Let's see those Latest Purchases!

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Got my Christmas/Birthday/Father’s Day present today.

EEC7D90E-FB5D-4AFF-BA57-C268EAAFADB6.jpeg

1DFF5BE0-79D6-459C-9D2B-C099C758AC36.jpeg

0D794B64-B71A-4609-9C1A-6347273422E4.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What do you expect the total tab to be? $6K for just the excavation stings! I never ever gave any thoughts to what is involved with plumbing issues on a slab foundation. So the plumbing run UNDER the slab? I'm only familiar with basement foundations up here where the plumbing is in the basement for the most part.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
That makes me itch just thinking about paying for someone to move dirt so you can still have to fix the plumbing.

Hopefully insurance can help with the pain.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
What do you expect the total tab to be? $6K for just the excavation stings! I never ever gave any thoughts to what is involved with plumbing issues on a slab foundation. So the plumbing run UNDER the slab? I'm only familiar with basement foundations up here where the plumbing is in the basement for the most part.
The first quote was for $6k to excavate an 8' tunnel from the outside of the house to the leak location (more on that in a second) and fix the leak then fill it all back in, so the whole job basically. It was $350 for the first two hours to "locate" the leak without destruction to any part of the house. Based on their tests it seems the leak was directly under the guest bathroom sink about 6-8' inside the exterior wall, even though the water was coming up at the very front corner of the house (bottom right of the pic) about 15' away from the tunnel entrance.

The plumbing runs under the slab but through the piers/spines that go down deeper under the slab. There is a protective "conduit" that the plumbing runs through when going through the spines. The problem with their testing was that they had to pressurize the system with compressed air and then blow it into the plumbing so we could hear where it was leaking. It sounded like the air was coming directly under the bathroom but in reality it was back-filling the conduit and coming out there and it seems the leak is actually closer to the front of the house (like I thought and had told them) so they are now going to have to dig another 7-10' today to get to the actual leak and repair it.

When they first "found" the leak, they provided 3 options to repair it. First was cut a 3'x3' hole in my foundation in the bathroom (so pull out the cabinets, cut up the tile, and go in right there) which would have left plenty of destruction inside the house and they would only repair to the point of the slab but not the bathroom, for $5k. Or they could re-route the plumbing going up one wall over the ceiling and down another wall for like $3500 but it doesn't cover slab/drywall repairs or anything like that on the inside. Or $6k to dig the tunnel from outside the house which made the most sense to me. And thank God I chose that as the hole in the foundation would have been in the wrong place anyway!

Did your homeowner’s insurance cover it?
That makes me itch just thinking about paying for someone to move dirt so you can still have to fix the plumbing.

Hopefully insurance can help with the pain.

My insurance might cover it if I make a claim but was told my deductible for it would be over $4500 and would then cause my renewals to increase even more for the next 5 years... I already know that I have to switch my home and auto provider in May as that's renewal time and they sent a letter that they will not renew my policy as they will no longer do home/auto in TX so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
The first quote was for $6k to excavate an 8' tunnel from the outside of the house to the leak location (more on that in a second) and fix the leak then fill it all back in, so the whole job basically. It was $350 for the first two hours to "locate" the leak without destruction to any part of the house. Based on their tests it seems the leak was directly under the guest bathroom sink about 6-8' inside the exterior wall, even though the water was coming up at the very front corner of the house (bottom right of the pic) about 15' away from the tunnel entrance.

The plumbing runs under the slab but through the piers/spines that go down deeper under the slab. There is a protective "conduit" that the plumbing runs through when going through the spines. The problem with their testing was that they had to pressurize the system with compressed air and then blow it into the plumbing so we could hear where it was leaking. It sounded like the air was coming directly under the bathroom but in reality it was back-filling the conduit and coming out there and it seems the leak is actually closer to the front of the house (like I thought and had told them) so they are now going to have to dig another 7-10' today to get to the actual leak and repair it.

When they first "found" the leak, they provided 3 options to repair it. First was cut a 3'x3' hole in my foundation in the bathroom (so pull out the cabinets, cut up the tile, and go in right there) which would have left plenty of destruction inside the house and they would only repair to the point of the slab but not the bathroom, for $5k. Or they could re-route the plumbing going up one wall over the ceiling and down another wall for like $3500 but it doesn't cover slab/drywall repairs or anything like that on the inside. Or $6k to dig the tunnel from outside the house which made the most sense to me. And thank God I chose that as the hole in the foundation would have been in the wrong place anyway!

My insurance might cover it if I make a claim but was told my deductible for it would be over $4500 and would then cause my renewals to increase even more for the next 5 years... I already know that I have to switch my home and auto provider in May as that's renewal time and they sent a letter that they will not renew my policy as they will no longer do home/auto in TX so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Looks like you’re doing what I do then.

Pay the man. Think about the cool shit you could have bought eith that money for a few weeks. Move on.

We had a new metal roof installed on our house, garage, barn, and outbuilding. The two fox bodies I could have bought sure would be cool…

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Found out we have a plumbing leak under the slab, this is what $6k of excavation looks like.
d5bc99dbbdee25d61e104ad27e9f6532.jpg
We had that happen years ago. We just went overhead with PEX. It was common here late 80's to early 90's built house due to crappy copper fittings.
Did your homeowner’s insurance cover it?
Unless there's damage, generally not. I had no damage. I think it was $3,500 when we had the PEX done.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
We had that happen years ago. We just went overhead with PEX. It was common here late 80's to early 90's built house due to crappy copper fittings.

Unless there's damage, generally not. I had no damage. I think it was $3,500 when we had the PEX done.

ya my house has been done twice... before I bought it they had done with the plastic stuff the insurance companies stopped covering. Sucks in the summer when that shit comes out of the tap at like 150 degrees.

I know plenty of people with drain pipe issues too and it rotting out but I've seen some videos of that stuff they can run inside the pipes to sleeve them that looks pretty cool.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
before I bought it they had done with the plastic stuff
Not sure what that material is Jerry, but CPVC gets very brittle after time. Yeah, on the million degree water in the summer till it gets through the attic. They put PEX overhead in most of the new houses being built.

Users who are viewing this thread