Level VI 1000HP "T56 Magnum" from RPM Transmissions

SlowSVT

Established Member
Keep in mind it's almost always the driver who breaks a tranny not the other way around.

The stock T-56 is pretty tough right out of the box. Swap out the 10 spline input shaft and anything short of outright abuse, power shifting or poor shifting chances are you won't break it. One guy posted pics of a snapped output shaft on his T-56 after 400 9 sec passes which is pretty stout in my book. It's only short comings is the notchy shifting action :cuss: caused by the crappy steel shift forks and syncro's all which can be upgraded.

The Magnum is a bargain cost wise but once you factor in the shortened drive shaft it gets more expensive and may not buy you much over the cost of an upgraded T-56.

Funny how spoiled we have become and are asking about a tranny that will hold together with 1000 hp on tap. Try doing that with a Muncie :nonono:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Keep in mind it's almost always the driver who breaks a tranny not the other way around.

The stock T-56 is pretty tough right out of the box. Swap out the 10 spline input shaft and anything short of outright abuse, power shifting or poor shifting chances are you won't break it. One guy posted pics of a snapped output shaft on his T-56 after 400 9 sec passes which is pretty stout in my book. It's only short comings is the notchy shifting action :cuss: caused by the crappy steel shift forks and syncro's all which can be upgraded.

The Magnum is a bargain cost wise but once you factor in the shortened drive shaft it gets more expensive and may not buy you much over the cost of an upgraded T-56.

Funny how spoiled we have become and are asking about a tranny that will hold together with 1000 hp on tap. Try doing that with a Muncie :nonono:

You can definitely destroy a t56 with enough hp and top speed runs. Nothing to do with the driver or blatant abuse. You will literally heat the gears up so much the teeth with start to disintegrate.

It will almost always be on the input cluster and look like this...
meltedinput.jpg

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
You can definitely destroy a t56 with enough hp and top speed runs. Nothing to do with the driver or blatant abuse. You will literally heat the gears up so much the teeth with start to disintegrate.

It will almost always be on the input cluster and look like this...
meltedinput.jpg

Are you suggesting most transmission failures in this car are attributed to the design and capacity of the T-56 and not the driver?

snakeraper11b

Established Member

You can definitely destroy a t56 with enough hp and top speed runs.

Are you suggesting most transmission failures in this car are attributed to the design and capacity of the T-56 and not the driver?

Not sure how you gathered that I think most T56 failures are from the design when I said, "You can definitely destroy a t56 with enough hp and top speed runs".:??:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Not sure how you gathered that I think most T56 failures are from the design when I said, "You can definitely destroy a t56 with enough hp and top speed runs".:??:

I was just making a general statement to the OP on what is the most common failure mode on the T-56 and not to worry because it's a pretty stout unit considering the amount of power they can hold. Your response made it sound like this was not the case when you stated this: "Nothing to do with the driver or blatant abuse" :dw: I'm not sure if this was just something you wrote that didn't come across correctly but I can assure you abuse and improper shifting are the absolute #1 cause of gear box failure and twice on Sundays.

I've read a lot of posts from guys who were having tranny problems and were gussing the T-56 trying to find out what was wrong :cuss: What they usually neglected to divulge until pressed is they drag race the car (suddenly the picture become much clearer) and I've seen the brutality some guys put their gear box thru thinking it's luv'N-it until something snaps :uh oh: Pay to play :burnout:

Something tells me in your case was more from distorting the transmission case under extreme load upsetting the shaft alignment and not heat as you stated (that would come next). Considering the tranny is rated at "only" 400 ft lbs which is limited by the 10 spine input shaft with a root dia being the same size as the pilot bearing. Installing the 26 spline raises the torque capacity considerably which I think is close to 700. Many guys have exceed that with an upgraded T-56 and lived to tell about it. I guess you weren't as luck.

Don't power shift, don't speed shift, try to avoid shock loads thru the drive train, don't force the stick into gear and buy a 26 spline input shaft. Do this even at elevate power loads his T-56 will live a long and happy life :)

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
I was just making a general statement to the OP on what is the most common failure mode on the T-56 and not to worry because it's a pretty stout unit considering the amount of power they can hold. Your response made it sound like this was not the case when you stated this: "Nothing to do with the driver or blatant abuse" :dw: I'm not sure if this was just something you wrote that didn't come across correctly but I can assure you abuse and improper shifting are the absolute #1 cause of gear box failure and twice on Sundays.

I've read a lot of posts from guys who were having tranny problems and were gussing the T-56 trying to find out what was wrong :cuss: What they usually neglected to divulge until pressed is they drag race the car (suddenly the picture become much clearer) and I've seen the brutality some guys put their gear box thru thinking it's luv'N-it until something snaps :uh oh: Pay to play :burnout:

Something tells me in your case was more from distorting the transmission case under extreme load upsetting the shaft alignment and not heat as you stated (that would come next). Considering the tranny is rated at "only" 400 ft lbs which is limited by the 10 spine input shaft with a root dia being the same size as the pilot bearing. Installing the 26 spline raises the torque capacity considerably which I think is close to 700. Many guys have exceed that with an upgraded T-56 and lived to tell about it. I guess you weren't as luck.

Don't power shift, don't speed shift, try to avoid shock loads thru the drive train, don't force the stick into gear and buy a 26 spline input shaft. Do this even at elevate power loads his T-56 will live a long and happy life :)

WOOPS sorry guys, didn't mean to dig one up from the grave!! Apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread