Laptop display issue, computer guys enter

Ironhand

Banned
I tried to replace the screen on my old laptop that was cracked. It didnt go very well so a few weeks ago I striped it into pieces and sold off what I could.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He's coming tomorrow at 3pm. My wife will be here when he gets here.

Yes, I know it's a dell to the others who posted, however, for the specs it has and what I need it for. I think it will suffice. It's going to a computer mainly to do additional work from home after I get home from logging in a full days work.

I'll come back to this thread to let you all know what it was. Inverter versus backlight versus exchange for another model. I don't know how an exchange will work since I bought it off eBay from a what I thought was a reputable company. However, it is a brand new laptop.

Ah, okay. Let us know how you make out. As far as the Dell product line, our office has used Dell computers for over 10 years and they've been exceptional with zero issues. Here at home, we've used Dells for about that same length of time, with one failure. I choice was to not buy another Dell and build a more solid/reliable computer myself as a replacement. I'm happy I went that route. That said, you will likely be happy with your Dell computer once the screen issue is fixed.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'll come back to this thread to let you all know what it was. Inverter versus backlight versus exchange for another model. I don't know how an exchange will work since I bought it off eBay from a what I thought was a reputable company. However, it is a brand new laptop.
if they are coming out for warranty you will be fine. if it needs exchanging they will do so. I have 2 dells that I bought off of ebay. both were fully warrantied for 3 years as was described in the add.

termin8rdsg

Established Member
Computer repair tech came and brought a power supply and some card. My wife isn't a computer guru, so I have no clue what card he brought. The tech said the person my wife spoke with must of misunderstood what the issue was, no offense but I think a language barrier was to blame *ahem India*. She was very articulate as to what the issue is. Dell states the warranty allows a tech to come to the house once and only once. Dell will mail a box and the repair will take 3-5 days upon receipt of the laptop. So this issue is to be continued.....

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Computer repair tech came and brought a power supply and some card. My wife isn't a computer guru, so I have no clue what card he brought. The tech said the person my wife spoke with must of misunderstood what the issue was, no offense but I think a language barrier was to blame *ahem India*. She was very articulate as to what the issue is. Dell states the warranty allows a tech to come to the house once and only once. Dell will mail a box and the repair will take 3-5 days upon receipt of the laptop. So this issue is to be continued.....

At least it will get fixed and you don't have to repair it yourself.

Just thought of something to tell/ask you.

Is it a old style LCD screen or LED?

If it's LCD I still bet it's a bad inverter or one that has become disconnected. LCD with CCFL backlights require inverters to step up the power to the lamp.

LED backlit screens do not need an inverter. Could just be a loose cable or wire going to the backlight.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well Asher, at least it is a new computer and you're not going to have to deal with possibly losing files during their repair process. That's one big disadvantage of having to send a computer back for repair. So it could have been a lot worse. So you won't be inconvenienced too much while waiting for it to return? I hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread