Level 5's ABS sensor

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Alright does anyone's Level 5's look like this before there is weight put on the car. They are clearly in to far by hitting the ABS sensor. I'm thinking they will come back out when there is weight on the car. If you have any info I would greatly appreciate it. Just look at the sensor/tone ring where it's hitting the sensor. If I drove the car like where the axles are located now in the air it would rip the sensor right off.

axle.jpg

axle2.jpg

axle3.jpg

axle1.jpg

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.:beer:

GodStang

Established Member
You know there are two ways the sprocket goes on. At least mine did. Mine were concaved and if you put it on one way it would do what yours did. If you put it on the other way you were fine. From the pics near the bottom it looks seated all the way. Another thing to think about is when it is mounted to the spindle it may be pulled out some enough to clear it. Mine are damn close but I have driven for almost a week and no problems.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Godstang did you push your axles all the way in until they bottomed out? Then if you did, did they hit the ABS sensor?

GodStang

Established Member
Yes we did. We sat the gear on the floor and measure and realized one side is closer to the floor. So its in the shape of a dome but very very slightly. We kept yanking it out because we were like damn this is way too close to the sensor. In the end we just left it as is and installed the spindle and tightened everything down and it pulled it out enough that it was not a problem. Its damn close though.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
You don't want to hear mine! ;-):poke::p

However, I would like to hear yours since I'll be installing my Level 5 halfshafts at the same time your IRS bushing kit is being installed. Is there an issue with the installation that I need to be aware of??? :shrug:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
No ac427cobra is just not a believer in them. It's all good though.:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
However, I would like to hear yours since I'll be installing my Level 5 halfshafts at the same time your IRS bushing kit is being installed. Is there an issue with the installation that I need to be aware of??? :shrug:

I've said this before, it's in the FAQ in the link in my sig, and I'll say it again. 95% of the people buying and installing L5's don't need them. The OEM ('03 and up style) halfshaft is sufficient for almost everyone's use.

Power is NOT what kills halfshafts. The flopping of the IRS assembly in rubber mounts is what kills them! :idea:

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

GodStang

Established Member
I've said this before, it's in the FAQ in the link in my sig, and I'll say it again. 95% of the people buying and installing L5's don't need them. The OEM ('03 and up style) halfshaft is sufficient for almost everyone's use.

Power is NOT what kills halfshafts. The flopping of the IRS assembly in rubber mounts is what kills them! :idea:

FWIW

Not always true. SVT99rag had ~380rwhp/380rwtq and snapped his halfshaft with ZERO wheel hop. It was the cars second pass ever. It hooked and snapped. I just think some people have more luck then others. We have video of it and have gone back and watched and there was no wheel hop.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Not always true. SVT99rag had ~380rwhp/380rwtq and snapped his halfshaft with ZERO wheel hop. It was the cars second pass ever. It hooked and snapped. I just think some people have more luck then others. We have video of it and have gone back and watched and there was no wheel hop.

You don't have to have wheel hop for the differential to twist out of shape in those shitty OEM rubber mounts! :read::idea:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
True true. I just hope to make 1 pass down the track.

Oh, one slight detail I may have missed is if "SVT99rag" has the OEM 1999 version of the 28 spline halfshaft, he'd do well to upgrade to a 31 spline diff and '03 style halfshafts with that kind of power throwing down hole shots.

FWIW

GodStang

Established Member
Oh, one slight detail I may have missed is if "SVT99rag" has the OEM 1999 version of the 28 spline halfshaft, he'd do well to upgrade to a 31 spline diff and '03 style halfshafts with that kind of power throwing down hole shots.

FWIW

He has a 2003 Anniversary Coupe. He has not changed his screen name.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
We lowered the car down and rolled it and nothing was hitting. DSS told us to check a dimension and from what they had it was correct. We'll see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread