koni yellows w/ stock brembo springs?

Fun4me

Established Member
So I'm deciding between these three springs:
Stock Brembo
Stock Boss
Ford P

Opinions? For a DD w/ yellows.

Will the P springs work fine w/o a gt500 mount, as the +11 yellows dont need them?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The shocks with the stock springs are not a bad idea at all. You may want to consider getting the BOSS springs and pairing them with your Koni's. Slightly lower, great handling, ride is still compliant on bad roads. That is what I did. I chucked the Steeda Sports, Strano sold me and went for the Boss Springs with the Yellows and I could not be happier.

that sounds like a great option how much was the Boss springs

FreddieG

Established Member
How are the boss springs compared to stock? I have the rear 55d springs now in the garage sitting waiting for the install. Are they similar to the boss?

pohnjarker

Established Member
thanks for the info, learned something today and will be following this thread as im looking to get the yellows also, just not sure of the spring. good luck fun4me.

Grant808

Established Member
What about actual "takeoff" Boss springs? Anybody run those on a GT?

That was one of my previous plans. The actual Boss springs, not the Steeda ones made for the Boss. Currently running Boss shocks and struts with P springs on my GT.

How are the boss springs compared to stock? I have the rear 55d springs now in the garage sitting waiting for the install. Are they similar to the boss?

The 55D springs are not as stiff as the Boss springs. 55D springs are lower...I've been meaning to throw them on the Boss just to see.

So I'm deciding between these three springs:
Stock Brembo
Stock Boss
Ford P

Opinions? For a DD w/ yellows.

Will the P springs work fine w/o a gt500 mount, as the +11 yellows dont need them?

I have all three...I'd go with the P springs. Very happy with them so far on my GT. Going to the track with this setup (finally) this weekend.

The P springs work with my original top mounts and the Boss struts, so you should be good to go for fit. I'm thinking of switching to the Koni yellows too...at some point.

Fun4me

Established Member
Anybody know the rate on the p springs?

How much lower are the P vs OEM Boss springs on a gt?

Grant808

Established Member
BTW, 26" tall tires look small even with the drop from the P springs. For the street, it looked way better with taller 27.7" tall 275/40/19, or the stock 255s.

8190307646_56dc6fc9ca_z.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Front Sway Rear Sway Front Springs Rear Springs
Base GT
34.6 mm 24mm 123 lbs. 156 lbs.
Brembo
34.6 mm 24mm 131 lbs. 167 lbs.
Boss 302
34.6 mm 25mm 148 lbs. 186 lbs.
Laguna Seca 34.6 mm 26mm 137 lbs. 191 lbs.

* measured in pound force inch (lbf-in)

Grant808

Established Member
Anybody know the rate on the p springs?

How much lower are the P vs OEM Boss springs on a gt?

The P spring rates are a bit of a mystery. Supposedly they're the same rate as the K springs and I've found a tested variable rate of 173-239F / 195-236R.

The trouble with figuring the drop numbers from different springs is all the different tires that come with the different cars stock. The Boss has the same front tire as a Brembo GT, but the rear is .3" shorter so it will 'lower' the rear ~.15" compared to the Brembo.

Fun4me

Established Member
The P spring rates are a bit of a mystery. Supposedly they're the same rate as the K springs and I've found a tested variable rate of 173-239F / 195-236R.

The trouble with figuring the drop numbers from different springs is all the different tires that come with the different cars stock. The Boss has the same front tire as a Brembo GT, but the rear is .3" shorter so it will 'lower' the rear ~.15" compared to the Brembo.

So, no drop in the front and .15" rear w/ the Boss vs Brembo?

Would P springs be ok for a DD? With the wife in the car?

Anybody do P springs and leave the stock LCA, panhard, etc?

Grant808

Established Member
So, no drop in the front and .15" rear w/ the Boss vs Brembo?

No...that was just for the stock tire variation. Supposedly the Boss is about 1/2" (11mm) lower in the front, and 1mm in the back...based on the Ford marketing info. What I was getting at is that I don't know if the quoted 1mm in the rear came from the tire or springs.

Would P springs be ok for a DD? With the wife in the car?

Yes...I think so, with a tall enough tire. Depends on your wife...mine is okay with the Boss ride. I think it matters more if you change anything else in the suspension, and the type of joints you use.

Anybody do P springs and leave the stock LCA, panhard, etc?

I'm still on the stock LCAs for now, but changed the panhard to center the axle. I was still with the stock one with the 55D springs and it was close enough to center for me.

Fun4me

Established Member
That was one of my previous plans. The actual Boss springs, not the Steeda ones made for the Boss. Currently running Boss shocks and struts with P springs on my GT.

The 55D springs are not as stiff as the Boss springs. 55D springs are lower...I've been meaning to throw them on the Boss just to see.

I have all three...I'd go with the P springs. Very happy with them so far on my GT. Going to the track with this setup (finally) this weekend.

The P springs work with my original top mounts and the Boss struts, so you should be good to go for fit. I'm thinking of switching to the Koni yellows too...at some point.

So in your opinion, why are the P springs better than the Boss springs?

Or for that matter, is there a pronounced differance between the Brembo
springs and the P springs?(handeling)

How hard is it to change them out? Might try all 3 if its not too hard.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
How hard is it to change them out?

Rear is easy, front's not as much. Need to remove the strut assembly and compress to spring to remove. Then locate all the ball bearings you just dropped out of the strut mount bearing and re-pack. Reverse the procedure and realign the front end.

Fun4me

Established Member
Rear is easy, front's not as much. Need to remove the strut assembly and compress to spring to remove. Then locate all the ball bearings you just dropped out of the strut mount bearing and re-pack. Reverse the procedure and realign the front end.

So about as hard as swapping the strut and spring. Shitty.

Are cc plates necessary for a "p spring" drop?

Grant808

Established Member
So in your opinion, why are the P springs better than the Boss springs?

Or for that matter, is there a pronounced differance between the Brembo
springs and the P springs?(handeling)

How hard is it to change them out? Might try all 3 if its not too hard.

P springs are better for handling, looks, reduced brake dive. I think this is the way the Boss should have come stock!

There's a huge difference between the Brembo and P springs.

Changing springs isn't *that* hard if you have the right tools...not so bad if you have enough tools...sux if you don't. I didn't drop any of my bearings, but I made sure the mount didn't separate when I took apart the strut assemblies.

Fun4me

Established Member
P springs are better for handling, looks, reduced brake dive. I think this is the way the Boss should have come stock!

There's a huge difference between the Brembo and P springs.

Changing springs isn't *that* hard if you have the right tools...not so bad if you have enough tools...sux if you don't. I didn't drop any of my bearings, but I made sure the mount didn't separate when I took apart the strut assemblies.

Ok, but p springs require supporting mods. Not everyone wants to change Lca's, Add brackets, cc plates/bolts. It seems like the the oem Boss springs offer better handeling, cheap and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread