Lawyers Come In Please

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
I figured some lawyers can help me. I'm a college student and have for a long time thought I wanted to go to law school. I got to college and tried the pre-med thing for a little while and it turns out I'm not really any good at science. I still have a very deep interest in law, gov't, politics, law enforcement, military, you know the entire field. My problem is, and I know this probably isn't the best source but any help is good, is that I have no idea what degree or path to seek. After the medicine thing didn't work, I now have no idea which direction to head. My ultimate goals are to either be a practicing attorney or work for a federal agency like the FBI or something. Anyone with any experience, tips, or personal stories, please chime in.

Like I said, probably not the best source of help, but there's a broad variety of people on here so I figured I could get some helpful advice. Thanks.:beer:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Im in law school now, If you really wanna do it all you can do is give it a shot, its not for everyone, there are days I love it and days I hate it, days where I feel like i wanna quit and others where I wanna keep going, so you just gotta decide if you wanna be a lawyer or not first, if you do give law school a try, but its not cheap so make an educated decision, some people come and then quit because they do not wanna work hard, my roomate was one of them and he was gone after the first two months

s_x_i

Established Member
I'm not a Lawyer, but I work in Law. I have seen plenty of people come for the money and leave after a few months. It can be boring to the wrong person. Maybe pick a field you're interested in and try get an internship or part time job doing it before you decide on law school.

Me... I like it, it's almost as if I get to play clue for a living! :lol:

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
Im in law school now, If you really wanna do it all you can do is give it a shot, its not for everyone, there are days I love it and days I hate it, days where I feel like i wanna quit and others where I wanna keep going, so you just gotta decide if you wanna be a lawyer or not first, if you do give law school a try, but its not cheap so make an educated decision, some people come and then quit because they do not wanna work hard, my roomate was one of them and he was gone after the first two months

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff did you do in college to prepare or let you know you wanted to do law? Any admissions advice? I've already started looking for internships and other things.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I am finishing my law degree and I work for a Fed. L.E. Agency. The Bureau hires a lot of people with J.D.s They will also help pay back some of your loans. The key to getting into a good law school (Tier 1) is to have a high undergrad GPA (3.6+/4.0), and do well on the LSATs (165+). Extracurricular activities in public service and volunteering look great on your law school application. Law school can be challenging at time, but it is what you make of it.

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
I am finishing my law degree and I work for a Fed. L.E. Agency. The Bureau hires a lot of people with J.D.s They will also help pay back some of your loans. The key to getting into a good law school (Tier 1) is to have a high undergrad GPA (3.6+/4.0), and do well on the LSATs (165+). Extracurricular activities in public service and volunteering look great on your law school application. Law school can be challenging at time, but it is what you make of it.

yeah I've got alot of volunteering going on. My problem is that taking some of those pre-med classes and not doing too well hurt my early GPA a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread