Lakers vs. Celtics

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Who has an idea to how this series is going to play out?

I have been thinking really hard about this, and I still don't think any team has has a clear advantage. This is why I think the Lakers will take it in 7 though.

1. Kobe Bryant- Say what you will about the guy but he has done nothing but shut up all doubters this season. His injuries clearly were the reason his game was affected so much late in the season and early in the playoffs, and not just his old age (which does play a minor role). He has a big ego and demands respect, and he will not give up one bit until he feels he gets redemption for what the Celtics did to him two years ago. He is still the best player in the game, and it's funny to now see Charles Barkley swinging from his nutsack.

2. Home Court - This is obviously huge, and it is something the Lakers really missed the last time around. Statistically, this point speaks for itself.

3. Ron Artest - This is the series he is here for. Paul Pierce destroyed the Lakers two years ago, and Artest will definitely make it MUCH harder for Pierce to repeat that performance. It would suck to be Pierce knowing that every night you will be guarded by either Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant, or both lol. I also think Artest has the same intensity and desire to win his first championship that Garnett did two years ago.

4. Andrew Bynum - He will probably not fill the stat sheet or make the highlights, but he WILL have an effect if he can play through his injuries. He can bang with the biggest guys in the league, and I am very intrigued to see his mentality in this series.

5. Redemption - This is biggest for Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom. Both of them have something to prove, and I think Pau will have an amazing series. I look for Lamar to have maybe two good games, but that is all we need out of him. I think he can give us a couple 19 point 19 rebound games again.

If the Celtics manage to win, I think this will be why:

1. Rajon Rondo - Simply put, he will have to play well every game for them to win. The Lakers' biggest weakness is guarding fast point guards, and I think Rondo can cause many problems for the Lakers. His mentality will be the tipping point. He needs to be the leader of that team somehow along with the Big 3.

2. Ray Allen - If Ray has a hot hand, he is extremely difficult for the Lakers to cover in a screen and roll situation. Since I don't see Pierce will be as big a factor as he was last time, Ray will really have to step it up and be aggressive from both the 3-point line and driving to the basket.

3. Kevin Garnett - He is one of the best players on the floor, and his age can't be a factor in this series. If Bynum is healthy, he can really cause problems for Garnett, and at the least drain his energy. If Pau is playing at a high level, which I think he will be, Garnett is going to have a very tough time.

4. Kendrick Perkins - He NEEDS to stop bitching about every foul that gets called on him, and he will need to play big games to have a presence in the paint. I think he screwed himself because this is going to be a very tough series with allot of contact, and people will be getting technicals. I actually wouldn't be surprised if one of the Lakers gets in his face or tries to do something to draw a double technical. We all know how refs these days love to throw that double technical to calm things down, so I can definitely see a Laker gladly taking a technical to get Perkins suspended.

5. Bench - The Celtics need BIG games from their bench. Nate has to step up in more than just one game, and Allan also has to have a big impact. Big Baby also needs to hang with the big boys. This is where I think they will really miss people like Powe, House, and Posey. If their bench can step up, that is another great place to attack the Lakers.

Overall I think it will go in the Lakers' favor. I think the Lakers have more to prove and more motivation. We are healthier and better than we were two years ago, and last year when we won the title. I would argue that this Celtics team is not as good as the team from 2008. I think home court will be a huge factor in the Lakers' favor even though the Celtics are great on the road. I think the Lakers hate the Celtics more than the Celtics hate the Lakers. The Lakers feel like the kid who got beat up by the bully ('08 Celtics) and now we are a little older, but much stronger and want to kick that bully's ass. This is going to make for one hell of a series!!!

Last edited:

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I agree with everything about this except about Perkins. The only reason why I think you are saying this is because of the game he got booted from against the Magic. It was not even a foul in the first place and then they went ahead and gave him a t-foul. Really a bad call imo and a lot of the sports analysts though it was a terrible call.

Other than that I know the Celtics have been unreal this season on the road. Leon Powe stepped up huge against the Lakers the last time they met in the finals. The Celtics will need someone to do the same again. I am going to say Wallace comes up big in one of the games like Robinson did.

I am pulling for the Celtics obviously and I am sure you are going to root for the Lakers since the Celtics ousted the Magic :)

ff500

Established Member
I never thought the Celtics would make it this far, should be a good series they always are when the Celtics play the Lakers. Because of the 2-3-2 format I like the Celtics chances.

Coiled03

Established Member
I agree, Lakers in 7. I think it really comes down to who plays the best between Kobe and Rondo.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
I just don't see Kobe letting the Lakers lose.

i just dont see kobe having a say in the matter :rolling:

i say Celtics in 6. lakers have no answer for Rondo's quickness, and if he gets his mid range jumpers going, he'll be a nightmare for la. i feel the lakers still cant match the Celtic's physical play down low, mostly due to what looks like bynum's lmiited mobility with his knee. the key for Boston might actually be how well Tony Allen plays. if kobe tries to go on one of his tears, Allen will most likely be inserted for his D, but that means they'll need more production from him on the other end.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Kobe is the best closer in the game. He enjoys those last second shots with two or three defenders in his face.

When it's go time, he can make buckets just about every time down the court. Whether it be a jumper, 3-pointer, or free throw.

Lakers in 6.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I agree, Lakers in 7. I think it really comes down to who plays the best between Kobe and Rondo.

Kobe has been here many times. I give Kobe a huge advantage in this series over Rondo.

Don't get me wrong, Rondo is great at just about everything minus his jumper. However, you can't justify Kobe being in this position and having the experience. Along with having Fisher by his side who has been in the league for 14 seasons. Not to mention, 4 NBA Championships.

I also think the Lakers have the advantage in the coaching department as well.

Last edited:

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
im a hometown guy and vote C's in 7. 'BUT'......if the lakers give it us on the boards and run we may get tired....it showed in game 4 and 5 with the magic.....it will be a great series indeed!!!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
lakers_vs_celtics.jpg

This game rocked back in the day.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
The only spot I see the where the Lakers are at a disadvantage is at Point guard, Rondo has really shown in these playoffs that he deserves to be in the discussion with Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, etc as possibly the best PG in the league, although he does really need to develop a consistent jump shot.

In the front court, I would say it's a push to a slight edge for the Lakers, Celtics are better defensively, Lakers are better offensively. Lakers have the advantage at the 2, as good as Ray Allen is, Kobe is much better. At the 3, Pierce and Artest play each other strength to strength and weakness to weakness. I expect Pierce to out score Artest, but not by as much as their Season Average, I also think Artest will out effort Pierce by a Large margin.

This is going to be a great series, I will truly enjoy watching it. I don't have a dog in this fight, but if I had to pick one, I would say the Lakers are going to win in six.

Coiled03

Established Member
The only spot I see the where the Lakers are at a disadvantage is at Point guard, Rondo has really shown in these playoffs that he deserves to be in the discussion with Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, etc as possibly the best PG in the league, although he does really need to develop a consistent jump shot.

In the front court, I would say it's a push to a slight edge for the Lakers, Celtics are better defensively, Lakers are better offensively. Lakers have the advantage at the 2, as good as Ray Allen is, Kobe is much better. At the 3, Pierce and Artest play each other strength to strength and weakness to weakness. I expect Pierce to out score Artest, but not by as much as their Season Average, I also think Artest will out effort Pierce by a Large margin.

This is going to be a great series, I will truly enjoy watching it. I don't have a dog in this fight, but if I had to pick one, I would say the Lakers are going to win in six.

This - but I give the Lakers more than a slight edge in the front cournt.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Chris Forsberg ESPN said:
So how exactly has Pierce fared against Artest? The wizards at ESPN Stats & Information crunched the numbers and Artest has enjoyed more success than you might think as Pierce is averaging a mere 0.58 points per play against Artest over the past three regular seasons.

To quantify that, let's first explain how that metric is determined: A play is defined as any field goal attempt, trip to the foul line, or turnover. The only plays registered are when Artest is the initial defender, and does not include points scored off switches, offensive rebounds, cuts, and transition plays.

In a nutshell, this is 1-on-1 basketball. Ball-handler vs. defender.

Under that scenario, Pierce ran 38 plays and scored 22 points on 6-of-26 shooting (23.1 percent) with eight turnovers and four trips to the foul line. The mere fact that Pierce generated more turnovers than field goals suggests Artest has dominated the matchup.

Given the way Pierce struggled offensively against Cleveland's LeBron James, it's worth watching if he's able to keep up his offensive exploits from the Eastern Confernce finals against the Magic. After all, Pierce will likely draw the already daunting task of guarding Kobe Bryant, much like he checked James in the second round, and used up much of his energy at that end of the floor.

Here's one more set of numbers for you to chomp on: The last time Pierce and Artest met in the postseason was the opening round of the 2004 playoffs. Not only did the Pacers sweep, Pierce averaged 20.8 points per game on 34.2 percent shooting (just 29.4 percent from beyond the arc, while committing 6.3 turnovers per game.

Pierce vs. Artest article

cobra_matt

Established Member
1. Kobe Bryant- Say what you will about the guy but he has done nothing but shut up all doubters this season. His injuries clearly were the reason his game was affected so much late in the season and early in the playoffs, and not just his old age (which does play a minor role). He has a big ego and demands respect, and he will not give up one bit until he feels he gets redemption for what the Celtics did to him two years ago. He is still the best player in the game, and it's funny to now see Charles Barkley swinging from his nutsack.

What did the Celtics do to Kobe 2 years ago? I don't follow basketball but am interested in knowing the story behind that.

Users who are viewing this thread