LG puts a nail in the Plasma coffin..

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
My Panasonic plasma is still going strong but have thought about picking up a Samsung 60" 8500 before they are all gone as well.
Been looking at a LG 55" OLED as well but still a little too pricey.
Will never buy an LCD TV.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Very glad I picked up a VT60 65 inch last year. Dont understand why MFG's got rid of them. Hopefully my Sammy Plasma in my room doesnt go out any time soon, 6 years old and still looking great.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I'm going to cry when my Viera craps out. I need to buy another one before they're gone for good, I can't stand LED TVs.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I'm going to cry when my Viera craps out. I need to buy another one before they're gone for good, I can't stand LED TVs.
I'm pretty damn positive they dont make Viera's anymore. When I got my VT60, it was one of the few Panasonic Plasma screens left.

I agree on LED, will wait till OLED drop a bit more, now those are worth changing to.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
We bought my dad a 50" Pioneer plasma 10 years ago and it's still one of the best looking displays I've ever seen.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Yeah I am planning on buying a nice TV for my basement after the remodel. I hate LED tvs but will be interested in the OLEDs, they look nice.

GodStang

Established Member
Love our Samsung 58" and 64" Plasma. Hope they stay strong for time to come. Have a few LCD/LEDs and just prefer the Plasmas.

oldmodman

Established Member
Anyone local to Los Angeles? ;-)

I have two Panasonic Plasmas for sale right now. A 55" and a 65"

And I went to the local showing of the two new OLED 4K screens from LG

The 77 inch screen was simply amazing. But as was said, a little pricy. The 77 inch was $24,999.00

It was truly a "flat screen". It was thinner than a deck of cards. And the internal up-scaling to 4K actually looked better than the demo 4K they had stored in a DVR.

I hope that as the volume goes up the price will eventually come down and an OLED will be my next (and probably last) type of screen.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
4k is a waste at least right now. All it is, is 1080p upscaled. 90% of HD channels are 720p Native, not even 1080p. Gaming wont get there anytime soon either.

I do like how light and thin LED/OLED screens are. Also producing next to no heat.

ViciousJay

Established Member
4k is a waste at least right now. All it is, is 1080p upscaled. 90% of HD channels are 720p Native, not even 1080p. Gaming wont get there anytime soon either.

I do like how light and thin LED/OLED screens are. Also producing next to no heat.

but the plasma's rich colors and blacks are far superior to an LED, LCD. My Veria for movies blows my LCD out of the water but sports the LCD wins

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Panasonic plasma is still going strong but have thought about picking up a Samsung 60" 8500 before they are all gone as well.
Been looking at a LG 55" OLED as well but still a little too pricey.
Will never buy an LCD TV.
I have the Samsung 8500 and love it.

Yeah, sad that plasmas are dead. I don't like LCDs, either. The choices are whittled down now.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
but the plasma's rich colors and blacks are far superior to an LED, LCD. My Veria for movies blows my LCD out of the water but sports the LCD wins
Yes but not to an OLED. OLED has the colors, viewing angle and blacks from a Plasma while keeping the thin, light, energy saving no heat from an LED. Truly best of both worlds.

I honestly couldnt tell much of a difference in sports, both look great unless we are talking about 60hz TV.

Riptide

Established Member
Also disappointed plasmas are going away. Their early reputation I think, most if not all of which has been corrected, is part of the reason people avoid them to this day.

I have a 37" LCD that I use for my PC and I would love to find a 1080p plasma in that size range. Not happening though.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I'm pretty damn positive they dont make Viera's anymore. When I got my VT60, it was one of the few Panasonic Plasma screens left.

I agree on LED, will wait till OLED drop a bit more, now those are worth changing to.

I meant another plasma...

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Until they can get rid of clouding/light bleed on non plasma screens when it's in a dark room, I will stick with my Panasonic. I took back 3 50+ inch tvs in a week because the screen quality for blacks/bleeding sucked real bad. This was back in late 2012.

JasonSnake

Established Member
I absolutely hate the light bleed during dark scenes. Even the newest Smart TV's have this problem and couldn't be more disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread