Lethal Performance Wins 5.0 Mustang Magazine's 2013 King Of The Street Competition.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Is this the contest that lethal was bribing people online to vote for them?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I just went by the build sheet.:D

I see that complaint a lot, and to me it's like Tampa Bay Rays complaining that the Yankees have deeper pockets. It's all the same game, and he who is willing to spend the most and can do so wisely will typically win.

I understand what you mean.. But like someone mentioned they get parts at cost, or for free from sponsors.. then get to write them off at the end of the year.. Hell the whole car is a write off lol.. I get what you mean.. Deep pockets go a long way, but I remember when it was all based on the average joe that's all.. I mean hell some of the guys on here are average joe.. Own their own business, military (a lot of us) and have very high hp cars.. some in the 1300hp range I guess. But to me it's nice to read up on the guys like me and 90% of this forum that do it at almost full price :beer:

Also with Lund only doing the progressive power control thing with that one GT500 doesn't seem fair.. a shit ton of the competition was Lund tuned.. to offer it to only 1 is kinda BS.. lol..

Like I said it was just a observation..

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
I agree with 98 Saleen Cobra and the others on this. I would like to see more average Joes in the competition and because there isnt, I read past these KOTS articles/events.
but none the less, congrats to lethal.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
BS This is a horse crap response if I ever read one. These shops either need to compete with other shops at these events or they are going to tick their customers off. They get parts at cost and then get to write them off at the end of the year. The last I check I couldn't do that.

I spoke about this to a few people yesterday and we will no longer be buying parts from shops that compete against their customers on this level. These KOTS events were intended for the average joe and having a shop backed car with unlimited funds take the win will ruin these events.

BTW How can anyone be considered a winner if not all of the events where ran?

Well if I get slapped with anything for calling Lethal out on this I can say one thing...I am not alone. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS!!

Sounds like straight up haterade to me.:D

What does it matter what someone pays for mods? I hate to tell you, but everyone's bank account isn't equal. Ben could roll in with a car built with Google money and destroy everyone some day. Would you complain then because he isn't an "average car guy?" Do you think other competitors (who don't own a shop) don't have free parts on their cars? As soon as most start to build a KOTS, SEMA, PRI, NMRA, etc. car they pick up the phone and start cold calling for free parts. It's just the nature of such builds.

I don't know, maybe I'm just wired different. If I'm playing a game I don't complain that another competitor has more natural ability than me. I work harder and smarter to step up my game.

If you don't feel that you can compete with the best out there maybe you can petition 5.0 to have another contest for everyone except people who; own shops, take their cars to shops, buy parts at anything less than full blown retail, have someone hand them tools, can tune themselves, have high-speed internet, etc. Perhaps they'll call it Night Soil Man Of The Streets.

However, if you want to have a contest called King Of The Streets it needs to be open to essentially everyone. If you don't like that then hate the game, not the player.

I understand what you mean.. But like someone mentioned they get parts at cost, or for free from sponsors.. then get to write them off at the end of the year.. Hell the whole car is a write off lol.. I get what you mean.. Deep pockets go a long way, but I remember when it was all based on the average joe that's all.. I mean hell some of the guys on here are average joe.. Own their own business, military (a lot of us) and have very high hp cars.. some in the 1300hp range I guess. But to me it's nice to read up on the guys like me and 90% of this forum that do it at almost full price :beer:

Also with Lund only doing the progressive power control thing with that one GT500 doesn't seem fair.. a shit ton of the competition was Lund tuned.. to offer it to only 1 is kinda BS.. lol..

Like I said it was just a observation..

That's the second time someone has mentioned a "write off". You guys do understand that doesn't mean that the car and parts are free? They just don't have to pay income tax on the written off portion. The money that was spent on the car could have easily just been taken as a distribution by the owners of the company (usually 2-3 guys). So instead of taking money home for their families they spent it on a car. Sounds like car guys to me.

Also, speaking of Lethal I remember when Jared was just a member here with a Terminator. Learning about his car with all the other new Terminator owners. He and a couple other members got together and built a business from nothing. A business that has served the SVTP community with integrity for years. Sounds like the American Dream to me.

About the Lund issue, what makes you think that Lethal isn't paying for the development of that strategy? They could have an exclusive deal with Lund for it at this time (it is still experimental). Perhaps Lund is only offering it for testing to their biggest dealers at this time? Who knows what could be going on behind the scenes?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I see what you're saying.. It's all very valid points and I see and respect where you're coming from. There is a lot of unknowns I should say. It's really all speculation on our parts I guess.

The golden saying is HP=Money... How ever much HP you have directly equates to how much money you have lol.. They have A LOT more than me lol :beer:

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
SID297,
Some good points but I disagree with others. Maybe you are right and this should be taken to the presenter of the event. Seems like these started out as car guys taking their cars to play but just like everything else it is slowly getting to the point where it’s going to only be shops battling it out for advertisement time.

Another area I disagree with is how one sided the article above is. I guess I can take the other side and say it sounds like nut swinging if you can say what I posted sounded like hatred. Then again it might be hate of shops not leaving any form of competition for anyone other then people who do this for a living. I think they should be careful of that because we are the ones that put food on their families tables.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
SID297,
Some good points but I disagree with others. Maybe you are right and this should be taken to the presenter of the event. Seems like these started out as car guys taking their cars to play but just like everything else it is slowly getting to the point where it’s going to only be shops battling it out for advertisement time.

pretty much on board with this...granted Ive never followed it super close but it seemed in the early days they went and rounded up cars already out running around to see who was top dog and now cars are being built with KOTS in mind. With all the shop cars in it I have zero interest in KOTS anymore.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
SID297,

Another area I disagree with is how one sided the article above is. I guess I can take the other side and say it sounds like nut swinging if you can say what I posted sounded like hatred. Then again it might be hate of shops not leaving any form of competition for anyone other then people who do this for a living. I think they should be careful of that because we are the ones that put food on their families tables.

Think about the natural progression of any successful contest. I'll use The King of the Hammers offroad race as an example. In less than a decade it went from a few guys with their trail trucks to a field of hundreds of purpose built moon buggies with build sheets stacking up into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is that unfair? The KOTS competition has been around for ten years. Competition improves the breed and the cream rises to the top. There can only be one King, and that vehicle should be the best. Period.

Do you complain that NMCA allows Mike Murillo to race in 10.5? He owns a shop. What about Willard Kinzer? He's an octogenarian billionaire. I don't hear any of those guys complaining because they want to be the best. Not the best out of a handful of guys at the local 1/8 mile, the best on a national scale. They want championships, not participation trophies. 5.0/NMCA sets the rules and then leaves it to the competitors, whomever they may be, to build their cars how they see fit. Limiting those who can participate merely cheapens the contest and the victory. It's like a kid being the smartest in his class, except for the fact that he's home schooled.

Also, the article is about the winner of the contest and what went into building the winning car. How would it be biased if it is only about one participate? If you want to read about everyone in the contest pick up a copy of 5.0. Your argument that the article is nutswinging is specious at best, and is more accurately a textbook example of several logical fallacies (simple evasion, ad hominem, shifting ground, etc).

ruthless

Established Member
Think about the natural progression of any successful contest. I'll use The King of the Hammers offroad race as an example. In less than a decade it went from a few guys with their trail trucks to a field of hundreds of purpose built moon buggies with build sheets stacking up into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is that unfair? The KOTS competition has been around for ten years. Competition improves the breed and the cream rises to the top. There can only be one King, and that vehicle should be the best. Period.

Do you complain that NMCA allows Mike Murillo to race in 10.5? He owns a shop. What about Willard Kinzer? He's an octogenarian billionaire. I don't hear any of those guys complaining because they want to be the best. Not the best out of a handful of guys at the local 1/8 mile, the best on a national scale. They want championships, not participation trophies. 5.0/NMCA sets the rules and then leaves it to the competitors, whomever they may be, to build their cars how they see fit. Limiting those who can participate merely cheapens the contest and the victory. It's like a kid being the smartest in his class, except for the fact that he's home schooled.

Also, the article is about the winner of the contest and what went into building the winning car. How would it be biased if it is only about one participate? If you want to read about everyone in the contest pick up a copy of 5.0. Your argument that the article is nutswinging is specious at best, and is more accurately a textbook example of several logical fallacies (simple evasion, ad hominem, shifting ground, etc).

Slow down. I don't want to turn this into an argument. Like mentioned before this KOTS stuff was started with reader cars that were invited to show what they had. Now everything seems to be turning into a "What shop can slap parts on their car and be best". You cant compare 10.5 drag racing to this event, the Lethal car is a bolt on car. Is it done with every part they have? Yes but it is still a bolt on car. I see no chassis work or fab work done that could be used to show the shops building skills. If Lethal wants to show what they have then by all means have them go play at drag week. Those guys have mad skills and the winners deserve the right to be held as kings.

I like where you went when I mentioned nutswinging. LOL Your acting like I had a horse in this race.

Just hear me out..
The guys putting on these events are doing the same thing that the locally ran Flashlight Drags guys are. (Shut down an airport and run 1/8 on an unprepped surface) The heavy hitter cars get to the point where the weekend guys don't stand a chance of getting in the top 5. Why should a car driven an hour and a half get lined up with a fully tubed drag slick packing drag car that runs 8s at the strip and was hauled in with a semi? These events should be used to promote our love of cars and open a starting point for people. Not get saturated to the point where only fully funded cars can play.

My thoughts are that they need to put the shop owned cars into a class and have the weekend guys show what they have by having their own class. End of story!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Define 'weekend guy'? And at what point does a 'weekend guy' fall under the 'shop owned' class, such as if/when a shop employee owns the car but the shop owner loads it up with parts. Where do you draw the line in terms of money, and how do you determine who fits what social class in order to further your hypothetical vehicle class? And how do regional demographics get smoothed or balanced?

ruthless

Established Member
Are you seriously saying that you can’t tell a shop sponsored car from a guy doing this for fun? Do you think a shop is going to help with a car if they are not mentioned if you win or have stickers on the car of some kind?

klr16G

Established Member
Ya there are a lot of good things in here being said but at the end of the day these *SHOPS* get the best parts before the consumer can even order them outta the magazine. Ya its cool to see these shops go at it just bolting on as much as there credit cards can handle to win but we all know that there are loyal parts we stick with because we know they make the most HP and are reliable, and that's what we look for as far as a do it your self kinda guy like 90% of svt member's on here. Nothing wrong with that competition but leave it for a article in a mag and not bragging rights let the true people that work hard for there parts and spend every min in the garage shine a little there are some amazing cars on this site that I would rather see then the typical bolt on the best parts and have the best tuner out there tune it kinda played out for me but I'm just ranting at this point.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
My thoughts are that they need to put the shop owned cars into a class and have the weekend guys show what they have by having their own class. End of story!

Thank you for making my point for me. By having two classes for entrants how can one call the winner 'King' Of The Street?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Are you seriously saying that you can’t tell a shop sponsored car from a guy doing this for fun? Do you think a shop is going to help with a car if they are not mentioned if you win or have stickers on the car of some kind?

Hey, you made the distinction between the two, so go ahead and classify each entrant on the basis of what you see or think. You've now created another group of entrants, the ones that will feel as if they weren't treated fairly when being told which class they'll fall into. Point being, keep it simple. Want to slay Goliath on a budget? Figure out a way to do it and bring it.

ruthless

Established Member
Thank you for making my point for me. By having two classes for entrants how can one call the winner 'King' Of The Street?

Hey, you made the distinction between the two, so go ahead and classify each entrant on the basis of what you see or think. You've now created another group of entrants, the ones that will feel as if they weren't treated fairly when being told which class they'll fall into. Point being, keep it simple. Want to slay Goliath on a budget? Figure out a way to do it and bring it.

Shouldn't be hard to split the classes up because what shop wants to advertise as being KOTS by winning over all weekend guys. That would be like Jeff Lutz showing up to a local drag night and taking the $100 prize money for fastest street car.

Lame

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Shouldn't be hard to split the classes up because what shop wants to advertise as being KOTS by winning over all weekend guys. That would be like Jeff Lutz showing up to a local drag night and taking the $100 prize money for fastest street car.

Lame

If your local drag night happened to be a once a year nationally publicized and highly regarded event there would be nothing lame about it. Then again I'm not trying to compare apples and giraffes.

Users who are viewing this thread