Kenne Bell or Whipple

2003RedfireCobra

Learning More Every Day
Established Member
I know this topic is covered on here all the time. But please bear with me because I need some other info as well.

I know I'm going to get many different views on this but I think I might be looking at getting a Whipple or Kenne Bell.

I had a couple questions though.

I want either a 2.2 Kenne Bell or a 2.3 Whipple. But I want to know what I should go with? I mean 2.2s are all about the scream. But are they the best blower they make or is it popular because of the whine?
Also 2.3 Whipple are good also. I heard there customer service is too notch also. A far cry from the sketchy KB customer service. Or so I have heard.
I think they are about the same power wise.

Also if I go to a twin screw, will I need any other supporting mods which I don't have now?

Does my ported lower intake cause a problem for either?
Is this a direct bolt on for my car? Like take the stage 5 off and drop the other on?

Thanks guys. You always help me out when I have a problem.
Please be nice still learning everyday so sorry in advance. =)

black 10th vert

Established Member
There are many threads on this subject already, but in your defense, it sounds like you have already read a lot about them, since you know most of the obvious differences, and have asked some good questions. Hopefully the "use the search function" police won't attack you too badly, since this really isn't a typical which is better?

As far as the ported lower, that will only help optimize the airflow, so that's a good thing to have, no matter which way you go. With regard to which one is better..., most that choose the KB 2.2, do so because they love the insanely loud whine of it. Power potential seems to be about the same between the 2 that you mention. The KB 2.2 is no longer made, though, so it can only be found used, and when they come up, they sell rather quickly, so you have to be ready to pull the trigger financially! If you don't care that much about the loud whine, or would prefer to be a bit more stealth, then the Whipple, is probably the best choice, as it is readily available, both new, and used. Overall, reliability seems to weigh a bit in the favor of the Whipple, from what I've read in the past, but many on here are very happy with their KBs, so that is probably negligible. Good luck!

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
You can buy a brand new 2.3L Whipple. Any 2.2L KB you get is going to be used.
I don't see the point in buying a used blower when you can buy a new one for
roughly the same price.

A 2.3 and a 2.2 both make nice power and you can run 10.50's with either one
pretty easily...or you can run 9's with them if you really dial things in (and spend
a good chunk of $$$).

I would suggest that you buy a Whipple.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
It seems like people use to be all about kenne bell while people are now starting to like whipple better.. What's the reason for this and why?

Here is a thread on modular fords made by a guy at KB talking about some issues. It seems that they have a very small amount of defects overall. I've never read anything about problems with a whipple though.
[ame=http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115522]Answers to Kenne Bell oil questions. - ModularFords.com[/ame]

Here is a good read comparing Kenne Bell to Lyscholm (Whipple)
http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-tec...ORvsLYSHOLM.pdf
But keep in mind the info is from Kenne Bell, yet they bring up some good points.

I think that word has quickly spread of supposed problems with Kenne Bell blowers and crappy customer service. I contacted them and spoke with dude that was very helpful when asked about rebuilding a 2.2.

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I think that word has quickly spread of supposed problems with Kenne Bell blowers and crappy customer service. I contacted them and spoke with dude that was very helpful when asked about rebuilding a 2.2.

Keep in mind that the internet is full of people that don't make decisions
based upon real world experience. Someone's "friend of a friend" heard
something and it automatically becomes fact.

02reaper

Established Member
I have read a lot more post's where people have had problems with KB and their service, than I have read about Whipples. Seems KB does take care of a few people's problems here and there, but its more like if your name gets drawn out of the hat that week, as to whether or not your under warranty, or you got to pay for it yourself. KB has never had a failure either, its always the customers fault. It doesn't matter if its their supercharger, boost a pump, or whatever else they sell you. These are the reasons I went with the Whipple myself, and its been problem free.

bb97gt

Established Member
KB customer service is terrible!!! Go with the whipple you will be very satisfied, plus they look much better IMO

Presteige

Established Member
I have a Kenne bell 2.8 and although have had problems I contacted KB through SVTP and the helpd me out alot. Mike was a great guy to deal with.... as far as peformance... Id say KB.... I have noticed more KB cars do better out of the hole(at the track) its like the get the power quicker but as far as from a roll the 2.2 kb and 2.3 whipple are side by side..... like everyone told me look at your future plans... how far do you want to go with your build? whats your goal in power? and go from there..... oh and just a little bonus, KB has a louder whine;-) :beer:good luck with your KB decision

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
i had problems several times with my 2.3kb on my L..... Ive since switched to a 2.3 whipple and no more problems. On the 2.2KB vs 2.3 Whipple on a cobra debate id choose the whipple just for the fact that the whipple makes more tq than a 2.2KB from what ive seen.

10-43 This 03

Established Member
I have a KB 2.6 on my Termi, don't get me wrong I love it but I bought the car that way. If I had to buy my own I would get a Whipple. From what I have seen the Whipple 2.3's are making the most power. Me and my buddy have the exact same setup but he runs his through cats and he is making close to 50 more hp and about 30 lbs of torque than me. Granted I haven't got my stuff tuned over 5400 rpm yet but I just dont see me picking up 50 hp by 6400rpm. Maybe maybe not. I will have my new BAP this week and will be back on the dyno so I will let ya know final numbers for me.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Granted I haven't got my stuff tuned over 5400 rpm yet but I just dont see me picking up 50 hp by 6400rpm.

It'll make power to 7,000rpm. My little 2.2 does, but I only spin it that
high at the track. Your blower is still sleeping at 5,400. It'll wake up
with another 1,000 (engine) rpm or so.

The whole whipple vs. KB debate doesn't make much sense to me.
They are both nice pieces and they make good power. Just buy
whatever you like best.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
My close friend had his KB sent with internal parts missing. He then left for iraq with the air force. He got back and installed the blower, it blew up. KB didn't honor a DAMN THING and told him tough kittens.

Users who are viewing this thread