Level VI 1000HP "T56 Magnum" from RPM Transmissions

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Does anyone have this transmission installed in their Cobra?

I am about to pull the trigger on the Level VI RPM "Magnum" and want to see if anyone has one of these. I contacted RPM Transmissions and they tell me the transmission is actually a TR-6060 gear set :??: which makes it able to handle 1000+ hp/tq, has T56 gear ratio, and bell housing to fit the Terminators. it is not cryoed just has larger gears... i guess. Also, they tell me they cannot make a T-56 hold more than 700-750 reliably. The gear set itself is just too small.

Any thoughts?

T56 Magnum - TR-6060 capable of 1000hp

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would go with D&D.. That's who I went through and they are a great company..

Yea I blew that son of a bitch up lol!! No regrets at all with my Magnum, hands down the best transmission I've ever had the pleasure of shifting.. You won't regret it that's for sure :)

DE07GT

Established Member
I have a Level V from them, which is still a T56. There was no Level VI when I got mine, so I doubt they've been making it very long. I didn't see any mention of it, but shouldn't you still need a new slip yoke to make it work? Pretty sure the stock output shaft is 27 spline, so the stock slip yoke wouldn't work with a 31 spline output shaft.

I'm also pretty sure a regular T56 Magnum won't bolt right into a Cobra. I think you have to replace the driveshaft and it has a different length input shaft than a T56. Can't remember for sure though.

DE07GT

Established Member
all you need a a driveshaft for it to bolt into a Cobra..

When I replaced mine the cost of a T56 Magnum and a driveshaft was too much compared to what I got. Apparently, the price of a Level V has gone way up since then, and the price of a T56 Magnum hasn't haha

DE07GT

Established Member
Stock U-Joints on 03-04s are 1350s and pretty strong. I've had my rear lock up going down the road with drag radials on the back. Thought the U-joints would be shot.. they were completely fine.

speedfreak94

Established Member
Once again I'm inclined to agree with 98SaleenCobra; the Magnum is a great trans as is. I've owned/driven several different manuals; the Magnum is without a doubt my favorite by a pretty big margin.

Regarding RPM's Level whatever "upgrade", I'd love to know what they're doing that makes them think it constitutes raising the torque capacity by 300 lb-ft, and how exactly they qualify that figure. I've heard plenty of good about these guys before, but this sounds like a lot of marketing fluff to me. Torque capacity is a loaded figure at best, and there's more to consider than just torque ratings anyways.

On that note, TermiN8er, if you'd like to share a some specifics about what your car is (specs) and what you plan to do with it, I'll be happy to give you some further free advice. I spend a lot of time around these transmissions.

speedfreak94

Established Member
Okay, sorry gang, I should have done a little more research prior to that last post. TermiN8er, I see you've got a lot of specs in your signature (impressive BTW). Still my opinion of this Level 6 upgrade remains largely the same. The fork pads, if done right, are not a bad upgrade. Neither is the REM treatment of the gears. And if you want to retain the stock gearing, than the 5th/6th gear swap is a must (box-stock Magnums are 2.97 with .74/.50 or 2.66 with .80/.63). Still, my opinion of the torque capacity remains the same. 1,000 tq/hp? Sorry, I'm not seeing it.

Additionally, the modular version of the Magnum is already essentially a direct swap for an 03-04 Cobra, sans for the shortened driveshaft. Based on what I saw on Lethal's site, I can see where RPM would have a fair amount of time and effort into one of these builds, but not where the product supercedes a Magnum to the tune of an extra $2,200.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Once again I'm inclined to agree with 98SaleenCobra; the Magnum is a great trans as is. I've owned/driven several different manuals; the Magnum is without a doubt my favorite by a pretty big margin.

Regarding RPM's Level whatever "upgrade", I'd love to know what they're doing that makes them think it constitutes raising the torque capacity by 300 lb-ft, and how exactly they qualify that figure. I've heard plenty of good about these guys before, but this sounds like a lot of marketing fluff to me. Torque capacity is a loaded figure at best, and there's more to consider than just torque ratings anyways.

On that note, TermiN8er, if you'd like to share a some specifics about what your car is (specs) and what you plan to do with it, I'll be happy to give you some further free advice. I spend a lot of time around these transmissions.

Pretty sure it has something to do with machine the main shaft and gears out of 9310 alloy or something crazy like that. The price is warranted. Will you ever need it? 99.9999% no

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
I had an RPM Level V T-56 (non-Magnum) and that thing was bullet proof. It was smooth as butter and never skipped a beat. I was only making 800rwhp though. It was connected to the motor with a SPEC Super Twin P-Trim Clutch.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
I would waist my money on that trans. I had a stock T56 with a 26 spline input shaft and it handled 750rwhp all day long and I beat the hell out of it. A budy of mine down here in the Dallas FTworth area builds T56's and he can build them to live at 1000+rwhp. He puts larger output shafts in them. Gear sets etc. Look up Texas Drivetrain Performance and talk to Jason.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I would waist my money on that trans. I had a stock T56 with a 26 spline input shaft and it handled 750rwhp all day long and I beat the hell out of it. A budy of mine down here in the Dallas FTworth area builds T56's and he can build them to live at 1000+rwhp. He puts larger output shafts in them. Gear sets etc. Look up Texas Drivetrain Performance and talk to Jason.

Jason was the mastermind behind my Hybrid 32 spline main shaft T56 beast I so highly regard haha.

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Excellent info guys!! I agree that the the Level VI didn't pass the sniff test. Which is why I asked. As for the Trans, I will save the money up and get the Magnum. I will definitely look up Jason. I did an excel spread sheet to calculate my speeds at different RPM's for the 2.97/.50 or stock gearing and I think I will stick to the stock gears. My power level can handle the steeper gears. My entire car build is because of this site, so the advice is definitely welcomed!

:beer: Cheers!

Update: just looked at Texas Drivetrain Performance.... First impressions are, Awesome~! I like options and his up front pricing. I will give him a call tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread