Lethal Performance Wins 5.0 Mustang Magazine's 2013 King Of The Street Competition.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Lethal Performance is known for its knowledge and delivery of top-grade performance parts to help you mod your ride. Lethal is also famous for displaying their mod mastery by buying and building the latest high performance offerings from Ford. We've seen it in the past with their "Papa Smurf" Terminator, "Sauce" Boss 302, 2012 SVT Raptor (which you'll be seeing more of here on SVTP), and most recently the Lethal "Snow White" 2013 SVT Shelby GT500 Mustang. So when Snow White was selected to compete in the KOTS Competition they were understandably stoked.

Lethal_KOTS_02_zpsf152d256.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_03_zpse5131994.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_04_zpsd3e04b0a.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_05_zpsd021aba0.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_06_zps9ca4756c.jpg

Going into the KOTS Competition, Lethal's 2013 GT500 had under 1,000 miles on the clock and had been pushing 1,236 horsepower and over 1,100 lb/ft of torque to the rear wheels. Outside of an essentially brand new car it's fairly rare to find a fully built street car producing more horsepower than the odometer reads for mileage!

The journey to quadruple digit power numbers is a long one, and for Snow White's 5.8L Trinity V8 Lethal turned to Tim Eichorn of MPR Racing Engines. Tim expertly installed Diamond Pistons, Manley I-beam Rods, and ARP Hardware resulting in a 10.3:1 Compression mill capable of handling over 1,500 HP. Lethal then went to Kris Starnes of Kris Starnes Racing to have the stock GT500 heads ported and install Manley Springs, Ferrea Valves, and custom bullet racing cams.

Once the internals were ready, Lethal dug into their massive database of go-fast parts and ordered up a list of mods that would make John Force blush. Once the parts arrived, it was time for long-time Lethal build partner Power By The Hour to work their magic. Headlining the GT500's build is Whipple's 'Monstrous' 4.5L Twin-Screw Supercharger for extreme boost and consistency.

To make massive levels of power you need tremendous volumes of air to be able to freely enter and exit the engine. Along those lines, Lethal spec'd a 170mm Big Bore Monoblade Throttle Body, and JLT's 148 'Super Big Air' Intake for maximum breathability. JLT Performance also supported Lethal with both driver and passenger side JLT Oil Separators for intercooler oil-saturation protection. For awesome sound and peak performance, Lethal added American Racing Headers' Longtube Headers which feature 2" primary tubes and 3.5" collectors. The headers are backed up with an ARH Offroad X-pipe, and Magnaflow Street Series Axleback Kit.

Lethal_KOTS_13_zpscb6dd615.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_14_zpsd6977f01.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_07_zps1c0646c3.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_35_zpsef35e9ea.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_08_zpsb46d02b7.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_09_zps44569d06.jpg

To feed the V8 power plant a DivisionX 1800rwhp Return-Style Fuel System was tapped for maximum fuel supply and reliability. Rounding out the engine build is a set of Injector Dynamics ID2000 Fuel Injectors, ATI's 15% Overdrive Dampner, a Thump Racing Belt Tensioner, and a Reische Performance 170 Degree Thermostat that is available exclusively from Lethal Performance. For a little extra thrashing ability, Lethal added the Nitrous Pro-Flow GT500 wet nitrous kit and a custom trunk mount intercooler tank. All the parts are brought to work in harmony via an SCT X3 and custom tuning from Ken Bjonnes of Lund Racing.

Lethal_KOTS_33_zpsf8d9ebce.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_34_zps59bccf5b.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_10_zps41ad306e.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_11_zps1824947d.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_12_zpsec274862.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_15_zps844bfe29.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_16_zpsaab0177c.jpg

Snow White has retained her factory Tremec TR-6060 6-speed manual transmission. However, the tranny is now mated to Mcleod Racing's Street Twin Disc Clutch Kit to make banging gears an easier and more reliable task with hyper-horsepower levels. A Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter was added to the mix in an attempt to make shifting even quicker.

For shoes Lethal installed Bogart Racing Bolted GT drag wheels for drag racing, and True Forged Sebrings custom matte black powdercoat for the street. To build out the factory 8.8 Rear End, Lethal Performance used their exclusive S197 Rear End Upgrade Kit. Lethal also added BMR's Driveshaft Safety Loop, and UPR's Pro-Series Rear Suspension Kit, Anti-Roll Bar Kit, and the Radiator Sway Bar Mount Delete.

Now back to tuning - One of the major keys to KOTS features drivability and with an extreme blown street car, it can be pretty tough. That is why Lethal teamed up with Ken Bjonnes from Lund Racing. The Lund tuners have developed a new tuning strategy called Progressive Power Control. The new tuning feature makes driving a built/blown GT500 easier and more reliable. We realized this may be the first time many of you have heard about this 'Technobabbley Idea' so we asked Ken for the specifics. He stated that, "The faster you go, the more power the computer will give you. So you can floor this 1200+ hp car in 1st with good tires and it doesn't spin, completely drivable to anyone." He also stated that this feature is still in development, but they do plan to release it to the public late this year. Note that this is the third year in a row a Lund Tuned vehicle has won KOTS. However, Lethal Performance managed to take home the win this year in their first ever appearance in the competition.

Lethal_KOTS_32_zpse67de081.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_36_zpsec0f9ff2.jpg

The King Of The Street Competition scoring is based on the following weighted categories: Engineering 15%, Dyno Numbers 25%, Ride and Drive 25%, Drag Race 10%, Fit and finish 15%, and Public opinion 10%. The 2013 KOTS began as it has in years past, on Holley Performance's Dyno in Bowling Green, KY during the NMRA (National Mustang Racers Association) Finals. Things went pretty much as planned this first day, although most of the competitors we spoke with believes that Holley's dyno was being a bit stingy. It reminded me of something the late Carroll Shelby used to say, "Too much power is almost enough."

In the second round, the Ride and Drive, 5.0 Magazine's Mike Johnson stretched the legs of Lethal's GT500 on the Kentucky back-roads. This gave him the opportunity to put the new Progressive Power Control to the test and see how it compared to other high powered cars without it. In the end, Mike seemed to walk away with a slightly larger smile than we had seen him with while testing other cars.

However, due to rain throughout the weekend the editors of 5.0 Magazine decided to cancel the show and drag racing portions of the competition. This decision was made because not all of the competitors were able to clean their cars and make their runs in time. I know many were definitely unhappy with the change in lineup, but you have to remember that this was during the NMRA World Finals and racers were waiting the staging lanes. Spur of the moment changes are to be expected when you have live subject/objective judging of cars being held under a time constraint. To make things worse, the 5.0 staff had to throw out the results of the popular vote due to tampering of the online polling utility.

That didn't leave Editor Turner and the 5.0 crew with much data to work with for the 2013 edition of KOTS, but when the dust settled they selected Lethal Performance's Snow White GT500 (with a score of 86.5) as the victor. The SVTP crew was present for a good portion of the KOTS events, and I'll be the first to say that the competition this year was pretty tight. All the competitors involved should be proud to have made it into the event. But most of all, everyone who participated in the monumental build of Snow White should be honored. It's not every day that you get be part of crowning a new "King."

Lethal_KOTS_18_zps664970b4.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_19_zpse48b7fbb.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_21_zpsa7d850ac.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_22_zpsa3ba9b12.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_23_zps82bcc48a.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_24_zps26a7b0c7.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_25_zpsd6cf3d3d.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_26_zps192b79db.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_27_zpsb4fa49a5.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_28_zps10d2055e.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_29_zpscf909755.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_30_zpsbd48f9d4.jpg

Lethal_KOTS_31_zpseba539e3.jpg

-SID297:beer:

Lycosa

Established Member
Sucks they had to cut out so much. Very nice car. I've seen a few videos of this monster and it pulls hard! Congrats to lethal for building such an amazing car.

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
Being at the KOTS competition, I was blown away by the amount of effort the 5.0 Editors (Steve Turner, Michael Johnson, and KJ Jones) put into this event especially during the dyno session at Holley. I also noticed the sportsmanship among all of the competitors and how everyone was proud to be apart of such an exciting event.
I mean who couldn't be happier standing around 10,795.96 HORSEPOWER!!
Yeh I counted..

Winners:
1-Lethal/Jared R/Ken Bjonnes
2-Nick Shortridge
3-Mark Duber
4-Phillip Myers
5-Tom Miller
6-Justin Humphrey
7-Hellion/Dwayne James/John Urist
8-Oren Howard
9-JPC/Jeff Polivka
10-Jeffrey Hensley
11-Michael Franks
12-Lamotta/Chris Escobar

**There were an additional few selected no one will hear about this year..
BUT I have a feeling a few of these guys will show up at KOTS 2014! Travis Akins, Sean Kelley, Brad Brand, and Al Davis.

Looking forward to KOTS 2014!

:rockon::reckon:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the awesome write-up guys!! We're definitely excited and proud to have been part of such an awesome event and come out with the win.

Maybe we'll need to build a 2015 mustang to compete in next years event if they end up doing one again.

Jared

4pnt6

Established Member
It was an honor to be in such a great event. Mike and the gang from 5.0 did a great job. The weather really did suck and NMRA had a hard time with the drag portion. Congrats to the lethal crew. Snow White sounds and looks amazing. I hope to compete against you guys in 2014.

99_STROKED_GT

Established Member
Congrats to all the guys at Lethal Performance for yet another impressive Stang! Im proudly sporting a Team Lethal hoodie as I type this and look forward to what's next from team Lethal!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
congrats jared.

you should have left the lips on those wheels chrome. and the bolts. just TOO much black :poke::p

KBLEO

Established Member
What did it run in the drag race portion with all that power? What tires were used?

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
"Lethal dug into their massive database of go-fast parts and ordered up a list of mods that would make John Force blush."

LOL These writers are funny.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Is it just me or does it kinda suck that the winner and even most of the contestants are shop owners, or Parts distributors etc? What happened to the average joe guy getting into these spots.. IDK.. Just doesn't seem right to me personally, but congrats to them all either way :beer:

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Misspelled Eichhorn.

lol

I just went by the build sheet.:D

Is it just me or does it kinda suck that the winner and even most of the contestants are shop owners, or Parts distributors etc? What happened to the average joe guy getting into these spots.. IDK.. Just doesn't seem right to me personally, but congrats to them all either way :beer:

I see that complaint a lot, and to me it's like Tampa Bay Rays complaining that the Yankees have deeper pockets. It's all the same game, and he who is willing to spend the most and can do so wisely will typically win.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I see that complaint a lot, and to me it's like Tampa Bay Rays complaining that the Yankees have deeper pockets. It's all the same game, and he who is willing to spend the most and can do so wisely will typically win.

BS This is a horse crap response if I ever read one. These shops either need to compete with other shops at these events or they are going to tick their customers off. They get parts at cost and then get to write them off at the end of the year. The last I check I couldn't do that.

I spoke about this to a few people yesterday and we will no longer be buying parts from shops that compete against their customers on this level. These KOTS events were intended for the average joe and having a shop backed car with unlimited funds take the win will ruin these events.

BTW How can anyone be considered a winner if not all of the events where ran?

Well if I get slapped with anything for calling Lethal out on this I can say one thing...I am not alone. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS!!

Black Sex

Established Member

BS This is a horse crap response if I ever read one. These shops either need to compete with other shops at these events or they are going to tick their customers off. They get parts at cost and then get to write them off at the end of the year. The last I check I couldn't do that.

I spoke about this to a few people yesterday and we will no longer be buying parts from shops that compete against their customers on this level. These KOTS events were intended for the average joe and having a shop backed car with unlimited funds take the win will ruin these events.

BTW How can anyone be considered a winner if not all of the events where ran?

Well if I get slapped with anything for calling Lethal out on this I can say one thing...I am not alone. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS!!

x2

Users who are viewing this thread