Late Night Oil Change, Possible Hurt Engine!

2003SLVRSNAKE

Established Member
Last week, I was having problems with my car. Stalling, Surging, & Backfiring. Come to find it was the FRPS. Replaced the FRPS and it seem fine. It drove great, codes gone. Everything is good.:banana: Well, I decide to need change the oil and change the plugs since I replaced the FRPS.
Well, eager to get my car running right. I changed the oil Friday night (only free time I had) in a hurry (cold out). After changing oil, I let the car idle for a while. The next day, I take the car out for a spin. Get on it a lil bit, looked in the rearview and there was a cloud white smoke behind me. F**K!
Look down at the oil pressure, NONE. I immediately turn the off. I coast the car to a stop.
I popped the hood and noticed oil everywhere (bottom side). I call a friend to pull me home. No dice, car too damn low. Call all the friends with trailer, no answers or they were nowhere near home. :idea:I decided to run to the Dollar General (5 miles) in wife's car to get some cheap oil just to get me home (1 mile away). Pour some oil in to see where the leak was coming from. It was behind the oil filter. I immediately pulled it off and along came the F'king o-ring from the old filter. :fm:
Ok, gently drive the car back home and notice there's a oil trail from the edge of my driveway to the stopping point. I drained the cheap oil and remove the filter. Wife brought home some Mobil 1 (5W-20) and a new oil filter.
Now, car idles fine but there sound like some rattling when you get the RPMs up. It sound similar to valves rattling.:fm: It's not really loud but noticeable.
:??: Sometimes, when u pressed the clutch it goes away.

Another f'king life lesson for me.:(

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Damn!! With the Cobra, I triple check the o-ring and the allen screw with every oil change (once/year).

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
O man sorry to hear! I remember back in auto shop in high school kids were doing an oil change on a mustang GT. As soon as they started it up oil spilled out from under the car. Turns out they had 2 oil filter rings on there as well. Teacher started screaming to turn the car off. Needless to say, with that memory in my head, every oil change I always make sure to get the old o ring off. How long was it running before you noticed the smoke?

2003SLVRSNAKE

Established Member
O man sorry to hear! I remember back in auto shop in high school kids were doing an oil change on a mustang GT. As soon as they started it up oil spilled out from under the car. Turns out they had 2 oil filter rings on there as well. Teacher started screaming to turn the car off. Needless to say, with that memory in my head, every oil change I always make sure to get the old o ring off. How long was it running before you noticed the smoke?

I appreciate it. It wasn't running long 2-3 minutes (maybe). I drove about 1/2 mile before I shut it off. The bad thing is I usually always double check but just this one time being in a hurry and freezing my ass off.

I just being having bad luck lately with my car.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member

Happened to my dad...I do the same b/c the old one likes to get stuck...

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Hmm...
I say you let it cool down, and let her idle a little, and see if the noise is still there...
If it is...I would change the oil with filter one more time...
If the story you are depicting is true,
I find it hard to believe the motor got seriously hurt, unless it was pouring out rather quick...
Subscribing

Last edited:

divided

Established Member
So im clear you installed a new oil filter with the old ring and new ring. So it wasnt sealing and all your oil probably leaked out causing engine damage? if so, that sucks! I've always had it pounded in my head to check for the old ring.

KILRSVT

Established Member
if it goes away when you press the clutch itsprobably the t.o.b.. consedering the fact that you didnt give it hell. you might be in good shape. i would change the oil once again make sure yo get the old seal out...j/k and refill it with new oil. let it idle and see if the noise goes away when it gets warm...it could be just pistion slap and you are noticing it now becuase o what you did the the car..good luck

postalbunny

Established Member
i'd check that clutch again... if the noise goes away when it's pushed in it's got to the throw out bearing. You're probably just extra paranoid from having just shat the oil all over the neighborhood.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
Happen to me once. I had done everything right too. I oiled the ring and tightened it up good! Oil filter backed off when I got on it! I noticed immediately because I watch my gauges like a hawk so nothing was harmed. Just annoying!

venomous99

Established Member
maybe the lash adjusters need to be pumped up with oil. wouldnt expect it to take long though once u put oil in it. it could also be a spun bearing....probe around with a stethoscope to be convinced its a top end issue. might want to check the oil again for shavings.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
I've heard that so many times. Most recently my friend did it on his motorcycle. We went for a ride and it let loose (same prob the old o-ring stayed on) coated his tires w/ quarts of oil. Lucky for him he didn't loose control. Never a good situtation. Hope yours isn't too bad.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
That's happened to me before.....Shit sucks and gives you an uneasy feeling when you look down and all your oil is on the drive way.

2003SLVRSNAKE

Established Member
maybe the lash adjusters need to be pumped up with oil. wouldnt expect it to take long though once u put oil in it. it could also be a spun bearing....probe around with a stethoscope to be convinced its a top end issue. might want to check the oil again for shavings.
Yeah, I plan on checking the oil again. It kinda sucks because sometimes u hear it sometimes u don't. Most of the time It seems like it's from the top. And today I think its coming from the bottom. :??:
any updates?
None, yet!
That's happened to me before.....Shit sucks and gives you an uneasy feeling when you look down and all your oil is on the drive way.
It really really sucks sitting hear thinking that u may have spun a bearing.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Unfortunately the easiest way to drop the pan and check the #1 rod bearing is to drop the K.(which I suspect is your problem)
I would do this before you possibly damage more stuff by driving around with excessive clearances.
You could technically change the rods and mains without pulling the engine.
BUT IT HAS TO BE SQUEAKY CLEAN in there! If it's metaled up it should be pulled and thoroughly cleaned with HOT SOAPY WATER and a gun cleaning kit.
The oil galley plugs get pulled and you clean in there very carefully.

Also if you have any blued parts, they have been over heated and you do not want to reuse them, with the possible exception of the crank which could get resurfaced and polished if it's not too hurt.

Best of luck to you, sorry to hear you got bit by the stuck oil o-ring gremlin.:nonono::(

Users who are viewing this thread