level 5 irs or solid?? ISSUES with level 5's?

zrx

Established Member
I have a KB Termy and want to upgrade my stock irs to either level 5 half shafts (bushings, brace etc) or a solid swap.

Any issues with the level 5's??? Is it worth losing the handling of the IRS??

yellowgt02

Established Member
From some knowledge Ive gained on this site...Level 5's are not worth it.

Just run a soft sidewall tire for the track to absorb the shock of the driveline.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Plus if your still hopping all over, those level 5's will be even more worthless.

torchanniv03

Established Member
i have level 5's on mine, and i have no probs! the only thing that i dont like is the fact that i have no ABS! the stock rings wont fit bein the axle is bigger in diameter!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Many like their DSS shafts but there are more than a few that have had some big issues, not to mention the expense. If you're planning on dragging the car often then a built solid may be the easiest solution but if you just want to hook better and lose the hop DRs are a great solution as the others have said. If you want to upgrade the IRS do a bushing kit like this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260665

Personally I would pass on the level 5s, don't hop and you likely won't break anything.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
i have the level 5's, i still have ABS also. They were a great mod to do, the only thing i recommend is that your break the burr that is on the edge of the spacer that sits against the bearing of the spindle otherwise you will ruin the bearing. The reason i would switch out to a solid axle would be to lose another 150lbs, that would be nice, but the IRS rides so nice, and does great at the track on slicks when setup properly like i have.

torchanniv03

Established Member
i have the DSS level 5's, which ones do you have? i would really like to have my ABS back, but not sure how? i thought about honing out the stock ones to fit, but i think it would have to be too precise to get them to where they perfectly press on :shrug:

zrx

Established Member
Many like their DSS shafts but there are more than a few that have had some big issues, not to mention the expense. If you're planning on dragging the car often then a built solid may be the easiest solution but if you just want to hook better and lose the hop DRs are a great solution as the others have said. If you want to upgrade the IRS do a bushing kit like this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260665

Personally I would pass on the level 5s, don't hop and you likely won't break anything.

I have MMS rear end & IRS bushings and drag radials and it still wheel hops...???

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
DSS halfshafts seem to have more problems than the stockers from what i've read. The company just didn't do enough R&D before releasing their product IMHO.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I am still on stock half shafts after 4 years of racing.
This is with poly bushings and BF brace.
Launching on spray with ET Street bias ply netted my a PB yesterday of 10.62@132.
If I break one I'll just buy a used one for $100.
I can buy a bunch of stockers for the cost of a set Level 5s which may and likey will have problems.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I am still on stock half shafts after 4 years of racing.
This is with poly bushings and BF brace.
Launching on spray with ET Street bias ply netted my a PB yesterday of 10.62@132.
If I break one I'll just buy a used one for $100.
I can buy a bunch of stockers for the cost of a set Level 5s which may and likey will have problems.
This is pretty much my situation as well. The cost of the level 5's would of gotten me divorced and I've just seen too many of my buddies break them at the track. Tommy Goddfrey broke 5 of them before he sold his 03'. DSS is generally pretty good about replacing them though.

Insofar as the solid rear is concerned, I just haven't seen the need. When set up correctly, the IRS is certainly comparable with the exception of weight reduction. And the steadily growing push away from drag radials and towards slicks has been a huge deterent to IRS breakage at the track.

I've broken two halfshafts at the track due to drag radials and driver error, but always carry a spare and just changed it out and drove on home. All you need in the spare, a 36mm deep socket and basic tools. Takes about 65-70 minutes the first time and 45 minutes thereafter. Unless you have loads of cash sitting around, I'd do as Rick recommended and just buy a spare this winter and make sure you get a nice set of slicks to go along with it!

jliddle

Established Member
Not to jack the thread, and im sure its been asked. What was SVT's reasoning behind IRS? Why not a solid?

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
Stay with the irs and stock half shafts... the level 5's have been breaking and if for some reason dss don't feel like they have to warranty them then that is a prettt big bill. However if you snap a stock one atleast you know you could pick up a set for about 1/4 the cost of a level 5 set.

GodStang

Established Member
i have level 5's on mine, and i have no probs! the only thing that i dont like is the fact that i have no ABS! the stock rings wont fit bein the axle is bigger in diameter!

You have the wrong ones. Many people got the wrong ones for a few months there and it destroyed many ABS sensors. Call Frank up and tell him you got the wrong ones and he will send you new ones. Tell them they hit the ABS.

Within 100 miles of owning DSS Chromoloy Level 5s I was on my third set. First set broke 30 miles in and then the new ones were like you and the wrong ones and then the third set had the Porche inners and they fit fine. Had one launch on ET streets at 4500-5500 rpms and they held fine.

Users who are viewing this thread