level 5 irs or solid?? ISSUES with level 5's?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Well I have the newest Level 5's and unfortunately love them lol. Had some issues with the ABS but they got replaced with the correct ones.

If I did it over again I'd do what Senkak and IronTerp do. Just make sure you have enough side wall and if I snapped 5 in a row or something then I would upgrade.

If I never have a problem with my Level 5's that's why I bought them though.

Digital

Established Member
1700 for a set of lvl 5s with the cv joints that you might break or you could trade your irs and some money for a built to the dick solid 8.8 that will most likely never break and if so 31 spline mosers are like 100-150 a piece.. big whoop... Plus you dont have to worry about the backspacing and rim size crap blah blah.

Just go for a ride in a gt or mach 1 with a built rear end, shocks, springs, bars, everything. That's exactly what your ride will feel like. It's not as bad as everyone says.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Solid... less parts, stronger setup, lighter. I think the irs might hookup a bit better on street w drag radials but who knows. Def irs does not on the track. Ppl might hate me for that opinion but i've talked to 10 or so cobra owners/racers w fox race stangs that's what they say. I believe them. I have old level 5's w stock tripod, never broke them yet.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Some of us the reason for loving our cars is the IRS so that plays a big role on modding it so we can keep it. Or just replacing a broken halfshaft when they fail. Me right now I have no urge what so ever to have a solid in my car. If I wanted that I'd put a Terminator engine in a Fox for the way I feel now.

I have all the bushing upgrades pretty much and compared to a solid axle car the car still drives like a Cadillac. Maybe I'm wrong but I've had Fox body cars and I'm tired of the rear end jumping on, on-ramps, and bumps in general. Got pretty old over the years.

Spade

Established Member
I did not realize so many people were having problems with the level 5s. Good to know. I've always said I would go level 5s with a full bushing kit or a built solid when my stocker went out but after reading this I don't know. I might just go with the stockers and full bushings.

1700 for a set of lvl 5s with the cv joints that you might break or you could trade your irs and some money for a built to the dick solid 8.8 that will most likely never break and if so 31 spline mosers are like 100-150 a piece.. big whoop... Plus you dont have to worry about the backspacing and rim size crap blah blah.

Just go for a ride in a gt or mach 1 with a built rear end, shocks, springs, bars, everything. That's exactly what your ride will feel like. It's not as bad as everyone says.

What would that setup cost?

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Not to jack the thread, and im sure its been asked. What was SVT's reasoning behind IRS? Why not a solid?

whats ford's reasoning for sticking with live axle?

its archaic and old. Ford is the only one still using them on rwd cars, every other company has moved on. i guess though its to keep the cost/msrp of the final product down?

Ford's IRS is decent, however if it got into a full run production car and got the R&D it needed, it could be awesome. however with what we have, its still way better than stick axle imo.

SVT kept the IRS because the car is more geared towards turning than going in a straight line from a dig. IMO using a 03/04 for drag only is a waste.

as for the halfshaft issue, its been proven time and again DR's kill halfshafts. Slap on some slicks and have at it with the stockers. Slicks wrap and soak up the shock of the launch, whereas a DR will transmit that shock to the next piece, which is the toothpick thats trasmitting that power.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I broke an axle. Get level 5's and loved them. The the differential cover cracked and i had a brace on it. Now i love my sra, new found weight loss (i could use some to) and 3.73's. Prepped right it will handle and ride as good an irs. but with stock gt solid parts it will make you have it. Ive been there.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
i have the upgrade level 5 design and i have no problems. The irs loves slicks. I can consistanly cut very low 1.5x 60' and everything is fine. I think with some suspension mods i could get a 1.4 60' with irs. i dont think theres a need for the horrible ride of a solid yet if the car is proven to perform the way it is.

Jroc

Established Member
You don't need to replace the factory halfshafts if you want to keep the IRS, you need to stop it from hopping. I know someone how has broken 5 level 5's with a stock/lowered IRS on DR's. Delrin bushings are your friend if you stay with the IRS.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member

A built solid can dip well into the several thousand dollar region very easily. I've spent a good bit of time at the track with Cobra guys, I've seen more cars with solid swaps leave the track on a flatbed than the guys with stock IRS. I've had a built solid in my old GT along with riding in Cobras with built solids, it's not a bad ride but definetly not as smooth riding as my IRS.

I am still on stock half shafts after 4 years of racing.
This is with poly bushings and BF brace.
Launching on spray with ET Street bias ply netted my a PB yesterday of 10.62@132.
If I break one I'll just buy a used one for $100.
I can buy a bunch of stockers for the cost of a set Level 5s which may and likey will have problems.

+151651! Over three years here and close to 200 track passes still on 100% stock IRS, with zero brace too. If I ever have a problem with the halfshafts I'll just pick up another stocker.

Solid... less parts, stronger setup, lighter. I think the irs might hookup a bit better on street w drag radials but who knows. Def irs does not on the track. Ppl might hate me for that opinion but i've talked to 10 or so cobra owners/racers w fox race stangs that's what they say. I believe them. I have old level 5's w stock tripod, never broke them yet.

The solid is lighter, but the IRS hooks up just as well if not better at the track. I cut consistant 1.5 60's with my stock IRS, stock suspension Cobra with 26x10.5 ET Streets. I'm looking forward to how this car will 60' on some 28x11.5 full slicks next season.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
This is the best discussion on rear ends I've seen in a while on here. Some great responses!

I have MMS rear end & IRS bushings and drag radials and it still wheel hops...???
I believe it... are you on Nittos? They are a bit stiffer than the others. The next thing to try is airbags to get rid of the hop.

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
I've broken two halfshafts at the track due to drag radials and driver error, but always carry a spare and just changed it out and drove on home. All you need in the spare, a 36mm deep socket and basic tools. Takes about 65-70 minutes the first time and 45 minutes thereafter. Unless you have loads of cash sitting around, I'd do as Rick recommended and just buy a spare this winter and make sure you get a nice set of slicks to go along with it!

Not that I want to do this but I have yet to see a write up on replacing a half shaft. I wouldnt mind getting some more info on a How To, especially on the fly. Pm me if you have a run down. I like to save good info to my computer for later reference.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Not that I want to do this but I have yet to see a write up on replacing a half shaft. I wouldnt mind getting some more info on a How To, especially on the fly. Pm me if you have a run down. I like to save good info to my computer for later reference.
Not a bad idea. I originally used Joe Lynch's instructions, but since have had some buddies show me some alternative ways. Here's Joe's:

http://www.joelynch.org/cobrasite/Joe/lxnet/pumpkin.htm

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread