KOOKS Header install

stangy2004

Established Member
I'm installing 1 7/8 kooks longtubes. I dropped the k frame and have the motor suspended. Do you guys lift the motor or drop it to get to the top bolts?Looks like a pia.

TRBO VNM

I have done both depending on the bolt. those are the easiest brand headers I have installed so far on these cars.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I lowered the motor. I have Kooks 1 7/8 and the MM steering shaft doesn't fit BTW. We had to unbolt head tube # 7 and bend it back and really fight and force to get the joint through there. Even after that it rubs and grinds on the header tubes so I had to take a die grinder and remove material along the shaft for clearance in about a 2" long stretch as it hits the tubes when you turn the steering wheel.

The Flaming River steering shaft I later found out has a removable joint on the end which would have saved us bending back #7. As far as fitment and not hitting the tubes when steering I don't know.

I called Kooks tech support and they told me to just use the stock steering shaft it works fine lol :bash:

stangy2004

Established Member
I lowered the motor. I have Kooks 1 7/8 and the MM steering shaft doesn't fit BTW. We had to unbolt head tube # 7 and bend it back and really fight and force to get the joint through there. Even after that it rubs and grinds on the header tubes so I had to take a die grinder and remove material along the shaft for clearance in about a 2" long stretch as it hits the tubes when you turn the steering wheel.

The Flaming River steering shaft I later found out has a removable joint on the end which would have saved us bending back #7. As far as fitment and not hitting the tubes when steering I don't know.

I called Kooks tech support and they told me to just use the stock steering shaft it works fine lol :bash:
Ya ill just stick with the stock one then, thanks for the heads up. Driver side header looks like a piece of cake but the passenger side top bolts are gonna suck.Did you get to them from underneath or up top?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ya ill just stick with the stock one then, thanks for the heads up. Driver side header looks like a piece of cake but the passenger side top bolts are gonna suck.Did you get to them from underneath or up top?

The passenger's side I installed with the motor out of the car. The driver's side I had to lower the motor and go through the motions due to steering shaft headaches.

Sorry my first message wasn't very clear. The stock driver shaft is bigger than the MM unit and will be an even bigger nightmare than I had. I'm guessing Flaming River is the way to go. Tech support was clueless. Told me the stock shaft will just slide between the tubes with no issues yet my much thinner and skinnier MM setup didn't even come close to just sliding through. As mentioned had to unbolt #7 and pry back really hard while a helper worked the shaft through.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I drilled the stop out of the MM shaft. Unfortunately, the stop is hardened and I broke off a bit in it. So, after a trip to the local machine shop the stop was removed. This lets the end slide off the shaft. That way you slip the shaft trough the headers and slip the end back on. Once the shaft is attached to the rack, the end can not slip off the shaft. You could put a set screw in the shaft in place of the stop if the above worries you.

TRBO VNM

The stock steering shaft fits without any issues. You have to remove it from the steering column inside and remove the bearing plate that attaches to the firewall that the steering shaft goes through. Couple extra steps but I have had no clearance issues with any of the installs I have done.

The only bolt I had an issue with is the top front on the passenger side. I bought a header wrench and that made it a little easier. Everything else was pretty easy to do.

04cobra88

Established Member
My stock steering shaft wouldn't work with my 1 3/4 kooks but the MM shaft fit I wouldn't of thought that 1/8 th of a inch would make it that tight

stangy2004

Established Member
I installed both headers last night. Went fairly easy by myself. Just have the top front passenger bolt left. I'm gonna have to shorten the bolt but had enough for the night.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I installed both headers last night. Went fairly easy by myself. Just have the top front passenger bolt left. I'm gonna have to shorten the bolt but had enough for the night.

Why do you need to shorten? access issues with the body of the car or something with the header itself? I didn't have to shorten any so just wondering.

stangy2004

Established Member
Why do you need to shorten? access issues with the body of the car or something with the header itself? I didn't have to shorten any so just wondering.
The bolt hits the primary and won't go in straight.Maybe i can try pulling the primary off the head a little bit but this bolt is gonna be a pita.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ah, so I got all bolts started and partially threaded before cinching down the manifold. Maybe that's why.

TRBO VNM

yeah, gotta start them all first to make sure everything is lined up, then remove that primary and tighten the rest and put the primary back in. tightening a few that you have access to with that tube installed would be good as well.

The other thing, I have used a bolt on that upper front top location on the passenger side but use the stock hardware on the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread