LG and Samsung Front Load Washer/Dryer........Any good?

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I think its getting close to needing to upgrade our washer and dryer. My wife and I have always bought used off craigslist to get us by, but I think we're actually going to think about buying a new set.

We've been looking at the front load style. I was curious who all here as experience with either LG or Samsung brand washers and dryers? I know Samsung makes a hell of a TV, as we own 2 of them with zero issues. I just honestly haven't heard anything at all about either brand appliances.

If those of you who own them could shed some light, both pro's and con's on these 2 brands of washers and dryers, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have Whirlpool front loads. I like them a lot. Just bought them because they're not foreign.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I have Whirlpool front loads. I like them a lot. Just bought them because they're not foreign.

We have always had great luck with our other Whirlpool appliances. I guess I should just stick with what I've had luck with. I was just curious the reputation these others had, because occasionally there will be good deals on those brands.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
my wife and i love our Kenmore Elite set.. my parents had two sets of LG front load washer and gas dryer before switching to Kenmore Elite.. they actually have a white set that they dont use.. the washing machine leaks a little at the coin trap (just a gasket change) and the dryer wheels were just changed (the bearings wear out after 5+ years), i can get pictures if you were willing to make the drive. it does have the stacking kit.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Lowe's has 10% off Whirlpool or lg right now,

Edit: stay away from Maytag

Last edited by a moderator:

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
No issues to report with my Samsung front loader set that is a couple years old now. If you're new to the front loader world then do the research as there are unique SOP's when it comes to the washers especially, but nothing that should dissuade you.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
When it's time to replace our stuff, and it wont be long. Going to go with a new top load washer, those things hold huge amounts and use the same water as the front loaders. We have been looking at the Samsung stuff.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The house we bought last summer came with a front loading LG washer and dryer. Both of them work great, haven't had a problem for the 8-9 months we've used them.

I think the front loading washer is easier on clothes because it doesn't have the agitator. So if you guys have lots of delicate things, get a front loader.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Lowe's has 10% off Whirlpool or lg right now,

Edit: stay away from Maytag
Agreed. Bought my Maytag 2 years ago and I regret it. They dont wash for crap nor dry but…… "nothing is wrong with them". They were doing a good job a year ago, go figure….

Been eyeing an LG washer on special for under $600 that’s 4.3 cu. Its a top load washer though, is there any difference in front vs top load?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Other threads on here have people praising speed queen. I have never used one though.

I thought front load washers supposedly developed an odor or something? Is that true?

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Had LG direct drive washer for eight years now, worked flawlessly.

however make sure you get the stands and keep them drained on the regular

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We bought an Electrolux front load washer/dryer pair and thus far are very pleased. The washer is quiet, which is what we were looking for. Our Whirlpool washer served us fairly well, but we weren't thrilled with it. Maytag before that was horrible. I learned over the years that no brand is 100% perfect.

GodStang

Established Member
We have the Samsung front load and my Parents have the samsung front loaders. If you do not keep the bottom hose drained every six weeks it will leak. Not a pain but have to remember to drain it. They work ok they clean the cloths and dry them. I got deals when I bought ours.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Other threads on here have people praising speed queen. I have never used one though.

I thought front load washers supposedly developed an odor or something? Is that true?

Only if you don't let it air out to dry with the door open or leave wet clothes in it for over a day. Otherwise there's no smell. All it takes is a bleach load once in a while on sanitize and it's all clean, even if there was a smell.

I havr a Samsung front loader setup and I'm happy with it! Expensive but gentle on clothes and cleans them really really well.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Once the front load washer starts, you are SOL to add to any more clothes. They are a PITA.

IMO front load washers cause more wear with their additional "wet clothes" tumbling action.

Top load washer FTW.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
My sister has LG front load and dryer, loves both but insists that you have to have the stands. Wife wants front loads when ours quit, but they just keep humming along.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
my wife and i love our Kenmore Elite set.. my parents had two sets of LG front load washer and gas dryer before switching to Kenmore Elite.. they actually have a white set that they dont use.. the washing machine leaks a little at the coin trap (just a gasket change) and the dryer wheels were just changed (the bearings wear out after 5+ years), i can get pictures if you were willing to make the drive. it does have the stacking kit.

This is what I have, works just fine.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
We have the Samsung front load and my Parents have the samsung front loaders. If you do not keep the bottom hose drained every six weeks it will leak. Not a pain but have to remember to drain it. They work ok they clean the cloths and dry them. I got deals when I bought ours.

I had a Samsung set too that I couldn't pass up. They were on sale (at Lowe's IIRC) for $900 for the set, normally $900 each. I did have a problem with the computer board on one of them but it was replaced under warranty. Other than that I just did the regular upkeep on them and they were fine.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
When it's time to replace our stuff, and it wont be long. Going to go with a new top load washer, those things hold huge amounts and use the same water as the front loaders. We have been looking at the Samsung stuff.

Another great thing about a top load is that they dont smell at all. My front load washer had a funk every few months that would require cycling the whole thing with vinegar or cleaning solution. I tried everything from leaving the door open after washes to getting it serviced every 3 months but it still did it. I finally gave in a convinced my wife to allow me to get a new top load washer. We have had it now going on 2 years with zero issues, smells. The only gripe is that it uses a bit more water compared to the front load. Either way its much better in the long run to save on those stupid cleaning solutions.

Cliffs:
Buy top load. Doesnt smell.

Users who are viewing this thread