Lightning guys: What do you think of this claim?

Kiohtee

Established Member
That really doesn't do anything per se...

:dw:

Go line a stock Lightning up against a stock Syclone and tell me AWD "doesn't do anything per se." That's the entire point of this thread.

Having said that, I'd take a Lightning all day, every day over a Syclone. But I'll still break my neck trying to catch a glimpse of said Syclone and give it credit where credit is due. :beer:

PACETTR

Established Member

LMFAO

Go line a stock Lightning up against a stock Syclone and tell me AWD "doesn't do anything per se." That's the entire point of this thread.

Having said that, I'd take a Lightning all day, every day over a Syclone. But I'll still break my neck trying to catch a glimpse of said Syclone and give it credit where credit is due. :beer:

x2

AWD is also much better in poor weather. The argument that truck A can do X but truck B can't is ignorant at best. A lightning can't pull a 15k load or go off-road so I guess the only real truck is a 4x4 diesel. /sarcasm

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

Agreed.

14.1 @ 93 according to C&D. Top speed of 126.:sleeping: Don't know of hero runs by individuals stock, so you'll have to clue me in. My stock Lightning as I bought it used in 00 with 12K miles on it, went 13.98 @ 99 in Baton Rouge during the Summer. I know of may quicker times stock from 01+ but since not mine I won't quote them.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
LMFAO

x2

AWD is also much better in poor weather. The argument that truck A can do X but truck B can't is ignorant at best. A lightning can't pull a 15k load or go off-road so I guess the only real truck is a 4x4 diesel. /sarcasm

Keep it to sport trucks. Lightning is the best all around sports truck. 2nd quickest behing the SRT10 RCSB, but you couldn't tow from the factory with those either. So once again Lightning wins!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Agreed.

14.1 @ 93 according to C&D. Top speed of 126.:sleeping: Don't know of hero runs by individuals stock, so you'll have to clue me in. My stock Lightning as I bought it used in 00 with 12K miles on it, went 13.98 @ 99 in Baton Rouge during the Summer. I know of may quicker times stock from 01+ but since not mine I won't quote them.

What you don't seem to understand is the gap in time between these two trucks. 14.1 @ 93 was moving pretty good back then, but especially for a truck. It didn't have a big V8 with a supercharger bolted to the top, so it wasn't expected to be a 1/2 mile bruiser (I'm not saying the Lightning is either).

Bottom line: the Syclone was/is a QUICK truck and makes for a damn good stoplight beater. Per cheatsheet.com I believe: "The GMC Syclone has become somewhat of a legend. On one hand, it appears to be a small commuter pickup truck, with very little to offer in terms of performance. On the other, it was an absolute monster on the track, even keeping pace with Ferrari and Lamborghini models in its prime. Even Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear was thoroughly impressed with the Syclone when he took it for a spin way back in 1991. The Syclone’s 0-60 time is pegged somewhere between 4.6 and 5.3 seconds, a speed that has yet to be matched by any other trucks even resembling the Syclone to this day."

Edit: You'll get no argument from me that the Lightning is the best sports truck out there. And I'd take one, again, any day over a Syclone on practicability alone. But again, it's a truck from the early '90s. We don't say the GNX is a turd because of the new Focus RS do we?

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
What you don't seem to understand is the gap in time between these two trucks. 14.1 @ 93 was moving pretty good back then, but especially for a truck. It didn't have a big V8 with a supercharger bolted to the top, so it wasn't expected to be a 1/2 mile bruiser (I'm not saying the Lightning is either).

Bottom line: the Syclone was/is a QUICK truck and makes for a damn good stoplight beater. Per cheatsheet.com I believe: "The GMC Syclone has become somewhat of a legend. On one hand, it appears to be a small commuter pickup truck, with very little to offer in terms of performance. On the other, it was an absolute monster on the track, even keeping pace with Ferrari and Lamborghini models in its prime. Even Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear was thoroughly impressed with the Syclone when he took it for a spin way back in 1991. The Syclone’s 0-60 time is pegged somewhere between 4.6 and 5.3 seconds, a speed that has yet to be matched by any other trucks even resembling the Syclone to this day."

Edit: You'll get no argument from me that the Lightning is the best sports truck out there. And I'd take one, again, any day over a Syclone on practicability alone. But again, it's a truck from the early '90s. We don't say the GNX is a turd because of the new Focus RS do we?

Not disagreeing with you. And I'd like a regular GN, but damn they're pricey. And I'd like to pick up an SRT10RAM, but I think my wife would not be happy.

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
From the factory.

You could make this argument for the GM twins since PAS built them for GM. I've always like the turbo cars GM did back then (TA, Regal, GN and these). Cool trucks and I always do a double take when I see one.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
You could make this argument for the GM twins since PAS built them for GM. I've always like the turbo cars GM did back then (TA, Regal, GN and these). Cool trucks and I always do a double take when I see one.

I never see them anymore. Not even at carshows.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

hockeylover86

Established Member

The article says the Sy/Ty is still the quickest ever made, I'm not so sure about that if you compare them to a GC SRT8.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I love the Syclones. A buddy of mine has 2 of them and also had a Typhoon. I think stock for stock they are pretty equal as far as performance. It's hard to compare amenities on them simply because the Lightning is newer. I'd love both but if I could only choose 1, it'd be the Lightning again.

Dusten

Established Member

As far as being a truck, having AWD does nothing. That was my point.

Users who are viewing this thread