Let's see those REAL dogs...

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wife decided it was time to find our Sophie a playmate after the loss of our Bailey. Not what I would have gotten but it's her dog. Dog is so small she could fit in your hand damn near. We almost got scammed on one pup but red flags started jumping out at me. After some research...scam. So we decided to pick one up and found one a 100 miles from home. So far our other dog which is 3.5 years old is doing ok with her. Very curious..wants to play. We are torn between Coco and Marley...I like Marley. She wouldn't let me name her RAT. Wish we could have a larger dog but they really mess her up. She grew up with a Yellow Lab and she was constantly at the Doc's she said. This is a Chihuahua by the way.....
Marley.jpg

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
So here is Sophie. 7 months old now and a crazy little nut job. She's a good pup except for one thing, she keeps shitting in the house. We've tried several approaches. Nothing seems to work. Twice today, in spite of being taken outside several times. Anyone have any suggestions? I've never had this much trouble house training a dog!

You can see by the look on her face that she has just been disciplined.
88eeb3df3890dadb3e6be74a52adcd85.jpg

LS WUT

Established Member
So here is Sophie. 7 months old now and a crazy little nut job. She's a good pup except for one thing, she keeps shitting in the house. We've tried several approaches. Nothing seems to work. Twice today, in spite of being taken outside several times. Anyone have any suggestions? I've never had this much trouble house training a dog!

We had a puppy like that ages ago. They said it was anxiety related. She was a shelter dog. Are you gone for long periods of time?

ajaf1656

Established Member

That's pretty old to be crapping in the house. I've always just used praise as a reward for potty training. Until they learn, I go outside with them and when they poop I act like they did the greatest thing ever and tell them what a good dog they are. I also always have them tell me they need to go outside even if I'm taking them out. With my boxers, I'd make them sit by the door and bark. My parents got a little wireless doggy doorbell that their Golden Retriever uses. He figured it out so fast I thought my mom was ringing it as a joke. It was funny to see this baby puppy ringing his doorbell. I've also always trained them to poop in a designated area, not all over the yard. Stern but not abusive discipline when they did have an accident.
I'm not sure if there's anything there you haven't already tried.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
That's pretty old to be crapping in the house. I've always just used praise as a reward for potty training. Until they learn, I go outside with them and when they poop I act like they did the greatest thing ever and tell them what a good dog they are. I also always have them tell me they need to go outside even if I'm taking them out. With my boxers, I'd make them sit by the door and bark. My parents got a little wireless doggy doorbell that their Golden Retriever uses. He figured it out so fast I thought my mom was ringing it as a joke. It was funny to see this baby puppy ringing his doorbell. I've also always trained them to poop in a designated area, not all over the yard. Stern but not abusive discipline when they did have an accident.
I'm not sure if there's anything there you haven't already tried.
Yup, have done all of the above. We have a bell hanging on the front door that the older dog uses, but Sophie is just not getting the hang of it. I take them to the door, press their nose or paw on the bell, and then let them out. All our other dogs were trained this way and it worked quite well and fast. Not sure why she's not getting it.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
We had a puppy like that ages ago. They said it was anxiety related. She was a shelter dog. Are you gone for long periods of time?
A few hours at a time, sometimes 4 or 5. They are crate trained, so they just lay there until we're home, then they immediately go outside. Most of the time, someone is at home with them.
This morning, I let them out. Sophie pooped and came in. An hour later, she's left a present in the closet.

Users who are viewing this thread