Killed a coil pack washing the engine

Silverboost

Established Member
**** shit ****!!!!!!!! I knew it was only a matter of time before I made this stupid mistake and I can't tell you how many other post I have seen where people did the same exact thing. My back 2 spark plug valleys where about half full of water and my car sat long enough that the water was a murkey brown. Suprisingly before I found this out I had driven the car and noticed no misfiring. I changed all the plugs and took it for a spin last night and I could feel it misfiring down low on wot. Called Steve@Tousley and ordered up 2 more coil packs and thanks to him he saved me about $80. I think only one of the coil packs is damaged since all the the spark plugs looked like they were all firing good except the one closest to the fire wall on the passenger side.

Silverboost

Established Member
I hear on reading the posts.Any trouble getting the plugs out after sitting in the water?

I didn't have any trouble getting the plugs out, but it looked pretty nasty down in there. The spark plug nearest the firewall on the passenger side looked like it definitely wasn't firing right. I am just glad nothing was damaged.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
If you would spend less time making that thing pretty and more time running it hard you would have less trouble!!!!!
Just kidding bro.
What the status on the clutch?

Silverboost

Established Member
If you would spend less time making that thing pretty and more time running it hard you would have less trouble!!!!!
Just kidding bro.
What the status on the clutch?

The status on the clutch is not looking good...given the way the economy is looking right now I am trying to pay of a few other things first...I am still on the fence to whether or not I am going to upgrade the input shaft.

Even with the misfiring the other night...I could not get traction for nothing in 3rd and 4th gear on the interstate in this cold weather. I am not used to get sideways at 90mph.

I really don't understand why some of you guys wash the engine. I wouldn't risk soaking anything electrical considering it can be hard to cover all the electrical components before washing. Just use those Armor all orange wipes to clean of the easily accessible greasy areas. So what if the engine bay isn't perfectly clean. Thats like busting your hump every week to keep chrome wheels clean when you know its just a matter of time before break dust gets all over it. When I was younger I used to do all those things and as I got older I thought why waste time doing all those things when its just going to keep getting dirty. Flame suit on.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I really don't understand why some of you guys wash the engine. I wouldn't risk soaking anything electrical considering it can be hard to cover all the electrical components before washing. Just use those Armor all orange wipes to clean of the easily accessible greasy areas. So what if the engine bay isn't perfectly clean. Thats like busting your hump every week to keep chrome wheels clean when you know its just a matter of time before break dust gets all over it. When I was younger I used to do all those things and as I got older I thought why waste time doing all those things when its just going to keep getting dirty. Flame suit on.

I agree. I don't get anally crazy when washing and detailing the car, because I drive it. I don't show it, I don't trailer it, or park it for excessive amounts of time (beside winter). I just clean it, dry it, and drive it. Enjoy the car while you have it.

Juruense

Banned
I blast the whole engine down with the wand at the spray and wash.

Check out the 1/2" gap under the leading edge of the hood, it ain't watertight. There are also a couple vents in the hood you may have noticed them :)

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I blast the whole engine down with the wand at the spray and wash.

Check out the 1/2" gap under the leading edge of the hood, it ain't watertight. There are also a couple vents in the hood you may have noticed them :)

Good point on the vents! MY insulator is cut out a little more too.

Do you guys put towels under those vents while washing? I mean I doubt Ford would have put those in the hood if they would potentially harm the engine.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
stuff like this is why my engine dont see water. i feel im risking too much. I wipe and clean with some cleaner and a microfiber towel (microfiber only on everything)

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Going by that rationality you should probably never wipe your ass either.;-)

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
i have my hood vents open(hood mod) and i've never had problems washing the car because of that plus the water does not go on the engine....it hits the radiator and the coolant tanks in the front.i never tape,use towels or use something to cover them when i wash....and i do wash a lot.
you guys should not worry about covering them when you wash.these cars are designed to be driven in the rain too..
when you use water directly on the engine that's a different story.

Silverboost

Established Member
The only reason my engine was being washed was due to me trying to find a possible leak in my air conditioning system. When I had refilled the system when I did the Killer Chiller install I had gotten refrigerant with dye all over the place. When I added more dye to the system and put a black light on the engine the dye from before was glowing like crazy so I tried to clean all that shit off. Normally I don't soak the engine like this since it is never dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread