Laptop display issue, computer guys enter

termin8rdsg

Established Member
Hi guys,

I just purchased a new dell 14r laptop. It will not display a picture at all. I called dell, we did all the diagnostic tests, still no picture. It turns on and the fan is on, so I know it works. I just plugged in in through HDMI on the tv and now I see what I should be seeing on the laptop. What are your thoughts on why nothing is showing up on the actual display?

Update I turned on my handheld flashlight and shined in on the screen. The back light must be off, why I have no clue it's brand new.

Thanks,
Asher

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Sounds like either the screen is not plugged in or the screen is bad. Is it under warranty? if so, send it back ASAP and get it taken care of. I had the same issue not long ago and it happened just as my warranty was about to expire. Fixed at 0 cost :dancenana:

flS/R

Established Member
does the screen do anything at all?

maybe it is just the inverter or the light. If you tilt it at an angle can you see anything?

termin8rdsg

Established Member
does the screen do anything at all?

maybe it is just the inverter or the light. If you tilt it at an angle can you see anything?

If I tilt it back towards the light I can see. It's ridiculously dark. Thus my noob thoughts on no back light. How do I troubleshoot a Backlight issue?

termin8rdsg

Established Member
Sounds like either the screen is not plugged in or the screen is bad. Is it under warranty? if so, send it back ASAP and get it taken care of. I had the same issue not long ago and it happened just as my warranty was about to expire. Fixed at 0 cost :dancenana:

Thanks I have a dell tech scheduled to come but if it's something trivial, I'd rather do it myself.

JasonSnake

Established Member
try increasing brightness with the Fn hotkeys. On Dells, it's usually Fn + Up arrow.

Try this as well: Power off laptop all the way. Hold down the 'D' key. Then press power button simultaneously. You should a screen diagnostic test. Now I"m not sure if this is available on consumer laptops (I work on Dell Latitudes at work)

termin8rdsg

Established Member
try increasing brightness with the Fn hotkeys. On Dells, it's usually Fn + Up arrow.

Try this as well: Power off laptop all the way. Hold down the 'D' key. Then press power button simultaneously. You should a screen diagnostic test. Now I"m not sure if this is available on consumer laptops (I work on Dell Latitudes at work)

Hot keys didn't change a thing. Diagnostic screen didn't even come up. I haven't installed the operating system yet, or agree to windows 8. Well it's pre installed but I have to agree to terms and conditions. Can you even get to a diagnostic screen at this time?

Last edited:

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
If you shine a flashlight at the screen and you can see a faint image its the backlight that needs to be replaced.

if you do the above step and see nothing then its the inverter.

I wasnt sure if you meant when you shined your flashlight at the screen you saw anything or not.

termin8rdsg

Established Member
Sorry, yes I see a faint image, must be the inverter then. Thank you guys!! It's under warranty and a tech will be coming out shortly.

slidai

Established Member
If they give you hell about it, just demand they send you a new one and use the package from the new one for return shipping. I did this 3 times with a dell notebook. You have to bitch pretty hard though.

ScrmngYellow04

Somebody's Watching Me
Established Member
Its either the video card or like mentioned above the screen is bad or not plugged in all the way.

Since you just bought it have Dell replace it for you.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Hot keys didn't change a thing. Diagnostic screen didn't even come up. I haven't installed the operating system yet, or agree to windows 8. Well it's pre installed but I have to agree to terms and conditions. Can you even get to a diagnostic screen at this time?
Go into the BIOS IIRC f2 or delete depending on what they are currently doing. there is a setting for screen brightness (or used to be). It is entirely possible that in the testng they forgot to up the brightness when they were finished. since it is in the BIOS and turned all the way down your Fn keys won't affect it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When is the repair guy coming to fix it? Sounded like it might be today by your last post this morning.

Planter

Banned
Problem #1: It's a Dell.

Problem #2: It's a PC

Solutions to Problems 1 and 2. Chuck the mother****er in the trash and go buy a MAC.

/all problems solved. resume life. :-D

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member

Solutions to Problems 1 and 2. Chuck the mother****er in the trash and go buy a MAC.

+1 on the dell ^ they have gone downhill since 2000

Custom everything

termin8rdsg

Established Member
When is the repair guy coming to fix it? Sounded like it might be today by your last post this morning.

He's coming tomorrow at 3pm. My wife will be here when he gets here.

Yes, I know it's a dell to the others who posted, however, for the specs it has and what I need it for. I think it will suffice. It's going to a computer mainly to do additional work from home after I get home from logging in a full days work.

I'll come back to this thread to let you all know what it was. Inverter versus backlight versus exchange for another model. I don't know how an exchange will work since I bought it off eBay from a what I thought was a reputable company. However, it is a brand new laptop.

Last edited:

termin8rdsg

Established Member
Go into the BIOS IIRC f2 or delete depending on what they are currently doing. there is a setting for screen brightness (or used to be). It is entirely possible that in the testng they forgot to up the brightness when they were finished. since it is in the BIOS and turned all the way down your Fn keys won't affect it.

Held f2 entered BIOS, nothing under main,advanced,security,boot that looked like some sort of screen brightness setting. Good idea though, thank you.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

this is bullshit. plain and simple. and you know I have both dells and macs. Dell is no different than any other computer manufacturer. They have good ones and bad ones. Most of the time Dells are some of the best and most reliable out there, in spite of what people that have had a bad experience say. but there are people who have had bad experiences with every brand there is, including Macs.

Held f2 entered BIOS, nothing under main,advanced,security,boot that looked like some sort of screen brightness setting. Good idea though, thank you.
well shit. that feature has been in and out more that a groom on his wedding day.

Users who are viewing this thread