Kenny Brown Cobra Coupe Springs - The Company is done, Moog an option?

DonMTV

Established Member
Kenny Brown Cobra Coupe Springs might have reverse engineering option!

I read in another forum somewhere that Moog actually made the Kenny Brown Springs. Can anyone confirm that? If so, is there a chance that Moog has these springs available to purchase? Perhaps there is a shipment that never made it to Kenny Brown before they closed up. I would love to get a set of these springs as I have heard amazing things about them.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
that's an interesting thought.....I already have KB rears and am looking for a set of (coupe) fronts now

DonMTV

Established Member
Called Federal Mogul who is the main company for Moog. I talked to the tech people at Moog and they make OEM upgrade springs, but not for Kenny Brown. He said they don't make anything for that type of line that Kenny Brown offered. Ok, so back to square one. Is there anyone out there who might know who actually manufactured Kenny Brown springs? If we can figure that out we might be able to purchase direct springs that might have already been made, but not sent to Kenny Brown.

I guess Steeda could be another option as a lot of people speak of the drop and ride being similar to the Kenny Brown Cobra Springs for the coupe.

Don

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
DonMTV said:
I guess Steeda could be another option as a lot of people speak of the drop and ride being similar to the Kenny Brown Cobra Springs for the coupe.

Don
I think that is the only choice for guys like me and you who didn't but them when they made them... :nonono: :bash:

04Venom

Established Member
No need to feel left out for not getting the Kenny Brown springs. The Steedas work great and give about the same drop. If you want the slammed look, neither the KB or Steedas fit the bill.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
04Venom said:
No need to feel left out for not getting the Kenny Brown springs. The Steedas work great and give about the same drop. If you want the slammed look, neither the KB or Steedas fit the bill.

My Steeda springs dropped the front realllll low, and the back sat up like it was on jacks. Lowered the front around 1.5/1.75" and lowered the back only .5" or maybe .75".... I wasn't content with the Steedas at all.

I'm sure if you call KB, or shoot them a message on modfords, they'll be happy to help you out. Lots of those guys over there are friends with the family and crew.

DonMTV

Established Member
DKS2814V,
Thanks for the info on the modfords. The KB phone number is disconnected from what I have read in these boards. Kenny is sick and they shut down operations. I even took out one of my old magazines to track down an old KB ad to find the dealers around the country. I called a lot of them and they didn't have the Cobra Coupe Springs. They are popular. There has to be some spring company that made the springs for Kenny Brown. I can't imagine they forged their own springs in Indy.

Don

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
DonMTV said:
...There has to be some spring company that made the springs for Kenny Brown. I can't imagine they forged their own springs in Indy.

Don

I agree...

I appreciate your efforts at tracking them down...hopefully someone can figure out who made them

Last edited:

DonMTV

Established Member
Ok, everyone I sent an email to someone who has been selling Kenny Brown parts and cars on Ebay. I had originally sent him an email a month ago to find out if he somehow had any Cobra Springs with no reply. I emailed him again the other day to ask him if he knew who might have been manufacturing the Kenny Brown Springs. He told me that SuperCoil was a possibility.

I did a Yahoo and Google search for this company and I didn't really find anything out. I did find that there were some RV forums that talked about SuperCoil springs. I then did find a company that had SuperCoils on their site. They are actually a spring manufacturer. The company is called Coil Spring Specialties and they are in Kansas.

I spoke to one of the tech people and asked if they might have supplied Kenny Brown with their springs. He didn't know, as the owner of the company is the engineer and has worked with ALOT of different companies. I gave him my number if he were to find out something.

He did mention that they can make springs for ANY application. He said if they have the stock spring specs they can change 12 different variables to get exactly what someone is looking for. I told him that the Kenny Brown Spring was a VERY popular spring because the drop seemed to be perfect for the car and the ride was not compromised over stock, but indeed helped with performance.

He said if I could track down a set and send them to them the company could then "reverse engineer" the spring. The springs could be sent to them, they test them the day received and then shipped back out the same day. Very cool.

I am not sure what all this information does, but it could mean a custom line of springs could be made. Like "Don's Performance Springs" LOL. Ok, that won't work. Hahahaha.

Don

RedfireSnake

Established Member
That's interesting. I was thinking of trying to do the same thing...find out who actually manufactured the springs for KB. I, like a lot of others, waited too long and now can not get the springs(of course i didn't know they would be going out of business).

I was thinking that if i could find who made the springs, maybe i would be able to get a set made to those specs they used. In any case, i'm very interested in what you find out. Definitely shoot me a PM and let me know what you find out. I'm sure others would like you to post that info as well.

hawkls1

Established Member
I will be selling my 03-04 steeda cobra spring.I'am install MM coilovers. and want be need them.I will take 100.00 + shiping.they have about 22,000 miles om them.

whocares

Established Member
DonMTV said:
He said if I could track down a set and send them to them the company could then "reverse engineer" the spring. The springs could be sent to them, they test them the day received and then shipped back out the same day. Very cool.

I am not sure what all this information does, but it could mean a custom line of springs could be made. Like "Don's Performance Springs" LOL. Ok, that won't work. Hahahaha.

Don
I have a set of 03/04 KB coupe springs in the living room floor I haven't had time to install yet. I would be willing to let them be used if I don't have to pay for shipping(I hope that doesn't sound bad). I don't like the fact of copying someones product, but since they aren't making them any more I guess it would be OK.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
whocares said:
I have a set of 03/04 KB coupe springs in the living room floor I haven't had time to install yet. I would be willing to let them be used if I don't have to pay for shipping(I hope that doesn't sound bad). I don't like the fact of copying someones product, but since they aren't making them any more I guess it would be OK.
TTT for that, Or I could just give you a boat load of cash for them and call it good-LOL

DonMTV

Established Member
Whocares,
Wow, that is an awesome offer!!!! I can give them a call on Monday to verify things and get back to you. I can understand the whole copying thing, but there could be a chance that they actually made the springs, but the person I talked to didn't know at the time of my phone call to him.

If there is anyone out there who actually knows who made the springs for Kenny Brown please let us know so that we can get in touch with the actual makers of the springs. That is the best option. If we can't figure it out, we could go this route of "reverse engineering" the Kenny Brown Springs that Whocares is willing to provide.

Thanks for all of the people who have posted. Whocares, thank you again for the offer and I will definitely be in touch.

Take care,
Don

pipeliner

Established Member
Don

Can you give me the gentlemans phone number in a PM. I need a set of custom rate springs made. Also I have a set of KB springs sitting in my garage, but I need to install the this weekend.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread