Kenne Bell Mammoth vs. Whipple 3.4

Which would you rather run

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
357cstang and 04torchred.....

what are you using for fuel rails...?....Any issues....And thanks for the info about the 3.4..

357cstang..you engine bay looks killer..your 3.80 upper fits under the hood..I guess it should considering the factory pulley on the eaton is 3.65 i believe..

Yup, Fore Fuel rails, they're absolutely AWESOME and I couldn't be happier with the quality of their products. I used their fuel hat as well since I don't have a race car and wanted in tank pumps ;-) (04torchred has 3 external walbros whereas I have dual in tank)

The 3.80 easily clears the stock hood with the 1/2" K-member spacers. It took about an hour to make the spacers, cost around $40 in supplies and they are a piece of cake to install. I've driven the car just under 3000 miles now with no adverse affects and it gives me the ability to run up to a 4.5" pulley now, although I won't bother making one. (Math: 3.5" pulley fits under stock hood. Lower the blower snout 1/2" allows the radius to be 1/2" larger, thus the diameter can now be 1" larger. If a 3.5" fits under the stock hood and we give an extra 1" diameter, I can now fit a 4.5" pulley.)

And as 04torchred pointed out, the snout does sit taller on the Whipple than the stock Eaton.

357cstang

Established Member
Gotcha.....Thanks for the info.......

Cant you just then run a larger lower and a smaller upper so that you dont have to get spacers for the K member or notch the hood..?

You could run a different setup so you don't have to get spacers, but the largest upper pulley you can get under there is a 3.5" with a stock hood. I'm a big proponent of the stock lower pulley on the 3.4L Whipple as I've seen them break a few crank snouts now without the stock cage down there. Therefore my options were limited for a 20psi combination.

04torchred

Established Member
Gotcha.....Thanks for the info.......

Cant you just then run a larger lower and a smaller upper so that you dont have to get spacers for the K member or notch the hood..?

Larger lower and a smaller upper will give you a lot of boost. Smaller lower will slow the blower down, larger lower will speed it up. Upper pullies are the opposite way, smaller upper gives more boost since you spin the blower faster and a larger upper will slow you down.

The k-member spacers aren't bad. I have been driving mine for over 5000kms with no issues, car feels no different.

357cstang

Established Member
Can we all agree that black is faster than red though?

(Edit: Just realized my sig picture shows that my other car is red... dammit)

04torchred

Established Member
Can we all agree that black is faster than red though?

(Edit: Just realized my sig picture shows that my other car is red... dammit)

Just admit it red is faster... hahaha

Since when did external pumps make it a race car... the -12 AN fuel hose just gives away any sleeper attempts.

A whipple has black and red so we are both slow!!

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just a reminded...

Whipple 3.4L..

Current Twinscrew Record holders..

JR Lewis- 03/04 Cobra 3.4L Whipple
1.334 60ft
[email protected] 1/8th
[email protected] 1/4
Sorry but I can't find the vid.

Dante's Modular Performance - 99-04 Lightning 3.4L Whipple
9.54@142 Mph
[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22380977"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22380977[/ame]

Evolution Performance- GT500 3.4L Whipple
9.34@147mph
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=pd20H6k-_sc"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=pd20H6k-_sc[/ame][/QUOTE]

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
i say whipple>Kb based on the thread in the blower bistro about their customer service and bearing failures.....if i were to spend that money and had a propblem I would expect the vendor to support me

2004silvercobra

Established Member
i say whipple>Kb based on the thread in the blower bistro about their customer service and bearing failures.....if i were to spend that money and had a propblem I would expect the vendor to support me

i have never had a problem and have always had good customer service from them. they rebuilt my 2.2 for me for free all because they sent it out a few days later than they said they would, they decided to not charge me on the rebuild..

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
Can I get the Whipple 3.4L for $3800 please Alex?

IMG_1517.gif

Oh snap, already did :) Enlarged my inlet. Stock cams, stock heads, tune from Lund and the car made the power in my signature only turning the engine to 5900 on pump gas with timing pulled. Timing is turned up a bit now and the car feels VERY strong.

3000 miles and no problems.

3499.00 for mine, brand new , takes a litle calling around and talk story with the distributor, mine came with two 3.5 pullies, not sure why, anybody like one 3.5 whipple pulley ?

357cstang

Established Member
3499.00 for mine, brand new , takes a litle calling around and talk story with the distributor, mine came with two 3.5 pullies, not sure why, anybody like one 3.5 whipple pulley ?

I didn't pay 3800. ;-)

I spent less than 3800 on the blower and the modified inlet, shipped. 3800 is the going price though I think, so I was being fair.

They're a huge bargain in comparison and the new inlet/throttle body system will put these blowers over the top! :rockon:

Jroc

Established Member
Back from the dead.

Because I'm would rather have a broad powerband on a powerful streetcar than a peaky one with huge topend power. Don't get me wrong I think turbo's are very badass and I have nothing against them, I personally would just rather keep my DD Cobra having a positive displacement blower. Different strokes for different folks. Also going from the Eaton to a Twin Screw is more simple than go from the Eaton to a Turbo. Still with the 3.4, and Mammoth you do have to mod stuff to make it fit the car.

357cstang

Established Member
If your looking for big power why spend $6000 when a hp Twin Turbo kit is $6800? The turbos make more power per PSI.

Street car, it's a lot of fun, and my blower was under $3500.

There's a lot more money involved with a turbo build.

Users who are viewing this thread