Launching In Second Gear

1Quik46

Livin The Dream!
Established Member
So I have a little bet going with my buddy about this. He thinks that a TS S/C backed by 4.10s would be best utilized, at the track, by launching in 2nd gear. He thinks it will make his ET lower since he wont have that 1-2 shift. I said it negates the fact of having such a tall gear. I think he should drop down to 3.73s and launch in 1st. Thoughts???

This is all hypothetical.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard... That would be like launching the said car with 3.08's versus 4.10's with slicks. It's going to bog, put a shit ton more load on the car, and leave like a turd until it gets up high enough in the RPM range to boogy.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
By the way, that was my setup for the ET in my signature. 4.10's with a Whipple (and 17x9.5" ET streets). Tell him to find someone with a faster 1/8 mile ET for me with that setup or launching from 2nd gear. LMAO

1Quik46

Livin The Dream!
Established Member
That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard... That would be like launching the said car with 3.08's versus 4.10's with slicks. It's going to bog, put a shit ton more load on the car, and leave like a turd until it gets up high enough in the RPM range to boogy.

Couldnt agree more!!!:thumbsup:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Lol. 4.10s here with a TS. Can't wait to hit the track with the new Spec3+.

Wayneo

Established Member
Tell him you'll try it, Then he can buy the clutch and put in for you after its smoked!!!!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Be sure and tell him if he does it he needs to do a burnout in Reverse to really get it to hook lol. Really ride it out too.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I can't believe this question was even asked? I used to launch a 3.35 1st gear T-5 at 5K rpms with a 150 shot of juice and 3.73's! Yeah do a burnout in 2nd BUT launch in 1st!

Black Sex

Established Member
I really do launch in 2nd on the STREET. About a 3-4K clutch dump then hold it about half throttle untill it stops spinning. I does work good. I had 3.73's now going to 4.10's so it should be even better. As far as doing it at the track......um no. If the track was not preped and I was on street tires, I would try it.

1Quik46

Livin The Dream!
Established Member
He is still not convinced. He says its physics...you eliminate the time it would take to shift by having a tall gear if you had the power to launch hard enough in 2nd. Its to the point now I laugh....but he still believes.:shrug:

cobracide

Established Member
Sheesh, it's just a tradeoff. Sure if you had 1k hp it might be more beneficial to launch in 2nd gear. I'd be looking for a new transmission/gear ratios to go with at that point though. OR more like an AUTO.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Bah see what he needs to do is launch in 4th thus eliminating any shifts and he can go from the tree all the way through the traps saving tons of ET by not shifting!

Has your buddy ever ran at the track?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
He is still not convinced. He says its physics...you eliminate the time it would take to shift by having a tall gear if you had the power to launch hard enough in 2nd. Its to the point now I laugh....but he still believes.:shrug:

time wise yes....but that 1st gear is what gets these heavy cars moving especially through a manual. launching in 2nd is only going to put all that added stress of trying to move the car on the trans. your going from a 2.66 gear to a 1.78 gear. thats LESS gear than a powerglide has...lol

I think he needs to learn how to shift better

Users who are viewing this thread