Lightweight 03/04 hoods????

ls1eater

Established Member
Two questions....How much does the stock hood weigh......and Does anyone make an aftermarket fiberglass/carbonfiber 03/04 hood????
Thinking about putting the cobra on a diet with a hood, racing seats, weld rims, and maybe a battery relocator.....!!!!!! Thanks Matt

OmahaStang

Established Member
I've tried to research this myself. If you do a search in Exterior/interior modifications there is a post with someone putting a stock style carbon fiber hood on their car. I think the weight savings were around 20lbs.
However I would like some 'hard' numbers in regards to this too.. Since I have a black cobra a carbon fiber hood would blend in a little bit better then say a YELLOW cobra. :)

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
How bout some stock style carbon fiber front fenders. All I can find is the Z3 vented nasty looking ones. Anybody make'em? how much lighter would they be? I'm trying to get the front end lightened up a good bit

carbon fiber hood + fenders
tubular k + coil over conversion
battery relocation
aluminum block when the stock shortblock gives out

All that together would pull about 150lbs directly off the front as well as moving the 30lb battery to the back which would be about 180lbs off the front. Should make a huge difference in the cars handling, braking, and launching characteristics.

Duran

Matador
Established Member
DSG2003SVT said:
How bout some stock style carbon fiber front fenders. All I can find is the Z3 vented nasty looking ones. Anybody make'em? how much lighter would they be? I'm trying to get the front end lightened up a good bit

carbon fiber hood + fenders
tubular k + coil over conversion
battery relocation
aluminum block when the stock shortblock gives out

All that together would pull about 150lbs directly off the front as well as moving the 30lb battery to the back which would be about 180lbs off the front. Should make a huge difference in the cars handling, braking, and launching characteristics.

+1

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Cervini's makes an 03 hood, but they say it will not fit without a 99-01 bumper. Weird?

cobra12003

Established Member
What is the stock hood and trunk of the 03,04 made of?
I noticed it is some type of fiber,plastic already did everyone know this already ,or maybe I just did;nt

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
You're probably right, but 10lbs here, 5lbs there...all that adds up. I'm trying to lighten up this nose heavy, brake diving beast in the front so that I can balance it out a little. The car doesn't handle THAT badly (compared to other mustangs especially) but I'd like to help it out a little more. After I lighten up the front, add the stereo to the back seat area (not much stereo), and beef up the rear with some more bracing, that should level it out a good bit.

racebronco2

Established Member
to get an idea the weight of carbon fiber fenders are tiger racing has them with 2" flares and weigh 4lbs at a cost of about $700-$800 a piece.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Ugh!! Those things are pretty nasty looking, maybe if I had a strictly autoX car that never saw the street I would do that. I wish people could just make stock style ones. Shipping weight on a stock front fender is something like 12lbs. if I remember correctly. That's about 16lbs less, about the same weight savings as a carbon fiber hood.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Someone once posted the actual weight of the stock hood. Last year I think. You might try a search.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
well, my carbon fiber VIS hood weighs about 15 lbs. the stock one is about 35lbs. my batt. is in the trunk, and the front bumper is gone. its true that weight savings of 5lbs here, and 8lbs here add up. my car weighs 34xx right now, with a 1/4 tank of gas. i have removed anything i deem non functional and heavy. there are tons of heavy steel items under the dash, in the trunk, under the hood, ect. btw, i still have the factory K member, most interior, radio, and a/c

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
03InThe11s said:
well, my carbon fiber VIS hood weighs about 15 lbs. the stock one is about 35lbs. my batt. is in the trunk, and the front bumper is gone. its true that weight savings of 5lbs here, and 8lbs here add up. my car weighs 34xx right now, with a 1/4 tank of gas. i have removed anything i deem non functional and heavy. there are tons of heavy steel items under the dash, in the trunk, under the hood, ect. btw, i still have the factory K member, most interior, radio, and a/c

Hows the fit on the VIS hood? Is the latch nice and sturdy (steel reinforced)?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
fit is very good, it it slightly lower in the middle (about a 1/4"), as in it doesnt match up with the fender perfectly as far as hight goes, but otherwise, it fits perfectly. and the hood isnt exactly sturdy itself, but the latch is from a ford factory hood, and is steel reinforced, so its fine.

Users who are viewing this thread