount.

Imagine a 3400-3500lb S550, with IRS, and 600HP N/A. It would likely be 50/50....and be LETHAL on a road course.

Troponin

Established Member
This is why I didn't wait for 2015 to come out. I went ahead and took advantage of the insane discounts offered on the 2014s, and will assess what Ford is doing. By the time the 2016s are being discounted, my truck will be nearly paid off, and I will end up with either a GT500 or GT if the powerplant is high enough in power.

darreng505

Established Member
A 600 HP Naturally Aspirated DOHC engine would be somewhat awesome, especially if the S550 ends up being lighter than the S197, by a good amount.

Imagine a 3400-3500lb S550, with IRS, and 600HP N/A. It would likely be 50/50....and be LETHAL on a road course.

That would be a dream combo. And might make me set aside my styling gripes.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The S550 will not be significantly lighter if lighter at all. The base GT should weigh in at about the same weight of the past model 3600-3650 depending on options. SVT will still have a winner if the GT350 ends up being in the 550hp and 3600lb range. The power of the 11/12 GT500 while weighing 200lbs less and having a dramatic driving/handling advantage even before the weight loss. A winner if you ask me. Remember this would be more power and significantly lighter than the new Z28.

jbs$

Established Member
I may hate myself in the morning for saying this, however, at this point, I am considering going with one of the new Z06's when they become available. HP north of 635, weight under 3500 and a eight speed paddle shifter just sounds exciting. Time to add to the garage, again.

13GT5.0

Established Member
I may hate myself in the morning for saying this, however, at this point, I am considering going with one of the new Z06's when they become available. HP north of 635, weight under 3500 and a eight speed paddle shifter just sounds exciting. Time to add to the garage, again.

Best bang for the ultimate buck.

Users who are viewing this thread