Lifes Lessons

02BlackL

Established Member
Well with my 02 L i have had nothing bad happen yet. Now on the other hand when i owned my 93 L i sorta jumped it through a fence...it was a bad deal. Lesson learned buy a $200 car for winter.

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
While detailing the lightning I forgot to fold my windshield wipers back down on the windshield and when I went to clean under the hood, well lets just say the hood folded them down for me.Two scratches on the back edge of the hood at least its in a hard to see area.lesson well learned.

+1 on this also.

I've also learned that the tailgate will cave in if you put something too heavy on it; stacking things in the garage that could fall on the truck is bad for the paint's finish and that spraying the sliding rear window just right with the water jet at the car wash will result in water getting in the cab.

I do WOT shifts all the time on a stock block with a 6lb lower, but I'm dyno tuned...

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
+1 on this also.

I've also learned that the tailgate will cave in if you put something too heavy on it; stacking things in the garage that could fall on the truck is bad for the paint's finish and that spraying the sliding rear window just right with the water jet at the car wash will result in water getting in the cab.

I do WOT shifts all the time on a stock block with a 6lb lower, but I'm dyno tuned...

Are the numbers in your signature up to date? Are you letting it shift into o/d at WOT?

s|ck

Established Member
Taking my old Harley truck to the club one night. Came out with a couple of girls, well one of them decides she wanted to **** one of my buddies inside my truck. I wasn't too happy about that! lol

03blklightning

INTERCEPTOR
Established Member
Me and two buddies went to pick up an old Soda Machine. One of those ones that has the four spots for different sodas. We are retrofitting it to use with beer. We decided to take my truck to pick it up because my buddies truck had stuff in the back for a cookoff we were participating (sp) in. I had to back my truck up to a concrete slab to load the machine. What my buddy didn't tell me was that he moved a railroad tie out of the way so I could back up. Well I backed right over the railroad tie. This wouldn't have been bad if my truck hadn't been lowered. I put a big scratch in the rocker panel under the passenger door, and I lost the piece of double sided sticky tape that holds on the little piece of panel on the bottom of the front fender. You can't really tell but I know its there.

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Are the numbers in your signature up to date? Are you letting it shift into o/d at WOT?

I guess saying "all of the time" is a little bit of an overstatement (there is a guy in an G-35 that is bound and determined to beat me and up top is the only place he has a chance), more like once or twice a month and the numbers aren’t exactly accurate. I almost never mess with the O/D button on the shifter so I assume that when I get above 130ish it is shifting into O/D :shrug:

Maybe I'm just lucky or I have a good tune. Now that I've said that I should probably start saving up for a new motor :bash:

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I won't say I do it all the time, but mine has shifted at wot 5or 10 times I'm sure. It also has a 6lb. on it and a ftvb. I've also had it dyno tuned twice and set the a/f on the safe side.

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
The only stupid I did was try to move the truck up in the garage with the door open and one leg out the door. My foot slipped off of the brake and i rolled into the wall!

Luckily there was barely anything behind the wall and all it damaged was the paint of the bumper and the lower grill.

01whiteL

Established Member
Was use to driving the f-250 and one night coming home in the L there was a big ass and I mean HUGE opossum in the road. I couldnt go around him with traffic coming in the oncoming lane so I just centered him thinking I'll go right over him...... forgetting I wasnt in the big truck.....forgetting I have more then a 3/4 drop on the truck...... forgetting how low my trans pan and exhaust hang......

Now I'll never forget the smell, or how long it took to clean all teh shit off the mufflers, trans pan, traction bars, and little things here and there. Along with I need to get on that bumper getting it painted now.....lol

Along with WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the day when I was younger and braver (more retarded...) with the truck stock/catback/intake making pulls WELL beyond 140mph. Hell we cruised one night for more then 5 minutes with it already pegged 140 until it just stopped pulling. That was before I knew anything about these trucks, or these websites, or how much it costs to fix one lol.

Last edited:

LSUstang05

Established Member
I've also had it dyno tuned twice and set the a/f on the safe side.

That's not the issue with shifting into OD. There are many issues, but a few of them are that there is an excessive amount of load on the engine with an excessive amount of boost in a very low gear. It puts A LOT of stress on the motor and usually the first thing to go are the rods in our trucks. Go read through the terminator forums. They have the same problems doing high speed runs but their problem is cooling in the #7 (I think) cylinder and the reason they do the head cooling mod. OD runs + boost + low gears = excessive load and excessive heat in the engine and almost always results in something horrible going wrong.

By far the stupidest thing I've done in any vehicle was on the highway. Two cars decided to pace each other so nobody could pass them. I decided I wasn't going to put up with it and passed on the shoulder. Went to pass, didn't see the tire in the shoulder, ran over the tire but still ended up passing them. When I got home I checked the car and luckily nothing was wrong with it. Last time I ever get impatient on the road and decide to pass on the shoulder...

Last edited:

castellscl

Established Member
Was in a hurry one morning running late for work, I was pulling out of my garage and decided to save a few extra milliseconds and hit the garage door opener once I was clear enough to make it out in time. Didn't make it.

Lesson 1 learned: A few milliseconds don't make a difference, and my L isn't as fast in reverse...

Lesson 2 learned: New house's garage door is much shorter than old house, and it has a drop off pulling out.
Scratch the hE!! out of my roof.

Lesson 3 learned: How to use a Porter Cable, spent what seemed like days polishing and buffing to get the scratch out that nobody under 6'2" can see anyways.

Lesson 4 learned: When "Trying" to do touch up paint, use very little, and don't keep thinking, "If I fan this out a little more it will blend better."
Just take it to a paint shop.

Last edited:

ecoastkid

Established Member
Go to unbolt the alternator cables without disconnecting the battery....did a little arc welding between my ratchet and the t-stat housing :D LOL!

I did this while removing the nut on the starter solinoid. tried to weld the ratchet to the intake...lol

I had a full metel rack of sockets on the plastic tray that covers the radiator. My brother in law was helping me and dragged his lazy hands back over and knocked it down....nice chip on the bumper...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...no toos up there anymore.

iTz JoHN

Established Member
was putting my tonneau cover on and one of the bars were sticking out and put a big scratch on the side of the truck.. I was pissed but I was getting ready to get the truck painted.. I was not planing to do that much paint work needless to say I had to have a big portion of the truck painted..

also never do burnouts in the rain on a little street.. nothing happened but almost hit a little tree...

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
Had just finished putting on my CAI and I was holding an open ended wrench well it slipped out of my hand dropped right down into the idler pulley, and got stuck in there. Couldn't get it to budge and it was at such an angle I couldn't get my hand in there to get it out. Ended up having to take the CAI right back off and with alittle help from a buddy finally got it out 3.5 hrs later. I believe I now hold the record for longest CAI install with a whopping 4 hrs, and I no longer let open ended wrenches around my truck when the hood is up.

and my latest...... Coming home one night (it had been raining 3 days straight and was still drizzling at the time) I take an on ramp to get me back home. Well I guess the mixture of rain, boost, and slick tires wasn't such a good combo. I end up fish tailing at the top of the ramp doing a Dukes of Hazard jump over a separator and end up facing the opposite direction in the other lanes. Now ive got some pretty ugly scratches on the bottom of my bumper. Now needless to say I go about 35 in the rain and 15 up on ramps.

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
I have had the L for a month and so far my lesson learned: Don't forget to close the fuse box lid after pulling the fuel pump fuse for a tune before you close the hood.

Last edited:

castellscl

Established Member
I have had the L for a month and so far my lesson learned: Don't forget to close the fuse box lid after pulling the fuel pump fuse for a tune before you close the hood.

From what I understand, the only purpose of removing the fuse is to not drain the battery, is that right?

mustanginky

Established Member
Lesson learned: never let your g/f drive your car. I had an ex who i let drive my car alot when i was driving her daily b/c we lived together, she liked the car, and her work was about 10 miles away and mine was about 25. She calls me at work, tells me "something is wrong with your car, i think it blew up" 2 cracked piston rings, her cheating on me (and using my car to do it btw) and about 1k later in new parts i learned the hardest lesson i've ever learned.

Users who are viewing this thread