Knock sensors (Good/important information)

Brutal Metal

Established Member
This thread is getting good...... Here is a link to my dyno sheet. The last pull was with the knock sensors turned off. I was running crappy 7-11 93octane fuel and my tuner wanted to show what my car was capable of. I think in my current form the sensors are a little desensitized. I made some excellent gains though....318.6hp and 335tq is pretty respectable for my mods. Here is a link to my Dyno sheet....Imageshack - 01cobrasm5 Click on FULL SIZE when you get to the page....
help me out 2001asp what was the difference in peak HP from the runs with the knocks on and the last one with it off??

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Brutal I know that my knock sensors are off, now. If you are using the SCT software then you might wanna get your tuner to check your file, becuase SCT has a backwards turn off for our computers. Unless there has been a design change, which I seriuosly doubt there has. The SCT software has a oddity for our cars where whe nthe file is opened the sensors are shown to be off, but they are not. The tuner will have to turn the sensors on and then that lets the tuner turn the sensors off. Ken at Modular Depot told me about this after trying to figure out why I could'nt run nothing but I 12.70 after having my car tuned with SCT and it made more than power than when I ran the 12.45. I don't know about Diablo.

Jamie R.
Cool thanks Jamie so your thinking timing was getting pulled out by the knocks during those 12.70 runs? How much ET did you shave by turning them off? 12.70 to ???

Brutal Metal

Established Member
My knock sensors are turned off and I am running at 28* total timing at WOT and have been for a year without any issues. Just checked my plugs a month ago and they look almost brand new.

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear OzzDOA, thanks!!

2001asp

Established Member
help me out 2001asp what was the difference in peak HP from the runs with the knocks on and the last one with it off??

It looks about 25tq and about 15-20hp peak to peak. If you run with the knock sensors off, you run the risk of a bad tank of gas and possible boom goes the Dynamite..... Be careful and have your tuner make sure the tune is set to withstand a bad tank of gas if it should happen.:beer:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What are some characteristics of having the timing being pulled as the engine nears redline under boost with a centri? Does the timing have any effect on the redline, boost (even though it's a centri)?

I have a very very conservative tune that came with the car. I'm pretty sure that this tune is too conservative and pulls way too much timing than necessary in the higher RPM's under boost.

I guess I'll just have to take it to the tuner and see what they say.

Homer

Brutal Metal

Established Member
It looks about 25tq and about 15-20hp peak to peak. If you run with the knock sensors off, you run the risk of a bad tank of gas and possible boom goes the Dynamite..... Be careful and have your tuner make sure the tune is set to withstand a bad tank of gas if it should happen.:beer:
DAMM that's a HUGE Difference, I'm gonna make sure my tuner turns it off when I get a revision. From what I've read 93 Octane with 26 degrees of spark advance sounds like the ticket!! :thumbsup:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
What are some characteristics of having the timing being pulled as the engine nears redline under boost with a centri? Does the timing have any effect on the redline, boost (even though it's a centri)?

I have a very very conservative tune that came with the car. I'm pretty sure that this tune is too conservative and pulls way too much timing than necessary in the higher RPM's under boost.

I guess I'll just have to take it to the tuner and see what they say.

Homer
I bet lots of us New Edge guys are getting timing pulled cause of the knocks and don't even know it?? I need to dig deeper into this and find out Ricks tuning procedure. I noticed when I played back my newest datalog it looks like timing is being pulled, scrolling through the TP mode at WOT it'll go from 24 to the mid teens abruptly and it'll stay that way for a couple seconds till it starts to build up higher again?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member

Shit, that is ALOT of HP being lost by the Knock sensors. :eek:

Since the 03-04 Cobras come without knock sensors, I'm sure we're safe with turning them off.

Does anyone know the differences on KS between the Machs and our motors? If the Machs have a lowered sensitivity on them, it could explain the differences they get with mods.

Perhaps our KS are set too high? :nonono:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
will there be no oil leakage or anything? what do you wrap them up in just electrical tape?...can you give me some specifics it might be something i really need to do

No oil leakage, they're just raised bosses with threads in them. Just remove the single bolt that sucks them up tight to the block and that's it. Wrap them up with some padding and electrical tape. Make sure if you use some kind of cotton rag you completely wrap it with electrical tape. Not like it gets hot enough to start a rag on fire but just be safe, it's good policy.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Brutal I know the car was pulling timing because I was on the car hard and all it would run was some 70 somethings that night in cool air. After getting the tune fixed with the sensors off like they were off when I had my predator in the car the car ran some 60's in hot air and I honestly was'nt on the car near as hard. I just wanted to make sure it was ok in the tune, I had a half shaft popping so I was'nt trying to really get after it off the line and consequently was bogging the hell out of the car. I was very pleased with the passes looking at the increments, knowing how much the car bogged.

Jamie R.

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
No oil leakage, they're just raised bosses with threads in them. Just remove the single bolt that sucks them up tight to the block and that's it. Wrap them up with some padding and electrical tape. Make sure if you use some kind of cotton rag you completely wrap it with electrical tape. Not like it gets hot enough to start a rag on fire but just be safe, it's good policy.

Thanks a lot, sounds like that will be my next project. I just found out that when they put my motor in, being that it still uses the 97 harness on the 01 motor my knock sensors aren't even plugged up. Does anyone know of which wire to splice to which one, or if there is three wires or something crazy if there is any way of doing this? Thanks a lot I really appreciate the info.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Hey Jamie R or OzzDOA have you ever tweaked your timing to the point you actually heard your cars pinging when you had the knocks turned off? I've never encountered it and my spark plugs don't show signs of detonation so it's pretty obvious the sensors are pulling timing and I DON'T WANT THAT! And as far as making them less sensitive F that, if there's a chance they'll kick in by vibration or other outside factors not related to actual detonation why cost yourself potential peak power? 03-04's don't have em and seem to run FINE!
You know how we did it back in the day with our Fox Bodys, turn the distributor till it pings then back it off a hair and boom your done, if it could only be so easy nowadays, haha!!

Last edited:

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
i redneck rigged my knock sensors today...since my 97 harness does not plug up to my 01 knock sensors i just simply spliced them...then i moved them from under the valley to where they are easily accessible and wrapped them up in swimming pool noodles foam that i stole out of my dads pool...just got a little piece off and they slid right in...then i wrapped them in about a mile of electrical tape and zip tied them to the fire wall where the strut tower brace holes are...car seems to run way better since before they weren't even plugged up

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
i redneck rigged my knock sensors today...since my 97 harness does not plug up to my 01 knock sensors i just simply spliced them...then i moved them from under the valley to where they are easily accessible and wrapped them up in swimming pool noodles foam that i stole out of my dads pool...just got a little piece off and they slid right in...then i wrapped them in about a mile of electrical tape and zip tied them to the fire wall where the strut tower brace holes are...car seems to run way better since before they weren't even plugged up

Nice! :rockon:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Does anyone know the differences on KS between the Machs and our motors? If the Machs have a lowered sensitivity on them, it could explain the differences they get with mods.

i don't think they are any different...not 100% sure though

Users who are viewing this thread