koni yellows w/ stock brembo springs?

86merc

Established Member
I talked to Sam Strano about this when considering suspensions. He said the car will feel more planted and predictable. He said it would be a worth while upgrade even with stock GT springs. And of course you can tune the rebound to your needs. Another advantage.

Humboldt1498

Established Member
If it's your winter setup then why not just buy the koni SRTs? Koni yellows are awesome shocks, but they are kinda a waste if you don't track/auto x your car. SRTs are firmer then the stock shocks while still maintaining good ride quality. SRTs are the way to go for a daily driver that doesn't see track duty too.

86merc

Established Member
^ true. And they are cheaper. But still offer better performance than the stock units.

Fun4me

Established Member
If it's your winter setup then why not just buy the koni SRTs? Koni yellows are awesome shocks, but they are kinda a waste if you don't track/auto x your car. SRTs are firmer then the stock shocks while still maintaining good ride quality. SRTs are the way to go for a daily driver that doesn't see track duty too.

I'll be switching to a staggered 265 40 18/305 35 18 setup in the spring, and will want about an 1" drop, then.

I can get the '11+ yellows at a decent price that dont need the gt500 mounts.

Fun4me

Established Member
I talked to Sam Strano about this when considering suspensions. He said the car will feel more planted and predictable. He said it would be a worth while upgrade even with stock GT springs. And of course you can tune the rebound to your needs. Another advantage.

This is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.
I wasn't sure if the konis were designed for a 1"+ drop.
I hear theres a waitlist to talk to Strano, so thats cool that you discussed this combo w/ him.

Highway Star

Established Member
The shocks with the stock springs are not a bad idea at all. You may want to consider getting the BOSS springs and pairing them with your Koni's. Slightly lower, great handling, ride is still compliant on bad roads. That is what I did. I chucked the Steeda Sports, Strano sold me and went for the Boss Springs with the Yellows and I could not be happier.

Fun4me

Established Member
The shocks with the stock springs are not a bad idea at all. You may want to consider getting the BOSS springs and pairing them with your Koni's. Slightly lower, great handling, ride is still compliant on bad roads. That is what I did. I chucked the Steeda Sports, Strano sold me and went for the Boss Springs with the Yellows and I could not be happier.

I looked at those, but whatever website was selling them listed the Boss as the only application.

Thats probably what I'll go with, thanks. Where did you get yours? How much?

86merc

Established Member
This is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.
I wasn't sure if the konis were designed for a 1"+ drop.
I hear theres a waitlist to talk to Strano, so thats cool that you discussed this combo w/ him.

I called his phone number, left a quick message with what I was needing to discuss and he called me back. Never had a issue with him calling me back in a timely manner. I have ordered twice from him. He was nice to deal with and very informative. He spent a good 20 minutes talking to me about what I wanted. Before I even placed an order. Also talked me out of buying an adjustable panhard bar. Said try the stock one out and see if I even need the adjustable one. Sure enough the stock one still centered the rear end.

I looked at those, but whatever website was selling them listed the Boss as the only application.

Thats probably what I'll go with, thanks. Where did you get yours? How much?

I originally had the Koni Yellow and the Steeda "Boss" springs. It handled great in smooth roads. But it was WAY to stiff over cracks and bumps in the road. Mainly in the rear. The rate is very high in the back. I could feel the rear tires leaving the ground. Ended up putting the Strano spec'd (constant rates) Steeda Sports and it is WAY more comfortable. And much more predictable on roads that are not perfect.

On a road course I would pick the "Boss" springs over the Sports. But if you don't live in a area with perfect roads the Sports are a better option.

pohnjarker

Established Member
the yellows will do just fine with the stock springs, but even with your winter setup you could get new springs and still have enough room.

I was under the impression that the steeda ultralights were a better spring for the 5.0 due to it being a little more stiff but i hear way more talk about the sports.

edumacate me please.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
the yellows will do just fine with the stock springs, but even with your winter setup you could get new springs and still have enough room.

I was under the impression that the steeda ultralights were a better spring for the 5.0 due to it being a little more stiff but i hear way more talk about the sports.

edumacate me please.

That is not what I have heard. And Gus @ Steeda posted these specs on their forum. Now remember at one time I know some of their springs were made in constant and variable rates. Variable rates are impossible to rate unless you do it by a measurement of the compression at different places in the spring travel. So I think these are constant rates. It might be best to call Steeda for updated info.

The measurements are the advertised drop for a GT. Including the "Boss" springs. It lowers a true Boss302 car less.

Ultra lites: front 195lb 1 1/4" and rears 175lb 1 1/2"
Sports : front 200lb 1" and rears 175lb 1 1/4"
Comps: front 225lb 1" and rears 185lb 1 1/4"
Boss: front 225lbs 7/8" (GT) and rears 195# 1 1/4" (GT)

Last edited:

macbar13

Established Member
I just bought koni yellows and steeda sports for my track pack GT at strano performance parts. I bought them because the stock shocks suck! It pogo's like crazy and is severely underdamped IMHO.

I got the sports over the ultralights, because I didn't want to go to low AND the way I understand it, the ultralights even though they are listed as having a lower spring rate, actually end up being a higher spring rate than the sports. Let me expain...

The ultralights are progressive wound springs and the sports are linear. So you would think the progressive's would have a better ride. BUT, if you have ever seen the ultralights in person... The progressive part you can almost squeeze together with your hand. So when they are mounted on the car, the progressive part is compressed and now you basically have a linear spring... And that section of spring is a higher rate, than the overall linear rate of the sports. The lower spring rate # listed on the ultralights is the average of the two sections.

At least that is how I understand it.

I haven't had the chance to install them yet. I didn't get camber plates either. I think I'm going install them with stock bushings and see how far out the camber is. I'm ok with -1.5 degrees, but if higher than that, then I will get the steeda camber plates.

Last edited:

Fun4me

Established Member
But if you don't live in a area with perfect roads the Sports are a better option.[/QUOTE]

Is there any part of Chicago with perfect roads? Thats why I'm not ready to go lower, especially for the winter.

@merc86 Did you get rid of the highway shake on expansion joint roads?

86merc

Established Member
Is there any part of Chicago with perfect roads? Thats why I'm not ready to go lower, especially for the winter.

@merc86 Did you get rid of the highway shake on expansion joint roads?

Ya, our roads suck. haha That is why the Steeda "Boss" springs had to go.

I am serious when I say I could feel the rear tires leave the ground over bumps in the road with the Boss springs. The rear springs were just too stiff. Maybe it was a combination of the Boss springs, the yellow shocks and the hard F1 GT500 wheels and tires. But the Sports, yellow shocks and F1 tires it is much better. The Sport springs are much better going over bumps in the road. And over all ride quality is better. But it is not as flat in hard cornering. But nothing like the stock springs. I am very happy with the Sport & yellow combo.

Fun4me

Established Member
@86Merc Did you have a shaking, rocking feeling on the stock setup at highway speeds?
Did it stop w/ the yellows?

86merc

Established Member
mmmm It had a "floating" feeling at times when stock. Not as much as a back and forth rocking motion. Unless I was braking or accelerating heavily. I did the springs and Koni at the same time. So hard to say. But I am sure the Koni alone would help control that. It has a stiffer valving. But it will only be able to do so much with a soft spring rate.

It is a system that has to work together. People use stock shock and struts but put a stiffer rate lowering spring may complain the ride is bouncy. The shocks can't control the car movement as well because they are not matched well. So you will find a limit of how well the Koni work with a soft stock spring versus a better matched spring. You will make improvements in one or two areas. But maybe not in another area. But you still improved two areas. Just as you build an engine with a complete combo in mind you have to do the same with the suspension. I can't see changing the shocks and struts really hurting you. Especially if you plan to do lowering springs soon.

Users who are viewing this thread