Knee Question - Meniscal Tear

MG0h3

Established Member
All that gets fixed with the knee replacement, my man. Just keep in mind there’s no giving you the knee you had when you were 20. As long as you work hard with therapy, and have realistic expectations, you’ll do fine

My ortho recommended I undergo a procedure where they take a snip of my cartilage grow it in a lab, then put it back in my knee.

Are you familiar with these procedures and their effectiveness?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That’s the correct way to repair the meniscal root tear—as opposed to simply removing it, or using darts or staples to fix it. If you’re comfortable with the doc, I’d proceed with surgery. I hate to minimize the complexity of any surgery, and people are always entitled to get multiple opinions, but this should be fairly routine. Getting multiple opinions doesn’t always get you a better surgeon or outcome.
I’ve been on both sides of the 2nd/3rd opinion and can tell you people get sent to the wrong doc for the second opinion plenty of times, or the doc giving the second opinion might be fantastic, but purposely sniffs out a problem patient they simply don’t want to deal with and recommends something they know the patient won’t go for, etc.

Thank you. That was our impression also after speaking with him. This isn't an uncommon procedure.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I wish I could watch my procedures - live, not a video. I have watched a number of hip surgeries from simple scopes to replacements.

I'll find out later today what they want to do with my hip. Yay...

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wish I could watch my procedures - live, not a video. I have watched a number of hip surgeries from simple scopes to replacements.

I'll find out later today what they want to do with my hip. Yay...

Well good luck. I hope everything goes as smoothly as it can. I'm gonna need to find another source to get my daily joke fix in your absence. ;)

Adower

Established Member
I am due to get a knee replacement in the next few months.
I have no cartilage left on the inside, 2 tears of the meniscus, and the ACL is torn.
Lots of fun getting around. Can't bend the knee more than 90* at best and can not put any weight on it when it is bent. Still go to work every day and dead leg it around the shop.
I wish I was 15 again. Lol.
My dad got a total knee replacement a year ago. Couldn’t believe he went in and actually walked out the next day. Modern medicine is incredible.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
15 years ago my Dad opted to do a double knee replacement. That was tough. He's a Marine though. So just another day in the park. lol. I wish I had 20% the strength that man has. He's actually getting one of them replaced again March 17.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Well good luck. I hope everything goes as smoothly as it can. I'm gonna need to find another source to get my daily joke fix in your absence. ;)
Thanks! Hope to keep up the joke thing. What the hell else am I going to do?

Seems a revision is in order from a previous repair (by a different doctor). I am not a candidate for a replacement, but will be eventually. Previous labrum repair has anchors, he may redo the whole thing or just clean up/correct and take off a giant bone spur that has gone deep into the joint. Waiting for scheduler to call so we can get some timeline.

Again I say - yay...

Users who are viewing this thread