lawn care

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
So my yard especially our back yard has weeds galore. The front is fine but I want it to all look uniformed. Has anyone used tru green lawn care? I called them and got a a qoute but before I move forward wanted to see if anyone had experience with them?

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
What kind of grass do you have? I would suspect most of the weeds you have in your yard now will die when summer comes around. So you could put out some pre-emergent now and then wait til your grass is fully out of dormancy and spray out whatever weeds you have. You're in the transition zone so if you're working with cool season grass how you maintain your grass might be different. But, depending on what level of care you're looking at you should be fine with tru green. Obviously they are trying to make money so in a lot of cases they will sell you on products you don't necessarily need. In most cases any chemical application they do, that you actually need, you could do yourself for cheaper than what they will charge.

raustin0017

Established Member
I fired TruGreen. They did a crappy job. I hired an independent self-employed lawn-care guy. He only has two employees and this is how he feeds his family. Customers are important to him. I was just an address to TruGreen and they could care less.

usaf_eagle

Established Member
I fired TruGreen. They did a crappy job. I hired an independent self-employed lawn-care guy. He only has two employees and this is how he feeds his family. Customers are important to him. I was just an address to TruGreen and they could care less.

I had the same experience with tru-green, except they couldn't care less about me.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Weed & Feed, and over seed. When I purchased my house my yard was a disaster. Going into the second summer it was looking way better. By the 4 summer, after applying Scott's turf builder in the spring followed by over seeding it 3 weeks later, my lawn looks damn good.

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
You live in Wilmington, so you either have centipede or St. Augustine, right? If your soil isn't powder dry (sandy) right after a rainstorm, then that stuff should grow well and choke out weeds with a minimum dose of proper fertilizer/pre-emergent combination, occasional watering, and frequent mowing to keep weeds from going to seed. If that's not enough, then you'll probably just have to spot treat weeds with weed killer through the summer.

Test your soil pH as well. I doubt it'll be an issue, since most soils in your area will support those two grasses. Good luck.

Street Jesus

Practically A God!
Established Member
My yard has been turning into a giant sheet of moss over the last two years. Time to do something about it.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
We have been in the house for going on our 5th summer and while the whole yard started out bad the front has gotten much better but ever summer the weeds in the back just don't go away and it seems like it's different kinds of weed each year. I have tried over seeding but nothing seems to take. I might try some of the advice given so far if I don't go with Tru Green.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Funny you brought this up. I just thatched my yard yesterday and put some fertilizer down, and once it starts raining a little more here I'll over seed it. This works well here on my Bahia grass.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
We have been in the house for going on our 5th summer and while the whole yard started out bad the front has gotten much better but ever summer the weeds in the back just don't go away and it seems like it's different kinds of weed each year. I have tried over seeding but nothing seems to take. I might try some of the advice given so far if I don't go with Tru Green.

What kind of grass and do you have a bunch of trees/shade? What kind of seed have you been over seeding with?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Consider contracting a local service. They know your area soil condition and best grass types. They should be able to best determine what services/products your lawn requires and can get your lawn looking great. I use a local service and they're always there to answer questions and provide what my lawn needs. I would not be able to do this on my own. I just don't have the knowledge and experience they have. And I don't have to store seed, fertilizer, spreader, etc.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
What turfgrass do you have? This will make the biggest difference in recommendations. Trugreen is losing money for a reason...they suck. I'm spray mgr for a decent size company in greater memphis area.

GodStang

Established Member
Funny I was about to ask a similar question. I had Trugreen and they made my yard look worse. I think they were just spraying some water on my lawn once every few months. So I fired them. Now I have tons and tons of these purple flower weeds. So I am looking for someone to spray my yard that will also do insects.

Users who are viewing this thread